help with random wire antenna length?

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by Benjamin A. Wood, Feb 5, 2019.

Tags:
  1. I don't know anything about short wave but what I have been told. And I don't understand that ether. What I need is a random wire antenna that I can clip to my SW so as to pick up 20, 40, and 60M bands equally well. Can anyone tell me the proper length to do that? I was told I need to stay away from 1/2 waves. though I don't understand why. those 3 bands are all I need to be concerned with... Any help would be appreciated.

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Ok, First note, Receiving Antennas are NOT critical about length as long as you are longer than 1/2 Wavelegth... It is way more important to have a very efficent Ground, for your Wire to work against... The better the RF Ground, the better the Antenna will work... We used a 200 Ft chunk of #16 Stranded Copper wire strung out thru the trees, for an. antenna, and the took another 100 ft of the same wire, and made a coil, 6” in diameter, and used small tiewraps to secure it... One end goes to the long wire and. the other end goes to the best Ground you can build, in your location... the place the radio near the coil, and rotate the coil, and radio for best reception, of the signal of interest...

3. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Ben, I haven't been long in the game of ground/marine comms but done some in my career, did recently get my Extra license, my forte is wideband (tropo/satcom/microwave) but BTPost is telling you the correct thing to do. It sounds like someone is telling not to use a half-wave antenna maybe because it does generate more harmonics but your not transmitting either so...anyway in your case with a simple SW receiver - well - don't get excited about it. What you want to do is capture as much of the signal as possible and BTPost solution is truly simple AND elegant. In fact, I just purchase a SW myself (ETON Satellit) and intend to do exactly as he suggested...been scratching my head today because I want to get more signal but it's 16F outside so don't want to screw about too much, something field expedient... Nevertheless, if you want to cut your antenna to length the formula is as follows:

468 / frequency in Mhz = total length in feet for a half wave dipole.
    If you want a quarter wave then it is 234/freq or divide the above by 2.

A couple of other formulas you will need are below. Put them in your pocket for later:
    Wavelength = 300 / Frequency
    and
    Frequency = 300 / wavelength
    so
    20 meters = 15 Mhz
    40 meters = 7.5 Mhz
    60 meters = 5 Mhz

EDIT: And, if you can't do 200 feet of wire then do what you can. Let us know how it turns out.

EDIT: Here is a simple article about building a shortwave antenna...keep it simple:
    Build a Multiband Shortwave Antenna - Simple Shortwave Antennas for Shortwave Radios!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

It works a lot better for a receiving Antenna, if it is NOT cut for 1/4 Wavelength,,, but longer than 1/2 wavelength...
    I designed an RF Ground System for my neighbors, a couple of decades ago... Take 10Ft of Soft Drawn 3/8 Copper Tubing and coil if in an 8” coil with 1” verticle seperation betweeh the turns... Since our ground, when NOT frozen, has a high water table, I had them dig a 1’ Diameter hole two feet deep.. the put. the Copper coil in it, and the fill it in with Salt Water Beach.Gravel and RockSalt, 50/50.... then you connect the Ground side of the Antenna Coil to the CopperTubing.... When you want a better RF Ground you just go out and pour a Gallon of hot water on the hole... Seems to provide a very good Low Impeadence Connection to Earth Ground...

This was back in the day, before SAT TV, and Sat Radio Broadcasts, and we only had MF and SW to listen to at night... The neighbors all built them, and they worked very well, for them...

5. I am not transmitting at all. Only receiving. Also don't know if it matters, But the long wire will run north/ south. I'm looking for the best length to pick up all signals in the 20, 40, and 60 meter bands. But no other signals matter. length of antenna does not matter, just the "Best" all around length for the purpose. I have a rather cheep SW that can pick up those bands. And I want to make sure I can pick up any transmission in those bands if required. I have tried to do some reading and research to understand the subject. But for certain medical reasons, I'm finding I want to shoot my comp.

6. Xmit'ing on a wire antenna the strongest signal will be in a figure 8 with the lobes broadside to the wire, not off the ends. I suppose rcv'ing would be similar. You could consider a beverage antenna. They are typically low enough to service on foot. But are directional and fixed.

7. Re; My post above. Beverage antennas are made of wire, not empty beverage containers.

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

A bit over 50 feet will do all you can ever expect for receiving those three bands, as well as just about anything else. And no, there's no point in precise measurement as long as the wire is over 15 meters and a good deal less than 30. Resonance is NOT a consideration (well, not a big one) for reception. If you know where the originating signals originate line the wire up perpendicular to the direction the originating station lies from your location. Methinks you are worrying this to death, wire is the cheapest part of antenna, so go ahead and experiment.

Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong about that, no worries.

Idahoser, Bandit99 and Tevin like this.
  9. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Back in the day when I was in the 'green machine' and we were using A510 HF radios....the aerial grounding point became the platoon urinal :eek:...it seemed to work ok. :D

[​IMG]
    A510

BTPost likes this.
  10. Thank you that helps

Thank you all for your help. Its much appreciated

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2019
    chelloveck likes this.
  11. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

The question has been answered but it's worth pointing out that there is something of a debate in the radio community as to how long a random wire should be. Some will advise to avoid exact resonance on any one band, or their harmonics. There are a lot of theories out there.

IMHO, if you are purposely constructing a random wire antenna to be a certain length, or to avoid a certain length, then it's not really "random," is it?

My advice is to get enough copper in the air to catch a decent signal, at least fifty feet or more if you can, and don't sweat the details. If you go over 100 feet it won't hurt anything but there are diminishing returns.

@ghrit 's reply is right on.

Bandit99 and chelloveck like this.
  12. All three bands you listed are in the amateur spectrum. Order "Receiving antennas for amateur radio" - 0789 ($24.95) from the ARRL. Even if the frequencies you want to pull in aren't HAM, the numbers in this book should help you find ideas to try. While you're on the phone to ARRL, check into getting your license.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7