History Channel- Vikings

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Motomom34, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I watched the History Channel's show called Vikings.
    It is a wonderful series that is free on Amazon Prime. Not all the history is correct but I think the show does a great job in showing how strong and fearless these people were. Their sense of adventure, skills in battle with nothing but a shield an axe is almost a lost form of battle. When one stops and considers how smart these people were. The boats they built with nothing but their brains and their hard labor is incredible. The Norseman were very dedicated to their gods and the show has a character that is a Christian priest. The show lightly touches on the difference but also similarities between the two Gods.

Ganado, GOG, sarawolf and 2 others like this.
  2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

The show was awesome until the History Channel picked it up. I think the show is still decent, but I've lost interest over the years.

3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I could only watch till season 4 because that is all that is on Amazon Prime. The show inspired me to learn more about times when people didn't have internet or all the modern conveniences. I even found a local boat builder who told me all about how the Vikings built their boats, longhouses etc.

Ganado likes this.
  4. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

Excellent!

One of the things I've noticed about far too many people is they tend to think as things are now so they were then!

They seem to never realize that over time.... there are MAJOR difference with everything...

Which IMHO denies them real knowledge and truely learning about themselves and the world around them.

Motomom34 and sarawolf like this.
  5. sarawolf

sarawolf Monkey+++

I enjoyed it while I could watch it, but it started to also get to graphic sex wise, (I could skip over all that). That wasn't needed at all for a good show I don't know why they think it is. Some things were true and some not but that's what makes a show and the young people still got to learn a little history. And yes the real people were some of my ancestors.

Motomom34 likes this.
  6. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

I like the show for the entertainment it provides.

Motomom34 likes this.
  7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

You are correct. I believe people have a hard time shedding the materialistic mentality and learning to make due with what they have. With the help of @Bishop and his videos the boys and I have been experimenting in other weapons. The youngest was in the garage making spears the other night.

sarawolf likes this.
  8. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

It is something of irreverent parody, but equally well done IMO, is Norsemen on Netflix. NSFW, mind, but fun.

I used to watch Vikings, and had occasional FITS over the historical issues, but on the whole it is a good show, not nearly sanitized to the normal degree.

Motomom34 likes this.
  9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have Netflix and will check it out. Thanks for the heads-up on another show to binge watch.

10. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I stayed up til 4am the night I found it...

Papa_asf130 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7