Hand Pump

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Motomom34, Sep 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I plan on having a well again. One area that I need education on is an emergency hand pump. I found one and they have good reviews but I wanted to ask the experts here what they thought about the setup and cost. The one linked is supposed to be easy pumping which is good if someone has small children or arthritis. It also works with deep wells.

Hand Pump and Solar Pumps, for Your Water Well: SimplePUMP Co.
    Here is the pricing specs with all the parts needed: Hand Pump for Your Water Well: SimplePUMP: Example Price.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I thought CO had really deep wells.
    I don't know if hand pumps are pratical past 100 feet. I have never seen one in NM and our wells around here are 120 feet deep, that's shallow compared to CO wells.

Dunerunner and sec_monkey like this.
  3. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

image. I did my research about three years ago and settled on this one.
    Things may have changed or you might draw a different conclusion. It is all stainless all the way to the bottom. I purchased the best one I could because when you need it, failure is not an option. It was $2,600 I think, installed. Do it when you drill. You'll have to pull everything out to install this one later. It is inline with your regular pump.

Hand Water Pump, Hand Pump ,Well Hand Water Pump By Bison Pumps : Power of Water in Your Hands

4. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I have the simple pump that you linked. Mine also has the optional 12vdc gear motor, that can be installed in very few minutes after popping pivot pins out of handpump lever and taking lever off. If you have a 4" or 6" cased well you can install the simple pump without removing the existing submersible pump. With optional gear motor my whole unit cost about $2200. It took 3 people four hrs or so to install it.

5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I want to have one in case something happens and power is out indefinitely. Water is key to survival so having a system to getting water from the well is important.

6. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

THE ONLY HAND PUMP that gives you full use of all your home’s taps and plumbing fixtures, even from deep wells.

This from simplepumps ad is misleading. I can open any valve in my house and hand pump water to it. I can also pressurize my tanks by hand and have water later without pumping, like at night. It is some work. But if your using the hand pump your working already. I can also use mine to fill a holding tank and pump it through my existing plumbing with a solar powered 12 volt RV pump.

Motomom34, Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  7. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

good info thanks for the post

Motomom34 likes this.
  8. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Or, you could use a solar power system with batteries & inverter and have water when you want it... And be able to power other appliances.

9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

You don't have to use an inverter with a well. There are plenty of 24v dc pumps out there made to work with or with out batteries, heck they can run straight off solar panels.

sec_monkey and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  10. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

I went and purchased a pair of 12/24 VDC ranch pumps, along with a couple of rebuild kits. They will lift to 230 or so feet. I also put a 2nd pit-less adapter in the well head, and ran a buried line into the house, and connected it to a "tee" in the standard plumbing system.A mil-surp 200 gal potable water bladder in the attic allows normal water pressure. Haven't rigged a solar hot water device yet though.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UMPQ2IM/?tag=survivalmonke-20

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    Motomom34 and sec_monkey like this.
  11. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I've got big and small pitcher pumps from the farm, but I'm partial to rotary hand pumps. I use them daily for oil and solvents, and feel comfortable with them. Wells around here are shallow, with water at 18" below the surface.

12. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

@Motomom34, I agree here.

First, definitely have a look at some of Scott Hunt's SimplePUMP Youtube Videos. He uses, and highly recommends SimplePUMPs in many of his installations. He also is big on solar water pumping. A solar and a hand pump can be added to the same well, in fact. If you went with solar, depending on your location of course, you could have it pump into a tank above your home, to create a good gravity flow to the home. That way, you would not need batteries attached to the system. The solar pump would run during daylight hours, and be off at night. You would just have to size your tank accordingly.

The main question here, which I see has already been asked is, how deep would your well be?

Of course, there are other alternatives as well.

As you may know, we rely 100% on rainwater harvesting, here at the farm. For several years, we used a 12vdc ShurFlo (caravan / travel trailer) water pump to pressurize the system. You could also collect rainwater and similarly pressurize your system.

13. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Our well is deep, ~450 feet deep. I know nothing about hand pumps but don't think they are an option. I could put one on the cistern which holds 1500 gallons and that is something I need to do. I think the solar/hand pump combination makes a lot of sense.

EDIT: What about using a windmill for deep wells to fill a holding tank? No electronics to fail, no storage batteries... I would bet they would freeze up during our winters...

14. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Pneumatic well pump?

sec_monkey likes this.
  15. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Regardless of the hand pump selected, pumping water is hard work.

But it doesn't have to be.

The video at:

shows a Milkovic two-stage oscillator being used to pump water.

Normally, a water pump of the type shown requires the full arm strength of an adult, applied 100% on every stroke.

Notice in the video that the pump with oscillator is being operated by one finger tip.

What is not obvious is that for every five swings of the pendulum, only one swing gets a finger push. For the other four swings, the hand just rides along so it doesn't lose it place and rhythm.

Howzitwerk? I understand exactly because I have studied this device in detail. For now, I'll just call it magic. Anyone that wants to deeply understand this device will have to deeply study it. But understanding is not required for successful use: It's all a matter of weight and proportion. The drawings are easily copied and/or modified.

This same device makes a primo off-grid drophammer for any one that forges large amounts of iron in the boonies.

Use the oscillator with a water pump and a child can pump water all day long while sitting on a stump, reading a comic book and sucking on a lolly.

And, yes--it can be electrically operated with very small input to create a very large output. And the output can be electrical. But that's another story, which would require another case of beer.

Milkovic has a lot of stuff on the Net. Enjoy. (I did!)

Motomom34 likes this.
  16. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

FYI... Deep and shallow wells have nothing to do with how deep the well is.... it has to do with where the water in your well is ... you can have a 200ft shallow well or a 100 ft deep well

If you have a shallow well, it means that your water source is relatively close to the ground's surface. Your local water well drillers will measure the water table and calculate to what depth the well should be dug. This involves projecting the low point of the water table over the course of a year, including drought conditions.

Shallow wells typically are less expensive to drill because there's less labor and fewer materials involved. You'll need a shallow well pump for wells of 25 feet or less. But these pumps aren't submersible. Instead, they're placed in a well housing. They'll sometimes come with features to keep the motor from burning out.

As the name suggests, deep wells are required when the water table is further underground. If your property sits on certain types of rock, a deeper well may be required. Since the water is coming from so far underground, these wells may provide a higher level of protection from contamination than water that's coming from closer to the surface. A deep well drilling company can give you more specific information on these safeguards.

Deep well pumps are submersible. They're placed inside your well, sometimes at depths of several hundred feet. The pump's controls are at ground level. If a repair is needed, the pump will need to be raised for service.

YMMV

17. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Been there, done that, burned out the motor. Pump at 515 feet, overall depth unknown, I wasn't here for that and there are no records in this twp.

Witch Doctor 01 and sec_monkey like this.
  18. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

If I had s shallow east coast well I would still get a submersible pump.

19. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

[​IMG]

20. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

If you have a shallow well, it means that your water source is relatively close to the ground's surface.

Wrong. It means the water level in the casing is relatively close to the surface. Water table here is a few feet below grade, but well is over 600 ft. It is, however, a shallow well as the water is only 12 feet down in the casing...but the source is much deeper.

Similarly, not all deep well pumps are submersible. Jet pumps immediately come to mind...simple to rebuild and no need to pull the drop to repair it.

Personally, keep your submersibles.

SB21, Witch Doctor 01 and sec_monkey like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7