Gear Review Harbor Freight/Pittsburg 12V 100 PSI Tire Pump

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by 3M-TA3, Jan 12, 2019.

1. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Reading through @hot diggity 's flat tire preparedness thread I ran across @Gator 45/70 's recommendation for the 12V 100 PSI tire pump at Harbor Freight.
    upload_2019-1-12_16-44-9.

This $35 kit comes with pump, spare nozzles for sports equipment, rafts, mattresses, etc., instructions and a better than expected heavy duty nylon case. The pump comes equipped with a 10 foot cord and 12V auto accessory/cigarette lighter plug and a 3/8" QD coupler coiled air hose that terminates to a US standard Schrader valve fitting.

Please note the fuse warning:
    upload_2019-1-12_17-23-6.

I added the Harbor Freight Tire Repair kit which fits nicely in a quart size freezer bag. I keep this bag in the bottom of the carry case. I will also also will add some fuses (15A 1/4" x 1 1/4") as no extras were provided. The fuses are accessed by unscrewing the 12V plug. If you connect the hose to the pump and don't connect it to the tire valve you will blow the fuse, so follow the procedure below:
    1. Connect the air hose to the pump if it's not already connected.
    2. If not already running, start your vehicle.
    3. Make sure the pump switch is set to off. The switch is located under the male air coupler fitting on the pump.
    4. Connect the 12V plug to the accessory outlet/cigarette lighter socket.
    5. Turn the pump on.
    6. Connect the hose to the tire. The hose connects by screwing it to the Schrader fitting and will automatically open the valve as you tighten it down.
    7. Watch the gauge on the pump. When it gets to the desired PSI, turn the pump off and then disconnect.
    I noticed this afternoon that my Ram 2500 had a low front tire (22 PSI instead of the required 55 PSI) and thought this would be a good way to see how well the pump works.

Here is the pump connected to the tire along with the carry bag, the extra tips and the tire repair kit (in quart baggie). The pump was quieter than expected and didn't move a bit while operating. It took about seven minutes to inflate the tire from 22 to 55 PSI. The pump did get pretty warm in the piston area but not hot enough to be uncomfortable. It might get much hotter in the summer or in warm climates. It will automatically shut off if it gets too warm. IN that case turn it off and disconnect the hose until it cools down.
    upload_2019-1-12_17-32-55.

The gauge is very easy to read:
    upload_2019-1-12_17-54-11.

Everything stows nicely and compactly in the carry bag when you are done. You do need to disconnect the hose:
    upload_2019-1-12_17-56-44.

The kit in front of the newly inflated tire for size reference:
    upload_2019-1-12_17-59-12.

YouTube review - watch the pump jump when he starts the car while the pump is running.

If you need higher pressure there is also a 150 PSI compresser, but it is larger, heavier, and does not come with a bag. It also apparently requires more current than is safe from an accessory outlet and connects directly to the battery terminals:
    upload_2019-1-12_18-3-17.

Pros (100 PSI kit):
    • Compact
    • Light weight
    • Inexpensive
    • Carry bag is sturdy and just the right size to hold everything you need
    • Reasonable noise level
    • Stays put while running
    • Stayed reasonably cool
    • Inflated the tire in a reasonable amount of time
    Cons:
    • A spare fuse or two would have been a nice touch, but this is nit picking
    • wish I had know about this earlier
    The verdict: One goes in every vehicle from now on. That says it all. Five stars.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  2. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

I have one , I carry a plug kit in all cars and compressors , Quads also on plugs and CO2 pressure vials , Up here , bears and Cat cougars (2 legged cougars are never in the back 40 /country )
    Deer get pissy also with fawns

S

Gator 45/70, Dunerunner and oldawg like this.
  3. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

Those things are great but I have learned to have the vehicle running when you are using them as they tend to drain the battery otherwise.

Gator 45/70, 3M-TA3 and Dunerunner like this.
  4. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

And.... They have tiny pistons and take a bit of time to inflate completely flat tires that have not popped off the rim.

Gator 45/70, Zimmy and 3M-TA3 like this.
  5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yes, I learned this. The usual caveat about running the engine in the garage obtains.

If the bead is broke, just call Enterprise, 'cause these little inflators just won't do what you need the shop tools for, and you MUST have patience.

If the bead is popped AND if you are not totally wishing to keep your face, you can try the starter fluid (or hair spray, or whatever) trick to pop the bead back on. Not worth it to my mind.

I've had a little 12 volt compressor (not HF) in every car I've had for over 20 years. Saved my bacon a couple times by getting enough air in the tire to limp to a shop. Well worth that over a tow.

Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  6. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Gator 45/70, Dunerunner and 3M-TA3 like this.
  7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

With a popped bead.
    I have ratchet straps for binding things down and for using to expand the bead on the rim , but first I take brake fluid and go over the rim of the tire and the area of the metal rim to make sure it's clean. Brake fluid livens the rubber so it conforms better to the rim. Make sure the rim is not irregular .
    Sometimes a tire going flat a rim can get bent . it's no easy fix, but not impossible .
    I put the load binder on the perimeter of the tire and crank it down till the tire and rim are well connected, I remove the(Schrader valve) valve core for maximum flow, and then start the compressor. Ideally an air tank is preferred in this situation providing a rush of air ,better than the compressor can provide on it's own.
    When it is apparent the seal is established ,I remove the load binder and install the valve core and finish the filling , listening to the strong bump of the tire setting in the rim. Soapy water in a rag is worked all over the tire and rim to make sure the seal is good .
    If there is a mystery leak I have seen welds in the spoked rims rust and leak , so sometime complete submersion is required.

8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I always carry a SparkPlug that fits the engine in my vehicle, and has been drilled out and has a Check Valve installed in the other end from the Block Threads. Then a 30 Ft Air Hose, connects to the exposed Check Valve End, and a Screw-On Tire Bib end on the far end. Pull a SparkPlug, and screw in the adapter, connect the Airhose to the Check Valve, and the screw the otherend of the hose to the Tire Air-Bib, and start the engine... You will see the tire inflate fairly Quickly, with the Compression Air/Fuel from the running engine...

This is the OLD SCHOOL way to pump up a Flat, when out in the woods... Learned if from GrandPa Erskine, when I was 5 years old...

Gator 45/70, oldawg, Zimmy and 2 others like this.
  9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Just remember, this is only a very temporary fix to get you out of trouble, otherwise you have a pretty good bomb on your rig! you must tell the tire shop what you did, and it's best to deflate the tire before giving it over to them to have it repaired!

I use the Tire pump sold by the "Green Slime" seems to work pretty well and will inflate my big arse 35's" pretty quick!
    even better on the smaller tires!
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005WG84S2/?tag=survivalmonke-20

10. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Curious - do you use the green slime sealant as well for punctures?

Gator 45/70, Zimmy and Ura-Ki like this.
  11. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Pretty much my go to now! I used to use tire Mouse, but the slime is easier to clean out of a tire when I need, and its cleans off the rims easy too! Supposedly it doesn't effect the tires balance, and that seems to be true, so that's better then some of the other stuff out there! I'm not sure if you can use it in tires with the internal sensors? Need to look that up, Both Durangos have them!

12. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Slime says it's safe for TPMS: https://www.slime.com/ca/products/auto/sealants/tire-sensor-safe.php

Every TPMS unit I've looked at has been completely sealed, so it makes sense that it wouldn't cause them harm unless their formula attacked the enclosure.

And the TPMS forums (there IS a forum for EVERYTHING) doesn't have anything negative to say. The only mention there is the press release by Slime.

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  13. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Good! Would hate to have issues, my durango sets off all sorts of lights and sirens, and Wifes actually pulls power! The Benz has them, but i dont think they even work, dont care ether! Lol!
    BTW, i had Schwab change out the Costco air, and replace it with good ol fashioned Schwab air, seems to work better! ( Costco runs Nitrogen)

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

I bought a motorcycle inflator from J&P Cycles that operates from a spark plug hole, but it's an actual air pump that's only operated by the compression - no fuel in the tire.
    Engine Powered Air Pump for Motorcycles - 5 ft Hose
    It was really more novelty than anything, I've never tried it yet but supposedly it's dead reliable.
    For actual use, the motorcycle thing got me to this
    Motorcycle Tire Air Pump - webBikeWorld

Basically you buy a particular cheap chinese 12V inflator and remove the plastic case to get a tiny 12V inflator. I also got extras and that's what I keep in each car/truck, also (still in the plastic).

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Gator 45/70 and ghrit like this.
  15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Believe it or not, slime will settle in the bottom of the tire, and majorly meddle with balance. No prob in warm weather, but come along winter ----

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

If you are using a rubber plug kit, Harbor freight might not be the best choice. This guy has to finish up using the tools from a Slime kit after the HF insertion tool breaks and cuts him

EDIT: a second video compares HF to Victor. The Victor kit is the same one that Slime sells. The insertion tool in the HF kit is junk.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Gator 45/70 and Zimmy like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7