his Glock jammed

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by OldDude49, Jul 16, 2020.

1. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

Ura-Ki, Gator 45/70, TnAndy and 2 others like this.
  2. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

Never had a Colt fail to fire. Do not own a glock,never will.[flag]

3cyl, Peyronie kid, techsar and 5 others like this.
  3. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Friend of mine is a sheriff's deputy. Had to pull his duty weapon one night on an incident, and hit the mag release button in the moment....full mag dropped out on the street. He was able to laugh about it later.

4. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

After reading the news article, I noted that the last two intruders entered the home after shots had been fired. That suggests to me that they were expecting shots to be fired--by the first intruder.

Which leads to the conclusion that the intruders intended to kill the homeowner first, and only thereafter rob the home.

Each of the last two intruders probably thought the shots had been fired by the first intruder, which meant the homeowner was dead and they could just stroll right in.

I'm sure it was a bit of a surprise when the last two started tripping over the corpses of the ones who had gone in ahead of them.

And then got shot.

Victims aren't supposed to be able to fight back.

It's not fair.

And it's probably racist, too.

5. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I read the article; however, I will say this: Glock don't jam. I own a number of them, thousands of rounds through them, and they will run damn near any ammo you throw at them. So, maybe he had some really funky ammo or maybe he has a modification of some sort or maybe they were ill treated but if you treat them well, cleaned and lightly oil, and maintain them they will not jam.

@TnAndy "...and hit the mag release button in the moment..."
    I wonder if he had a mag release extension on it because the standard release is recessed so much so that many change them out (I've done so). On one of my G19s, I have one that is too extended, nice for shooting at the range but its not the one I carry for fear of exactly that happening.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    Ura-Ki and Tully Mars like this.
  6. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

(Waves hand)

Ohh OOh I carry a 45 ACP. Your 9mm *might expand*

my .45 slug won't shrink....Esp as they have a large 'meplat' on the 'going in' side of things.

you get to make your choices, as do I.

have fun.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    Alf60, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

All these fancy 9’s are alright for regular folks, but I will take my John Moses Browning, Belgian Browning HiPower, over all of them, period... been my Pack Gun for 40 years and still functions like the day I purchased it... it rides in my custom Shoulder rig on my left side, for a right hand pull....

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  8. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Should have been 3 dead intruders.

9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

This is why I run...........
    A double stack 1911 in 10 mm auto! The don't jamb, you can't accidentally drop the mag, and it ticks the capacity and power boxes with a sledge hammer!
    Glocks don't jamb ether, so I suspect ether a bad grip, limp writing, or most likely, and brand new gun that he never practiced with, or with the carry ammo it was loaded with, and that comb caused his failure! Still, two dead tangos is a good night's work, glad he is still among the living!

10. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Any weapon can jam...just some are more prone to it.

But it does seem likely that adrenaline-induced operator error may have played a part. A quick transition from video game controller to a firearm...who knows?

Gator 45/70, Oddcaliber and wideym like this.
  11. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Wanna bet drugs were part of the reason for the intrusion to start with???

Gator 45/70 and Oddcaliber like this.
  12. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Anybody that has never been under the stress of fire..... does not understand what can go wrong.
    That is why most train often at the range, combat shooting courses and so on..... to simulate as best you can to a tactical situation.
    All good plans go to hell at engagement.... rule #1....but train as you would fight... muscle memory rules the day... and you don't have an accidental mag drop.... LOL.

DKR, Gator 45/70, Bandit99 and 4 others like this.
  13. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I used to carry a 1911, but went with a G-21sf years ago. Why throw a 9 when you can throw a 45? Glocks are the toughest things on the planet that are intended to expel a projectile, both functionally and cosmetically.

Gator 45/70, Bandit99 and Oddcaliber like this.
  14. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

All my Glocks are 9mm but, in truth, I would like to go to a larger caliber; however, I have so much invested in 9mm and have standardized (ammo, holsters, parts, etc.) on it that it's difficult to change. Certainly difficult given what we're going through now where ammo and firearms are at high prices.

Nevertheless, I am considering it and if I do it will be to the 10mm but I will stay with Glocks. Yes, I know I would have to purchase a new barrel to eliminate the 'smiley' problem but I would be willing to do that if Glock hasn't already fixed that issue.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. Lone Gunman

Lone Gunman Draw Varmint!

Well, . . . you've obviously never worked for a police agency like either the Indiana, or the Illinois State Police, or for (say) the Miami, or New York City Police Departments; and let's not forget about all of the trouble the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department had with their Glocks, too. (And then there's that class action lawsuit the Georgia State Patrol, and the Portland Police Bureau filed against Glock GmbH/Inc. because their pistols also didn't work. Like so many other lawsuits Glock settled that one out of court, too!)

As for myself? Well, I've been shooting and working on Glock pistols, now, for almost 20 years. I think it's very safe to say that my fired round count through several different Glock pistols I regularly use easily exceeds 250,000–275,000 fired rounds. So, guess what!

GLOCK PISTOLS CERTAINLY DO JAM, AND MANY OF THEM HAVE BEEN AND ARE (AT LEAST SPORADICALLY) INCONSISTENT AND MECHANICALLY UNRELIABLE.

So, why don't you stop with the old 'Glocks are perfect' nonsense and let that asinine myth finally die of its own long overdue accord! This ain't Glock Talk; and, whether some of us own Glock pistols or not, there are (I think happily) very few starry-eyed, first time gun buyers, or 'Glockeroos' hiding out around here.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

There has got to be more to the story on why he was targeted. He says it could be because he posts pictures of his guns on social media. There is a good lesson for you kids.

Yard Dart and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Replace "jammed" with "slide was locked to the rear and chamber was empty" and it makes a lot more sense. 3 on one, two down, one wounded. Time to count bullet holes, and practice speed reloads under pressure.

Capt. Tyree and mysterymet like this.
  18. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I've had one jam in my G17 that I purchased in 1993 and that was after a long range day putting 400 rounds through it with no cleaning. I have put close to 50k rounds through this gun since it was purchased used from a NC deputy sheriff. All of my friends have borrowed it. It's been loaned in many CWP classes. It has been a test platform for reloads. The one jam was a case rim catching on the feed ramp and I highly suspect a deformity in the case and not the ramp. Not saying they are perfect, as the 1911 (for me) is a bit more accurate, and several other makes have more desirable ergonomics, but for me and my house Glock is the standard.

Mountainman likes this.
  19. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The 1911 in 45 only holds 10 with out a ridiculous magazine. It weighs as much as a spare tire loaded, it's a great gun as long as you don't have to carry it all day.

20. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Never had a Jam in my Belgein Browning HiPower 9mm, in all the years I have carried ir... (40+) Or for that matter, in my Colt Pocket 1903 in 38ACP that I carried before that....JMB knew how to design & Build, great Firearms...

techsar likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7