He Wanted a Gun

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Motomom34, Dec 13, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

March 2020 things were getting crazy, folks were getting scared. I had a friend who is a true city boy. He knew I was a prepper so he kept calling, asking what to do. As the stores shelves became bare and people started getting that scared look in their eye, my friend started to get really frantic. He called up one day and said,"I need a gun, should I get a gun? What kind of gun should I get? What can I do? I think I should by a gun. How many bullets do I need?"

I told him not to buy a gun, that he shouldn’t have a gun. He was wanting it for protection but had no experience nor had anyone near to show him how to properly use the weapon. Was I wrong? To me having an inexperienced scared person with a gun is more dangerous to himself, his loved one then not having one. I told him to look around and see what he had to deter folks. What he could use as a weapon. Also advised him to start thinking on how to fortify his home. For his vehicle I advised a can of Raid and a bat but he had to realize that bat could be used against him.

What else could I have told him? One cannot become prepared for every threat over-night but agreeing with a scared untrained person to go get a gun just seemed wrong.

Was I wrong?

2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I think you were right on point with your suggestions. Bear spray or just pepper spray would be my choices over a can of Raid. I agree with your advice against a firearm as unfamiliarity with any weapon will get you in trouble fast.

There is a door block device that will delay someone from forcing an entry door. Wood dowel can be placed in the slider track to keep a sliding door or window from being opened. An alarm system on your home is an effective deterrent as thrives will look for easier targets. Having an alarm on your vehicle that can be activated during a car jacking may add a feeling of security. Situational awareness is paramount in your being prepared. Not going out alone, talking a friend, a medium sized dog are good options.

3. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@Motomom34 "I told him not to buy a gun...Was I wrong?"

First, it is very nice to see you around the place again!

To answer your question - maybe yes, maybe no. A person that idoesn't know anything about firearms is the same as someone trying to use a skill saw or chainsaw that doesn't have a clue. A danger to themselves and others. So, in that regard, you were correct to tell him, "No." I suspect that nothing happened from 2020 - 2022 so no harm done. However, where you were wrong was in not telling him, maybe even take him by the hand, to get training because he could be quite proficient by now if he started in 2020.

A quick story...so some friends of my wife came to visit for the weekend. I didn't really care for either of them but especially found the man to be arrogant and obnoxious. I took him to the range because he assured me, he had fired handguns while as a lieutenant in the Army (Army Corps of Engineers). He did a couple years. He was an Architect by trade, worked for Washington State government and was indeed a pompous ass. Anyway, I got set up and gave him a Glock 19 and a box of ammo and left him to it. Well, the dumbass almost broke his thumb, it was badly swollen and cut as it was sticking up, so the slide had tried to take it off. I got him patched up and told him to keep his thumb down, gripping the firearm correctly. I even showed him. Off he went to try again and... You guessed it. He did it again. I terminated the session and took him back to the house. My point here is the guy obviously didn't know what he was doing, probably lied to me, and I was in the wrong to take him at his word as he could not only have hurt himself but me and others. I took this as a damn good cheap lesson and learned it. I won't make that mistake again.

So, you played it safe, nothing wrong in that; however, if something would have happened to him or his family where a firearm could have changed the mix, you never would have forgiven yourself. So, a gun? No, definitely not! Training? Yes, first and foremost and that is where you were wrong to not insist on it. Everyone should know how to handle all forms of tools in the 21st century be it a chainsaw or a firearm, both will kill you and dead is dead, so one needs to know how to use them and that takes time, practice and experience.

Yard Dart, jim2, Motomom34 and 4 others like this.
  4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Used to see folks in a big panic come into the gun shop I hung out in, they would always start asking questions that flat told you they didn't know what they were doing! I always told them to get a dog and forget the gun! Some insisted in buying a gun anyway, and others took what we all told them to heart and did other things! The point is, telling some NOT to get a gun isn't a bad thing, some of them should NEVER own a gun, while others should get training first, and then they can buy a gun. Little Old Lady comes in one day, wants to buy a .12 Gauge Shotgun been trained by her parents when she was small and she knew the 4 rules, so I took her out back to see if she could actually shoot a .12 gauge shotgun, BANM, she fired that first round, rocked back on her heels and had the biggest grin on her face, she asked if she should shoot again, so I handed her another shell and she was happy! She ended up becoming quite a good customer of the shop, she bought a nice little S&W Revolver after she took her carry license training, and she was always buying ammo and targets so she could practice! You never know, some folks can be taught, others NOT!

Yard Dart, jim2, oldawg and 6 others like this.
  5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Only thing I can think of would be for them to go take a concealed carry class since that's the only public, nearby event I can think of where a gun pleb might be able to get a meaningful useful gun education and hopefully not kill some one in the process.
    Other than some place that's doing a kids "eddy the eagle" thing. Yeah don't touch it and tell a real grownup you found a gun.
    First rule of gun safety is "don't let the government take them".
    Then "have one".
    After that you can worry about the other 4.

jim2, SB21, Motomom34 and 3 others like this.
  6. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

From Jeff Cooper:
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.

7. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Generally I tell people to attend a training class first and then try different kinds of guns the range has and decide on their favorite before buying. If it is a friend of mine I have been knowm to accompany them. Totally untrained scared people with firearms are dangerous. I definitely agree with you there. Usually if they are willing to put in the time for training they will be ok as a firearms owner.

Bandit99, jim2, Idahoser and 7 others like this.
  8. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Agreed
    Sloth

9. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

@Motomom34 you did the right thing. Unless he was willing to get training (shooting and legal) a gun likely would have been a mistake. Also good to see you back!

10. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I agree that you did the right thing. At least it didn't get to the point where he was asking you to give him a gun. That's where it gets really uncomfortable. That's why I only have guns that are broken, obsolete, or impossible to find ammo for. ;)

Gator 45/70, SB21, Motomom34 and 4 others like this.
  11. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

I think you did right. If they insisted on buying a gun, I think I would have told them to buy a shotgun. Easy to use, and unless you're a complete f**k up, you can't shoot yourself with it. Added bonus, you might not even have to use it, as the racking of the action, to load a shell, is typically enough to scare off anyone with ill intent. (y)

jim2, Gator 45/70, Motomom34 and 4 others like this.
  12. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

Reminds me of this sage advice!

I believe it’s a good call to suggest a shotgun. Hard to hurt yourself. I’ve had many approach me asking advice about purchasing a firearm, but I’ve never had anyone who seemed “frantic” as described.

13. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

Before they buy a gun they need 1) Mindset 2) Training. Nothing wrong with buying a gun as a newbie, but you MUST get training:
    gun handling, legal, ethical, and you must have the proper mindset and shoot first ask questions later is not it. If they aren’t willing to put in the time and expense to train and practice then you are right, they shouldn’t have a gun and in a real SHTF they will probably end up dead.

jim2, Gator 45/70, Motomom34 and 2 others like this.
  14. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

It seems that the chap who is being described in his present state of firearms ignorance and psychological excitability is likely to be a greater danger to himself and innocents in the line of fire, than anyone who is likely to be a threat to himself.

I concur with those here whom have recommended that he get appropriate training, (and be prepared to meet the ongoing cost of maintaining an adequate level of firearm competency before he commits to buying a firearm. I also concur that developing a proper (responsible and lawful) mindset is essential, and the importance of being be clear on the rules of engagement in using extreme force in 'threat' scenarios that may confront him.

At this stage, I wouldn't recommend any gun to him, other than an airsoft or paintball gun. A possible alternative would be a sling and a bunch of projectiles....that worked for a young shepherd called David, so I have read....

15. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

No truer words than these. Mr Cooper summed things up perfectly.

. Bingo that is the perfect description. Scared of a looming pandemic and fearing Armageddon, it just seems to dangerous for my friend to be armed. He has never mentioned wanting a gun or getting shooting lessons/ training since.

16. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Should have told him to join the military,, infantry division ,, he'd get all the gun training he needs .
    :D
    Just kidding ,,, kind'a ,,,,,
    Like others said ,, it didn't sound like he had the mindset to be handling a weapon . He could have been more of a danger than an asset .

Also ,, good to see you back Miss MM ,,, how's your boys doing ?

17. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

A shotgun and Turkey loads (BB) are best for most of these first timers. They can graduate to Buckshot later and have them stay away from slugs. Those should be safest for neighbors and those passing down the street yet still be effective at close range.
    Training as mentioned, is absolute essential no matter the firearm used. If they won't do that, then bear spray and a Katana. Chop n stab, chop n stab.....

One facet seldom addressed is that none of these types have ever killed anything. They really need to get used to doing this so they won't choke or hesitate when everything is on the line. This mantra will help, but they still need to get used to killing.

Hunter's Maxim
    Q. Fear and anger, what are they?
    A. Two sides of the same coin.
    Q. Name the coin.
    A. The mind-killer.
    Q. What do you do when all others about you are panicking and losing their presence of mind?
    A. I think, evaluate, and then act or react as is needed.

A good resource is the book;" On Killing" I forget the authors name.

18. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Good to see you back Miss MM

19. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I love this and will remember and use it in the future!

SB21 likes this.
  20. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

He didn’t want a gun, he wanted a magic talisman to ward off evil.

All a gun will do is stop evil dead in its tracks.

Gator 45/70, Motomom34, jim2 and 3 others like this.
  1. Illini Warrior
  2. Prepper12
  3. Grandpa Patch
  4. Ganado
  5. HK_User
  6. oil pan 4
  7. arleigh
  8. Meat
  9. Thunder5Ranch
  10. Dunerunner
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7