Hello everyone

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Andrew James, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Andrew James

Andrew James Monkey

Hello everyone..I'm starting an offgrid homestead..just wanted 2 meet like minded individuals...

2. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Hey Andrew, welcome to the site. Our search engine ain't so great. We do however have folks all over the world as members, often posting very interesting articles about a wide area of things. Cooking, gardening, building, foraging, trapping, hunting, fishing, home schooling, politics, the law, civics, the constitution, Bush craft, weapons from clubs to lasers. Often conversations in the shout box lead to new info thread posts. Please browse and enjoy and feel free to ask questions and or jump in and offer up your own suggestions, insight, and experiences.

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Welcome to our Monkey Tree... Pick oout a branch, and have a look around....

Altoidfishfins and Andrew James like this.
  4. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Welcome here...I'm looking forward to hearing more about this homestead.

Andrew James likes this.
  5. Andrew James

Andrew James Monkey

Ty.....

Anything you would like 2 know..I'm willing to talk about anything...

Ty....for the welcome....

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2018
    Dunerunner and tacmotusn like this.
  6. Dunerunner

I'd be interested in how you came to the decision to entertain this venture, how you intend to make it work and what you would bring to the community.

7. Andrew James

Andrew James Monkey

So I can explain alittle bit..I'll try 2 keep it short I promise..lol..so I have been.to a few offgrid farms...as a volunteeris.work to live...help out on construction projects..I'm have done painting & restoration for 12 years now..and currently work as a maintenance man..for a large apartment complex..I often work 4 or 5 years then go to a community to wind down from the stress of living in in the city..paying bills..and blah blah..lol..but the most recent was full life farm..I do believe that's a .com..as well..not to sure if paul and terra have a website..but he has a 15 acre farm..and other land around the county...actually helped them build there 2 story earth home...but I've saved to buy a few acres off of him..where they are allowing me 2 do my own thing..on untouched land they havent touched..while helping on there farm from day to day..sorta an exchange as you would..but it took me 5 years to save up just for the land..sorta forgot about supplys..lol..but the acres are rich with trees and.theres a mill on.site..so that's awsome..plus he has a well..but is allowing me to tap a manual well for mysef..if I can pay for the drilling..not going till march 1st..I'm gonna.ride the winter in the city this year..and go at first planting time..

Dunerunner likes this.
  8. Dunerunner

Well, good luck to ya as you will have never worked harder than you will on a self sufficient working farm. Always animal issues, always weather and animal issues, always something to build, tools or machinery to fix, always a crop to plant, tend and harvest. After the harvest there is canning to do, animals to process...But, you already know all this or you wouldn't want to get into it.

Brokor likes this.
  9. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Welcome to the Monkey...

10. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Always. :cool:

And welcome to the forum, Andrew.

Andrew James likes this.
  11. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

Welcome to the Monkey tree!

Andrew James likes this.
  12. Andrew James

Andrew James Monkey

Ty...I agree with the work..but its satisfying work...you work to eat..not for taxes...this monetary system..makes slaves..

13. Andrew James

Andrew James Monkey

Ty.....
    Ty....

14. Andrew James

Andrew James Monkey

I'll be starting off my own..sorta slow...clearing the land..cutting down all the trees..milling them into 2x4s..an 8x8 beans..lvling the land before building is going to more than likely take me a whole season..if not a full year..while helping paul on his...maybe start actually growing on my own after the build..and tilling everything might be alittle bit...be fore I'm fully self reliant..that's what the GoFundMe was for....more longterm survival...supply's that cant be made..solar system is crucial..plywood and such...not looking for handouts of any.sorts..I want 2 help others that in time would like 2 join...

15. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@Andrew James you can use the tag system here to find homestead info. Welcome to the monkey.

Andrew James likes this.
  16. Andrew James

Andrew James Monkey

Ty...always willing to learn

17. Andrew James

Andrew James Monkey

18. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

You should feel blessed that you own land but to ask people for money to build your home??? It is nice that three folks have kindly donated but you have something. Some people have nothing. Some people have lost all because of recent natural disasters.
    The state of Georgia can and will take your property if you do not pay taxes so money will always be important.

Gator 45/70 and Andrew James like this.
  19. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

I'll stake you to the whole 20K if you can meet my terms. Gifts do not come from wishes, and are really scarce in monkeyland. You want to do business, OK, put your title to the land on the line. In other words, I'll need to hold your mortgage on unencumbered real estate along with some other conditions..

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    Andrew James likes this.
  20. Andrew James

Andrew James Monkey

I appreciate your offer..but I would have to kindly refuse...my intention was never to make a business or prophet in any way from this...there is a plot of 10 acres next to this..land that is for sale for 20k..if you were looking...

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7