Harvesting wood during winter

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by damoc, Dec 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. damoc

damoc Monkey+++

Here I am harvesting a load of firewood using sleds to move the load down the hill. This worked great and I would recommend all preppers and homesteaders add this to their bag of tricks. It will get you ahead of the crowd when it comes to firewood harvest.

offgrittyt, kitty, Seepalaces and 2 others like this.
  2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

The sled is not a bad idea. Good way down hill should you hurt yourself getting firewood after the snow has fallen.

Seepalaces, Gator 45/70 and damoc like this.
  3. damoc

damoc Monkey+++

Yes we are not always going to have 10 cords stored up we need to be able to harvest at any time.One of my neighbours who likes cutting firewood returned to his homestead to find someone had cleaned him out of 20 cords while he was away. If he was returning to his BOL after a disaster he would be in a lot of trouble if he could not cut some firewood.

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Just make sure you are uphill from the sled. (And I recommend putting a tail on it rather than where you have the rope on the front when headed downhill.)

5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Down hill logging sucks.
    When I was over in Japan about all they can do was down hill logging and it killed just about 1 person per week during the logging season.

6. offgrittyt

offgrittyt You gonna eat that?

I harvest firewood in the same way using an ice fishing toboggin, except I've never made a snow sluice. I would be hard pressed to o not go for a ride myself!

damoc and Dunerunner like this.
  1. VisuTrac
  2. TnAndy
  3. Thunder5Ranch
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. TnAndy
  8. Southbound
  9. oil pan 4
  10. BTPost
  11. TnAndy