Harley Folks got no sense of Humor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HK_User, Apr 13, 2019.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Went a bit North yesterday to the Big City. Had time to kill so dropped by the Hog Shop.
    Cruised around the store and all the high priced Signature HD Garb. Noted the Posers and the Oh so serious Leather clad macho "guys" all a bit comical as this is the highest priced HD Shop in Texas.

Did a Test Ride on a couple of not so standard HD "street" V Twins.
    The leather guys gave me the Evil Eye when I came back from changing into my BILT Synthetic Duds with armor. BiLT Motorcycle Gear & Apparel - Cycle Gear. I guess they were too deaf from their potato twins they ride to hear that a storm was on the way.

The first scooter did not fit and was more of a Urban (advertised) V Twin and I was back in a short short to see if we could Mod it out some, but the "Tech" was so cocky sure that the foot controls could not be F==ked with. Of course no tape measure with him so cool this ain't the only shopin' town.

No problem the Parts and Shop missed out on some high dollar work @ 125 greenies an hour.

I found a like V Twin with the fit that didn't cramp old injuries and walked out with a couple more grand than I figured. Just where do they find these young twerps that can't read a Yardstick?

Some other clown with leather chaps sitting in a Lounge chair "figured that scoot is too small for any real road trip". I suggested he should have been along in 68 when I crossed the US Coast to Coast with all my gear during Winter on the northern route aka Route 66 during a mil transfer, some 300 lbs in all, on a 650 Triumph and never saw one Harley on the slick winter road. I guessed they were all feet up (TU) with broke down Hogs.

Not to worry for my safety for Gwedo, a X Grunt I once helped was close by.

Got to love a trip to the Hog Toy Store and the best are the ones are them that provide an itinerary of a place to hide when the bad weather hits.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  2. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Congrats on your new equipment. I’ve been putting around on Harley’s for 35-40 years. I’d have to sit down and do some math to figure it out. Anyway,, I went to a HD shop one time to get some parts for my shovel,, the parts guy at the counter was a joke , couldn’t figure out what I wanted, wouldn’t let me look at the book to show him . Why put someone in parts if they have no idea on the internal working parts of an engine. It was a fairly nice day out , so the store was full of the weekenders picking out new leather and T shirts. After about 15 minutes dealing with this guy ,, and him treating me like I’m the dumb one ,, I got up aggravated as hell, and said,, If I was needing a Fk’n T shirt I bet you could help me. Evidently in my frustration, I said it louder than I thought as all the weekenders were standing around mouths gapped open in shock. I only go to a dealer store if if need a part that is still under HD’s patent authority and not available anywhere else. But now all my stuff is old enough I can get aftermarket parts for everything I need.

fmhuff, Tully Mars, tacmotusn and 7 others like this.
  3. HK_User

Had various HD over the years but I am not married to any brand.
    I just like to ride and the newer Water Buffalo HDs are pretty decent.

SB21, UncleMorgan, techsar and 2 others like this.
  4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Been through a few Hogs, even played with a liquid hog for a few days, liked it, but ultimately settled on a Rocker "C" that I did some mods on! Had many a trouble with it, and being a brand spankin new skoot, should have been easy to deal with! I blame the dealer, but it left me with a very sour taste!
    sold it off at a profit and went to the local trumpet shop and splashed a wad of cash on the counter and rode off into the sunset with a brand new Trumpet! Love this bike, it's bomb proof, sounds mean as hell, gets the looks, and I can bomb around wearing what ever I like and no one looks down on me cause it aint leathers!
    [​IMG]

Alf60, Tully Mars, tacmotusn and 8 others like this.
  5. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

The shops I used before health retired me from HDs to a homebuilt trike had more of us there in Carhartts than leathers and HD watches. Too many good "un-authorized" Harley stores to put up with the no knowledge and stuck up posers. Got to where if you needed a doctor or lawyer you went to one of the over priced leather and chrome factory dealers who also sold new HDs as a sideline.

SB21, Ura-Ki, UncleMorgan and 3 others like this.
  6. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Seeing as Ed March managed to go round the world on a 30 year old Honda c90..... im pretty sure that beats the pants off any of “mrasslesschaps”wee “road trips.”

SB21, Ura-Ki, UncleMorgan and 4 others like this.
  7. HK_User

Yup in the long ago past a guy circumnavigated Oz on a Wombat.
    [​IMG]

Tully Mars, Dont, SB21 and 5 others like this.
  8. HK_User

Triumph, built by professionals and I still like the rear brake pedal placement after allthese years as it fits me. Who needs it anyway? Cept in dirt to slide the rear out in a tight turn

SB21, Ura-Ki, UncleMorgan and 2 others like this.
  9. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Any idiot can sell parts but a real gearhead knows what you need!

Gator 45/70, oldawg, SB21 and 4 others like this.
  10. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

I like Harleys. Perhaps, in my own meagre way I even love them. A little. But that doesn't mean I think they are even remotely perfect.

I have a '64 Pan. The engineering is...quaint. When you get right down to it, it's a Steampunk motorcycle.

I have two saddlebags on it. One is for tools, the other is for spare parts. Both have to be slap full if I want to be sure of making it (say) from home to the grocery store & back.

Absolutely sure, as opposed to merely reasonably sure.

My scoot is slow, and about as agile as a coal barge. It stops like the SS Docksmasher, and has been know to fall over out of sheer cussedness. But it also rides like it's on railroad tracks, and could probably drive straight through a medium-sized tornado without deviating an eighth of an inch from it's designated course.

As crude as it is, I wouldn't trade it for the biggerst, baddest, bestest bike allegedly made.

I stopped going into Harley dealerships a long time ago. I could walk in and say I needed a set of points, and they would try to sell me a new motorcycle. I could walk in with my head on fire, and ask to buy a Genuine HD Fire Extinguisher, and they would try to sell me a new motorcycle--that had a Genuine HD Fire Extinguisher available as an option for a slight additional cost.

Nah.

My bike is too old for all those over-chromed new-fangled accessories that add nothing to performance or reliability and are really just over-priced ego-candy. That makes my bike an insult to their bottom line.

I'm too old for that kind of crap, too. That makes me an insult, too.

And a non-customer.

Frankly, I wouldn't own a new Harley. Even though the go-gear is much more reliable than my antiquated old sled. The new Harleys are not about riding anymore. They're bout posing.

I don't mean any of the above as a rant. It's more like sad commentary on the way times have changed.

This week, Mr. Linkert got rebuilt. Next week, the new pistons go in. Life is good.

11. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

If i were to go back to a HD twin type bike, i would go full after market, like an S&S motor, modern transmission, and all that, build it the way I want it, and be done! So much antiquated Factory HD, and not enough actual GO any more!
    I love the ride, not working on the damn thing along side the road!
    Took a test ride on a brand new build Arlin Ness S&S bike, absolutely loved it, just not the premium price and Name plate!
    Some day, would love to have an old classic like what Elvis had, but reliable and Not a single HD part on it!
    Really love that style bike, especially with the modern springer front end! Man, that is sharp looking!

Gator 45/70, HK_User and SB21 like this.
  12. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I've got 3 Hogs , 1 of them trying to put back together after an engine rebuild , 2 that need a off frame rebuild , and a '58 pan rolling chassis that I'm looking for an engine and trans for . Not looking real hard , as other projects are more important at the moment . That is a good looking old style bobber Ura Ki . I need to get serious and get my crap back together and pull off a road trip sometime this year .
    I don't blame ya Uncle Morgan , I'd ride that old skoot till the end of days , one thing I can't take anymore is them hardtails , my back is to far gone for that anymore . Ride on and be safe my wind brothers .

Alf60, Gator 45/70, oldawg and 2 others like this.
  13. HK_User

Strange you should mention Arlen Ness, stranger still that the location he has now in, I believe, the strip center and shop location where I first started racing in N Cal with and sponsored by Sports Cycle Corral. Like I say I have not been back for years but Dublin Cal is still where the two match up in my memories.
    But Arlin Ness LLC solved a problem for me with their quality larger front disk for the Indian Scout.
    Never mentioned as I am about too do but the fact is the first 2015 Scout was a POS from the tires to the Frame!
    Short explanation is simple, OEM tires were like a grade schoolrubber pencil eraser that sat too long in a hot car, S Korean

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  14. HK_User

Strange you should mention Arlen Ness, stranger still that the location he has now in, I believe, the strip center and shop location where I first started racing in N Cal with and sponsored by Sports Cycle Corral. Like I say I have not been back for years but Dublin Cal is still where the two match up in my memories.
    But Arlen Ness LLC solved a problem for me with their quality larger front disk for the Indian Scout.
    Never mentioned as I am about too do but the fact is the first 2015 Scout was a POS from the tires to the Frame!
    Short explanation is simple, OEM tires were like a grade school rubber pencil eraser that sat too long in a hot car, S Korean, hard as a rock and unsafe.

Front forks/suspension was way soft, rear shocks were way hard and neither end had any real adjustment or rebound setting.

Early on the Rear brakes had a faulty master cylinder and the front brakes were made by Sponge Bob Square Pants.

Totally unacceptable by any sane company to have produced, it was as if they built it and nobody tested it before launch of the Scout.

So all companies make Production Bombs.

I spent right at two K replacing all the parts listed above and now have an excellent handling Bike not just a straight line runner.

AND the BS with their REACH Parts, what a waste of money. INDIAN should have produced a bike you could ride off the lot.

All that being said I now have a great riding bike.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  15. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Had a great time at Arlin Ness, great bikes, and super cool staff! I realy liked the Bike too, a Polaris Vegas of some sort, really sweet looking and good build quality, really rode nice! It was just east of Walnut Creak, but i dont remember the town!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. HK_User

Scout Front forks/suspension was way soft, rear shocks were way hard and neither end had any real adjustment or rebound setting.

Early on the Rear brakes had a faulty master cylinder and the front brakes were made by Sponge Bob Square Pants.

Totally unacceptable by any sane company to have produced, it was as if they built it and nobody tested it before launch of the Scout.

So all companies make Production Bombs.

I spent right at two K replacing all the parts listed above and now have an excellent handling Bike not just a straight line runner.

AND the BS with their REACH Parts, what a waste of money. INDIAN should have produced a bike you could ride off the lot.

All that being said I now have a great riding bike.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  17. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Thanks, i really like this ride, its just wild enough with out being a monster, dosnt run hot, and handles really nice, and it has great brakes! I would say its like a well sorted HD Sporster, with out haveing to spend money to up grade it! I would say its the nicest Triumph I have ever owned, and i like my Triumphs!

Gator 45/70, SB21 and HK_User like this.
  18. HK_User

Something happened to the continuity of the post!

Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  19. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

You boys kinda suck,Not a picture in sight???
    [worthless]

Yard Dart, SB21 and Ura-Ki like this.
  20. HK_User

Ura-Ki likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7