Here's a REAL Bug Out Machine

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Illini Warrior, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

2. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

My goodness we use to be great, producer of giant men, machines and dreams and now...not so much. We produce social media. LOL!

3. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

I’d get one, but it won’t fit in the garage - hell, it won’t fit on the property

4. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Meh, needs nerf bars and a roll cage.

6. DKR

Ura-Ki likes this.
  7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Hm. The Rolligon was also popular, but didn't like rock all that well. Snow and ice? Stand aside, I'm rolling.

8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Tully Mars and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

The mines were experimenting with these shortly before I retired from the industry.

They had been using the Diesel - electric with the wheelmotor concept on their standard haulage equipment for years. It is much easier on fuel and not subject to as many mechanical breakdowns.

In the mid-90s with the advent of computer technology, the older DC wheelmotor systems, which often ended up with brush and commutator problems and produced maintenance migraines, were replaced with AC driven wheelmotors controlled with on board variable frequency drives.

Gone were the carbon brushes and the copper commutators with their flashover problems and their out-of-round issues.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. These things remind me of the movie "Damnation Alley"

Gator 45/70 and Tully Mars like this.
  11. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

the US military had to set up the DEW line across the artic for radar missile warnings >>> these trains delivered the building supplies ....

Garand69, Gator 45/70 and DKR like this.
  12. DKR

Yup

Spent a few years in Alaska at the 11 TCW managing the logistics to those sites. Flown in on DC-6s, C-130, C-12, King Airs and a couple of really sketchy schedule 121 carriers.

I have no desire to return to any.

Garand69 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Holy cow!

Before mining I used to work on DC6s and C118s converting them to lightened cargo configurations for flying loads of salmon from Alaska to Washington State. Can't believe anyone actually had the cohones to fly in them.

14. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Northern Air Cargo still flys DC4s and DC6s around Alaska, every summer... I know where there is a DC6 stuck in beach sand cause they didn’t get it loaded in time, and the tide came in and it sunk in up to the struts above the landing gear... Still there 20 years later, minus everything worth stealing...

15. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Oh I don't know we seem to put on pretty good riots disguised as peaceful protest.............

SB21, Garand69 and Bandit99 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7