Harvest Right Freeze Dryer

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by TheJackBull, Aug 11, 2021.

Tags:
  1. TheJackBull

TheJackBull Monkey+++

Hey all,
    Did a quick search for some key words and didnt see what I was looking for. Does anyone on here own a Harvest right freeze dryer? what is your experience with it, and your "Pro's & Cons" even some "favorites" and things youll "never do again"!
    I think Freeze drying is the way to go from here on out... 3 freezer is just 3 tubs of goo in "grid goes down" situation.

let me know what you all think. looking to buy and just want some experianced folks opinions.

2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Freeze drier

I tagged this thread and linked the previous discussion for ease in case any are interested. This topic is a good one, not discussed enough.

TheJackBull likes this.
  3. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

Also interested. Space and maintenance are my questions

4. nkawtg

nkawtg Monkey+++

oldawg, TheJackBull and Brokor like this.
  5. TheJackBull

TheJackBull Monkey+++

@Brokor Wow, there are some things that are just beyond me and my level of intreset and or knowledge. building a freeze dryer is where I draw the line. I would undoubtedly spoil a lot of food in the process.

Brokor likes this.
  6. TheJackBull

TheJackBull Monkey+++

one thing I would like to know more about is how people are rehydrating thier food? I see ads that show leftovers from meals and whole lasagna being dryed. how the heck do you rehydrate a whole lasagna?! I get the premiss of things like MT house and small bags you add water, but how are people doing it with more traditional foods?

7. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Lasagna (wish I could still eat it) don't know for sure but I'd steam it, JMHO.

TheJackBull and Mountainman like this.
  8. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

I have two sitting in WA state , I just need the BS to stop and go get them .
    I have been waiting , next transfer , Im slinging them back under a 568 MD bird !!
    Fvch the system !!
    Sloth

TheJackBull likes this.
  9. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I looked into the Harvest Right freeze dryers a few years ago, but didn't buy one for several reasons; #1 Cost (about $3000, then), #2 Size (about 3 lbs. of food at a time), #3 Time (takes about 24-48 hours per batch), #4 Cost of up keep (parts are expensive) and #5 They spray oil. I decided to spend the same amount of money on some 25 year food, and some other foods (beans, rice, grains, etc.).

Brokor and TheJackBull like this.
  10. Cruisin Sloth

Well I have been working mine , HARD !!
    One is at my ranch and the other is at the farm , I have the tricks now down pat for speed of maintenance and cleaning . removing Ice etc. Oil changes are done after every use and in less than 3 mins , then the oil is cleaned and water removed.
    First trick is to lay a silicone fuel line with a SS welding rod to keep it straight and on the center bottom of the inside to reach the drain, just shy of the door seal .
    After a process , pull SS rod first and then the fuel tube out leaving a drain path for the water to leave out the rear , not over the seal !!
    Pictures to upload . 11. 12. 13. 14.
    See the green fuel line at the bottom , EZ trick
    Sloth

CraftyMofo likes this.
  11. Cruisin Sloth

Better pix of the draining hose , it undermines the ice block and stops water coming out the front seal
    pipe1.
    Pull SS welding rod and let sit for .5 , then pull hose out , it will drain out the back
    Sloth

CraftyMofo likes this.
  12. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

IMG_6932. I own one and like it. I’m just doing meat and fruits. I have lots of FD vegetables I purchased but couldn’t afford meat. So, i buy it on sale and FD it. Just finished 24 hamburger patties. I’ll rehydrate them two at a time at some point in beef broth and cover them with beef gravy and mashed potatoes on the side.

Zimmy, CraftyMofo and mysterymet like this.
  13. Cruisin Sloth

It;s a learning curve , New software made me readjust the stuff , now both machines are the same ,, . I have an order in for huge cheese.
    I;ll show the the water / filter next,,
    This is the frozen water in the oil and water freezing plastic jar

wat1.
    This is the chunk of ice out of that jar , it removes quick after oil is drained (not frozen ) back into the filter system wat3.
    Second smaller jar for the dregs of water and oil to be frozen
    wat4.
    Filter system next pix with butt wipe medium , no clay type .

Last edited: Jul 5, 2023
    CraftyMofo likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7