HF Packer amp about to be smoke tested

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by whynot, Oct 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. whynot

whynot Monkey+++

After almost a year of working on the kit I'm ready to inconvenience some electrons. Fairly straightforward/easy build with excellent customer support. It should have really been a 2 weekend project but kids and a wife have other priorities.

Whynot

hitchcock4 and techsar like this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I'm guessing grey!

When I owned a Land Rover, I kept a bottle of this on hand... It might work for you if you should release some in testing! :D

[​IMG]

Tempstar, oldawg and duane like this.
  4. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

^^^^ :lol:Yes, I have owned bikes with the prince of darkness electrics.

Dunerunner likes this.
  5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I was teasing in the above post about the magic smoke. That said, I also know Lucas from days gone by. It would still be nice to see a review of success or failure. For those unaware, there has to be a battery involved, it won't power successfully on a solar panel alone.

Dunerunner likes this.
  6. whynot

whynot Monkey+++

No smoke but no workie either. Off to Virgil on Monday for the safety net service for $50. Hopefully it's something stupid and easy to fix.

Whynot

Dunerunner likes this.
  7. whynot

whynot Monkey+++

So much for off on Monday back in October. (Wife, kids, Christmas ....all these unreasonable demands for money). I did get it in the mail last week and just got an email that it is headed back tomorrow. Included was a list of where I went wrong and what was done to correct the problem. Very pleased with the level of service.

I will try to play radio when it gets here a post a review.

whynot

techsar and ghrit like this.
  8. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Hopefully, the list doesn't require extra shipping! [LMAO]

9. whynot

whynot Monkey+++

It was scheduled to arrive on Saturday the 3rd but the postman had different plans. It arrived Monday and I got to briefly play with it Tuesday night on 80 meters.I got to play again this afternoon on 20 and 40 meters. I'm pleased so far after limited amount of play time. I would recommend Virgil and HFPacker amps.

whynot

ghrit and techsar like this.
  10. whynot

whynot Monkey+++

A few months of use now doing SOTA activations and I can say.... I'm pleased and consider it worth the money. The jump from 5 watts to 30ish watts on marginal days has saved a few activations.

Whynot

DKR, techsar and ghrit like this.
  11. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Glad to hear it's working out for you....those couple of S units make a world of difference!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7