Handloading and the Geneva and Hague accords

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Marvin L. Steinhagen, Mar 8, 2018.

1. I was just pricing reloading supplies and I started looking at fmj bullets for my .30's. Then I realized I do not belong to any organization answerable to signatories of the Geneva or Hague conventions. Does anyone else see the morality of using soft point, expanding bullets to defend one's self in a life or death situation when there would be no expectation of a response by any law enforcement. Would you use what was available or what would work best to resolve the situation?

Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and UncleMorgan like this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

NOPE, These are EXACTLY the kind Projectiles I use for ALL of Ammunition, as I reLoad for ALL my Ammunition Needs...

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

The idea is to take the bad guy down by whatever means it takes including a mag dump of whatever is handy. I do not grok the distinctions between hollow point, softpoint or solid soft lead projos when it comes to stopping a threat.

4. You use only soft point/expanding bullets?

Gator 45/70 and UncleMorgan like this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

and Hollow Point Semi-Jacketed Projectiles in ALL the Rounds that are in our Defense HandGuns, and backup Loaded Magazines... and the only Rifle Ammunition I load that does NOT use Hollow Point Projectiles, is the 30-30 Ammunition for my Tube Fed Lever Action Rifles, and there I use Semi-Jacketed Flat Point Hard Lead Projectiles... This does NOT Include the High Accuracy Long Range Ammunition that I reload for the Custom DMPS AR10w/24" Stainless Bull Barrel... There I am loading mostly 168 Grain Spire-Point Jacketed Boat-Tails, and am working up a few other Loadings with both heavier, and lighter, 30 Cal. Projectiles... I do cast a bunch of .44Cal Soft Lead240 Grain Projectiles for my Ruger Old Army Stainless Pistol... (Black Powder)

6. That is my feeling also. I was harkening back to Mas Ayoob's "In the Gravest Extreme". He was adamant about not using any reloads for self defense let alone hollow points or expanding rounds. Of course that is in a world where you can expect an LE response (and lawyers). My P.O.V. is once a threat and it's target is identified, resolve it by the most effective, expedient way possible with as little danger to one's self.. Just wanted some feedback from others. I think it's called external validation.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  7. ghrit

Ayoob could not take a chance on exposure to liability for advocating something that MIGHT be in violation of some highly localized rule or regulation. I dare say that if you cornered him today and got him to talking off the record, he would agree with the above opinions.

That idea of not loading your defensive weapon with hand loads has been knocked around endlessly since Mas' writing and maybe even well before. I don't reload other than trap, so take no position; factory goes in my fun and defensive tools.

8. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

The only ammo I load that I won't use FMJ with is .22 caliber stuff from .22 Hornet to .220 Wilson Arrow.
    Everything larger that I load is effective enough with FMJ and good shot placement.
    I do have some handgun calibers where over-penetration with FMJ is a concern.

Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and UncleMorgan like this.
  9. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Geneva and Hague only apply to nations at war. Civil unrest is a totally different matter altogether. If someone is shooting at me I don't care about what ammo I'm using as long as it works!

10. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

The way I see it, not shooting an attacker with the deadliest ammunition available is just another way of giving them another shot at you. If it wasn't for the kick, I'd carry a little something in 40mm.

Some people are really tough.

Why one cop carries 145 rounds of ammo on the job

11. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I know a man who handloads for his 44 Mag home defense handgun with plastic shotshells loaded with pieces of cut brazing rod. Makes for a very awesome snake load with a slice and dice like pattern. He doesn't have to worry about over penetration thru multiple walls. From the patterns I have seen at 10, 20, and 30 feet I would not want to be on the receiving end. A lawyer friend of his told him to never ever admit they were specially loaded for self defense, but hold to the snake load story and having forgot that's what the gun was loaded with after his last fishing trip. Some squeamish liberal types might feel these loads were cruel and unusual and constitute a valid reason for a civil monetary law suit.

12. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Phase plasma rifle in 40 watt range.

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  13. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

We hand load pretty much every thing here, except 5.56 and 9 MM. We prefer high accuracy and range with the best design we can find, if it happens to be Hollow point, or soft point, then bonus! Where things get rich, I hand load defensive ammo for my carry 10 MM pistols, only because good Defensive ammo is still hard to find, or not up to the expectations of this cal! I'm very careful about what and how I load it, not that that makes it lawyer proof, but it's the best I can do. Once the break down of rule of law happens, then I don't care any longer about what any one thinks about what I use! Many of my weapons are hard to find good ammo for, or what's commonly available isn't that good, or mil spec only, so to effectiely employ them, they need to be hand loaded for!

sec_monkey, 3M-TA3 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I agree with odd Calibre....such international treaties concerning the laws of armed conflict only concern nations at war, to reduce unnecessary suffering between the combatants. It is a rather quaint anachronism...that led to advisories being included in the packaging of .22 Hornet 'survival rifles' issued to USAF air crew not to use them to avoid apprehension if shot down...that was what the Colt 1911 was for.

Law enforcement of course never had such restrictions placed upon them...criminals intent on using deadly force earned the right to be shot with the most deadly means to stop their deadly intentions decisively and immediately.

Civil war and civil unrest...Hague and Geneva don't apply...its a case of come as you are, with what you have.

15. Lone Gunman

Lone Gunman Draw Varmint!

Both the Hague Peace Conference, ‘formal conventions’ of 1899 and 1907, AND the Geneva Conventions (plural)* of 1949 (et al) — and as amended in 1977** — continue to be applied by the United States military to all typical small arms ammunition, with only one current exception:

Since the early 1990’s American snipers have been using either one of two Sierra Matchking BTHP bullets; however, neither Matchking centerfire rifle bullet is of a conventional, soft-nosed, ‘Dum-Dum’ design; and neither bullet profile is - in a strict sense - an expanding or, ‘superfluously harmful’ design.

All this being said ...... The international wartime restrictions on the use of (true) 'DumDum' bullets does NOT apply to either American law enforcement, or to the general American public.

The dumbass New Jersey politicians (and their dumbass New Jersey gun laws) aside, the ready availability and civilian use of JHP pistol ammunition actually offers a distinct advantage to all American law enforcement personnel — Except, of course, for those police officers who are unfortunate enough to have to work in New Jersey!

Why? Because it's much more difficult for a JHP pistol round to be able to penetrate a police officer's Level III vest than it is for an FMJ bullet to part the same Kevlar weave, and pass on through to finally puncture the wearer's body. (Hence the longstanding difficulty that bulletproof vests have had trying to stop pointy 9 x 19mm FMJ bullets.)

* It is the Geneva Convention (singular) that usually refers to a 1949 ratification of the three previous Geneva Conventions concerning the humane treatment of both adversely affected civilian populations, and prisoners of war.

** Although NOT a signator of either the 1899 Hague, ‘formal conventions’ or the 1977 Geneva, ‘Protocol I’, the United States has formally acknowledged the validity of each of these international restrictions on the use of, ‘superfluously harmful’ small arms ammunition; and continues to uphold the Hague Peace Conference restrictions on small arms ammunition that were signed by the United States in 1907.

sec_monkey, AD1, Ura-Ki and 3 others like this.
  16. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I hand load all my hand-gun ammo, especially for defensive purposes. I prefer "knowing" what's in a case rather than trusting QC at a factory.

17. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I think it was during the second WW the Japanese used wooden bullets when they were out of lead, but more than that the wood was contaminated and made the fragmented infection worse . the wound didn't have to kill right away, but 9 times out of 10 the infection did. Or so I'm told .
    Bottom line ,If it comes down to it and I've used up the several hundred Lbs of lead I already have , any thing I can melt into molds and or turn on my lathe will have to do as long as I have primers and powder to put behind them.
    If one knows nothing about doing these things ,with the all the information currently available ,has a great deal to regret should the time come, having done nothing .
    Though I am retired and could sit at starbucks and do nothing, I am over whelmed with things that need done and I need to learn.

18. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

For the visitors

Expanding bullets were given the name Dum-dum, or dumdum, after an early British example produced in the Dum Dum Arsenal, near Calcutta, India by Captain Neville Bertie-Clay. There were several expanding bullets produced by this arsenal for the .303 British cartridge, including soft point and hollow point designs.

[​IMG]
    evolution of the concept.

[​IMG]
    .303 Canadian Cordite Mk IV and V Rounds

finally
    wadcutter 'target' rounds
    [​IMG]
    please be careful with these, accidentally loading these backwards in the cartridge case can be very dangerous.

[​IMG]
    I have no idea how this would work in a firearm, it seems it would be extremely dangerous....

19. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I have several stripper clips loaded with wooden bullets for the Mauser 98 in 7X57 and in multiple colors! Rumer has it that the different bullet colors indicated a poison or indicated a type of wood that could cause problems to a victims health! I had posted a thread on another forum and got all kinds of claims, so I disassembled a few and discoverd they have ether a lead or steel core, and that some of these bullets were made of Ewu, and others made of Beach!
    One theory is that a hit from one of these bullets would not only cause a vicious wound, but that the fragments would injure medics and surgeons during treatment! No idea what if any of this is true, but it's intersting to ponder! Grand Dad believed the poison theory but also believed some if these were made to provide basic training and practice during the shortages of lead for manufactures!!! Be and his brothers test fired a clip of two of these and the accuracy was pretty good out to maybe 75 yards, and some of the stuff they believed to be practice stuff was basically only good to 50 feet! I hadn't tried any my self, so I have no idea, but it opens the doer to experiments. My thoughts would be the Sabot idea, take a .22 cal bullet and some how lathe turn bullets to .308 diameter, or a 7mm with a .338 sabot! About the only way I can see the use of wood! I also could see pressed paper being used to form bullets!

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  20. ghrit

Very interesting. I can see that a heavier core could cause the wood to splinter and really carve up flesh with embedded slivers. Now, knowing how a splinter in a finger gets infected readily ---

Gator 45/70, sec_monkey and Ura-Ki like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7