Gun Powder Storage Danger Help Please

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OzarkSaints, Aug 10, 2010.

1. OzarkSaints

OzarkSaints Monkey++

hey fellas...need some quick help please....have some reloading supplies and in the pocess of moving.....need to know if there is any actual danger of combustion/explosion if I left the powder stored very temporarily in the back of my truck wuth a topper for about 2 weeks? the truck would not be in the shade and I am in OKC, so it IS hot here....any help would be great...thanks!

2. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I think you will be fine.

3. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I would use coolers as primary storage containers for my powder cans, and jugs and use towels inside to cushion things, then make sure it is well secured. I have done several moves, (22 years in navy 17 on ships), and they don't move ammo or powder. Never had any problems, ever. Real black powder is the worst!!! It is a class A explosive, and heat does make it unstable...... so Black powder might be a problem.

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

With smokeless, I don't see a problem. However, if there is a way to put it off the truck in a friend's place, I'd do it simply to avoid a potential problem with with an accident. You might check with your new boss, if he's gun savvy, he might let you put it in the office ---

Black powder is too unstable when heated to the temps your car might experience parked in the sun.

Imho.

5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Just wrap each powder container in a light sheet of crinkled newspaper followed by a good wrap of aluminum foil. Be certain to leave a little air space between the foil and the newspaper. This will drop the temperature inside the plastic containers considerably.

6. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

AMEN!...Fact!

7. OzarkSaints

OzarkSaints Monkey++

thanks a ton fellas...much appreciated....dont know what the hell I'd do without y'all!!!

8. CrufflerJJ

CrufflerJJ Monkey++

Most importantly, DO NOT store your gunpowder in a container you're using as an ashtray.

<style type="text/css"> BODY,.aolmailheader {font-size:10pt; color:black; font-family:Arial;} a.aolmailheader:link {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; font-weight:normal;} a.aolmailheader:visited {color:magenta; text-decoration:underline; font-weight:normal;} a.aolmailheader:active {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; font-weight:normal;} a.aolmailheader:hover {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; font-weight:normal;} </style>"Prank goes wrong, woman suffers burns"

I guess so!

See:
    Prank goes wrong, woman suffers burns

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7