Hello from New Mexico

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JrOrtiz, Mar 11, 2021.

1. JrOrtiz

JrOrtiz Monkey

My name is Jr and live in NM. I have some property in Catron county where I spend my free time but unfortunately live in Albuquerque. My only reason for staying here is to look after my aging parents. I travel for work, remodeling hotels in the western and midwest US. The company I work for is based out of Denver.

Self reliance has been a big part of my life going back to boy scouts; as silly as that sounds. I hunt, fish, have slaughtered and processed beef and pork. Have and use a food dehydrator for vegies, fruit and jerky and use it regularly in my cooking. Water bath canning is something I know well; can pickles, jams and fruit butters. I however know nothing about pressure canning.

Been dx'ing shortwave for years, back before Alex Jones, back when commercial shortwave broadcasting was cool. Need to take the tech exam, just lazy.

At my age, 56 I am in the 90 percentile in regards to fitness. My job is physically demanding, I ride mt bikes and touring bikes, and have been weight training for a couple of years. I dont do keto or anything fancy, just try to eat a variety of foods and keep my weight down.

My my younger years I studied BBJ and Kempo but it has been years. Recently started training, with an instructor, the staff. I have never owned any firearm other than a shotgun until recently, and still dont own a gun take takes a magazine. When I took a series of tactical shotgun classes I had to borrow a 40 cal from the school. I took tactical lessons for the shotgun because it is what I am familiar with.

I think I lean left politically but haven't voted Democrat ever. Didn't used to care how someone voted. Can't get on board with gun control and abortion. Big into personal freedom and the Golden Rule. Hate oppression of any kind and have suffered consequences for defending those unable to defend themselves.

I'm single, two semi-grown children. I was educated at a well know all boys boarding school in the eastern US, it was interesting to say the least growing up in NM. Each of my brothers and sisters endured the same hell. Three boys, three girls, not one of us less than 18 months apart in age. My poor mom. Historical my family background is politics, real estate, and banking. I picked a different path.

Dunerunner, GOG, ditch witch and 3 others like this.
  2. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Welcome Jr.

Dunerunner and JrOrtiz like this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Welcome to our Monkey Tree... Happy you found us... Need to get on that Tech License... We gots a few Good Old Monkey Hams around the Tree... Be sure to check out the. Comms forum...

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

You stand a good chance of enjoying the site with your background and abilities. Learn, teach, have fun.
    [welcomeLG] from NEPA.

5. JrOrtiz

JrOrtiz Monkey

I know, am ready.

Dunerunner likes this.
  6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Welcome aboard, glad to have ya!
    I'm not that far north west of ya, the south central mountains of Colorado near Divide! Might wanna consider more firearms in the future, will be a good skill set to have, and with things swinging the way they are might not be able to purchase anything anyway!

7. JrOrtiz

JrOrtiz Monkey

Thanks, will do. Will add one more thing. Do. Which is something I need to get back to. In my younger days I would take an evening BBJ class and then stay and work out after. Used to stay up to the wee hours studying what ever interested me and then go to work the next day with no issues. Imo things are turning bad and dammed I am aging and having to refresh skills I should have never let get rusty. For years I have know things were going to end up like they are and yet I did only what was convenient, buying metals, beans, bandaid, and bullets. Did no training for years, nothing important. Gardened the same few vegetables and what came from a couple of fruit trees.

My list of doing is long and neglected

Dunerunner likes this.
  8. JrOrtiz

JrOrtiz Monkey

Yes, you are correct. I catch a fair amount of shit for it from opinionated tribal members. Honestly I want to feel comfortable with my primary self defense weapon. My next purchase is a 40. I used one twice, both in classes. Next class is going to be a pistol class. I want to dive into the AR universe but it's a little intimidating frankly, but it too is on the list if there is time

Dunerunner, GOG and Ura-Ki like this.
  9. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Welcome, sir, and pleased to meet you

10. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Welcome JR!!

11. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

If you want an AR the time to buy is now from a private seller before they ban that. You can take the class later. Better yet ask a vet. Many of us have familiarity with that platform. Classes are good. Serious range time is better. Good luck finding ammo though.

12. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Welcome to the tree from the INW mountains @JrOrtiz . Still some ammo out there, however some folks are proud of what they have.

Dunerunner, Yard Dart and JrOrtiz like this.
  13. JrOrtiz

JrOrtiz Monkey

Kinda ironic, I purchased small rifle primers and pistol years ago. My ammo storage, where they are also, is really the ideal place. Low humidity and stable cool temps. Those primers are now worth a mint. I recently fired some 20+ year old 357 and every round fired. I was impressed

Dunerunner likes this.
  14. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Welcome from the great State of Jefferson.

JrOrtiz and Dunerunner like this.
  15. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Welcome!! Looking forward to learning from your posts.

JrOrtiz likes this.
  16. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Welcome!!!

JrOrtiz and Dunerunner like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7