Holster recommendations

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Bandit99, Jan 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I have a Glock 19 and a Glock 43. I am not sure why I purchased the 43 now because every time I go to carry it I think of the small magazine and put on the 19. I want a new holster for the both of them. Outside the waistband, paddle, Kydex. Those are the prerequisites. I will probably end up using the 43 as a backup (so ankle or pocket holster) some day but for now I want a primary (OWB) holster for it too.

I purchased an excellent Mitch Rosen which is beautiful but I cannot break the damn thing in, even with their break-in grease. So, no more leather holsters. I have his shoulder-rig also in leather and love it which is why I tried his slip holster...but nevertheless, no more leather.

I have been looking at the one below as it is made just a few miles from me but not sure I want an 'alien' riding on my hip :) , funny name (heard their changing it), but seems lots of people like them.

OWB Holster (Outside the Waistband) - Alien Gear Holsters

Ura-Ki likes this.
  2. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Check out Crossbreed. I have had my Supertuck for my 19 for about 6-7 years now and it is the most comfortable I have ever had in 30 years of carry, (well..except the belly band, but it has been known to loosen up over the period of a day and is harder to draw from).

EDIT: Never mind...just saw you had specified OWB

Brokor likes this.
  3. Bandit99

@Pax Mentis Actually, I have heard good things about Crossbreed. One of my firearm instructors uses one for his 19 which is I think is a SuperTuck. I will check them out anyway. Thanks!

4. Bandit99

Just to close the loop here... I am now looking at a Phantom (Raven Concealment) and a Ronin (GunfighterINC) . Both seem to be excellent holsters but they are not sold locally so I cannot see/touch one which is a big negative but they are carried on Amazon which is a plus for ordering. Should anyone have one of these holster I would greatly appreciate any of your comments.

5. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

I have a few Alien Gear holsters, both IWB and OWB. I love em for their fit, comfort, functionality, modularity and low cost.

Brokor likes this.
  6. Lone Gunman

Lone Gunman Draw Varmint!

Me? I have a large bin full of holsters that I have no idea what the family is going to do with after I'm gone. Some of them are true classics like the belts and stuff I got from G. Wm. Davis. (Jeff Cooper's leather smith!) I've, also, got Del Fatti; (A genius at working leather!) as well as some of Wm. Tucker's leatherwork.

Know what I use most often? In my old age I've become addicted to paddle-type holsters; and, in recent years, I've moved away from leather, and into Kydex and polymer plastics, too. For the past 5 or 6 years I've been using Blackhawk SERPA paddle holsters almost everyday. (Kind 'a ridiculous when you stop to think that I've paid as much as 3 bills for some of my holsters; but this is what I've been doing; and, worse than this, I actually like my Blackhawk SERPA's, too.)

Admittedly it took me a while to learn how to make a decent (and safe) fast draw out of one; and the SERPA is NOT the most concealable holster I've ever worn; but, like most Blackhawk holsters SERPA holsters are, both, very pedestrian as well as very durable and impervious to rough wear. It IS true, though, that people who are overconfident, or push themselves too hard without, first, developing well ingrained proprioceptive reflexes DO shoot themselves more often while drawing from, or re:holstering into a SERPA holster than any other design.

Still, I've become used to them; my reflex responses are, now, where they should be; and the SERPA design holds a pistol very securely until it's needed. Blackhawk, also, makes one of the best paddle belt devices on the market; and, unlike some other brand paddle holsters I've owned, I've never had a SERPA draw with my gun. The thing I like most about my SERPA holsters is that, by removing one of the belt flanges on the paddle it becomes very easy to slide the holster from (if you're right-handed, OK.) the 2:00 o'clock driving and/or sitting position to a 3 or 4 o'clock, more concealed form of carry.

The only other caveat I'll offer is that the locking SERPA design is, on the one hand, great for security; (The pistol isn't coming out of the holster unless you press the button.) but, at the same time, this design is NOT a safe holster for: a lightly experienced pistol shooter, a gung-ho fast draw artist, or someone like a novice plainclothes police officer to attempt to use. If you're going to SAFELY use a SERPA holster, then, you'll need to practice for long enough and for often enough to become thoroughly accustomed to the design.

KEEP YOUR TRIGGER FINGER STRAIGHT, AND PUSH WITH THE PAD OF YOUR FINGER RATHER THAN WITH THE FINGERTIP.

Personally, my own trigger finger doesn't even begin to enter the trigger guard until AFTER the muzzle of my pistol reaches about 4:00 o'clock (vertically) on the ground in front of my feet; but, then again, I've been drawing pistols for more than a half century; consequently, my previous comments about using well developed proprioceptive reflexes certainly apply!

I've heard complaints that mud or ice can get under the release button and lock the pistol inside the holster; but, quite frankly, I don't mud wrestle with pigs; and I'm not into iceskating; so I don't see anything like this happening to me. Is it possible to lock a pistol into a SERPA? Yes. However, is this sort of mishap likely to happen? No, not very. Personally I'm at much greater risk of having my gun unexpectedly grabbed away from me than I am from wearing my SERPA outside my topcoat during a snowstorm.

Whatever holster you end up with I suggest choosing a design that slips quickly and easily on and off your belt without opening your belt buckle. Two paddle designs I like are Blackhawk's SERPA, and Safariland's ALS. Personal safety with any holster design is all about what you: get used to, practice with often, and teach your body how to correctly respond with. With guns and all associated equipment, do NOT make the common beginner mistakes of: unduly pushing yourself; or practicing fast draws with a loaded (chambered round) pistol; and be sure to give yourself time to learn.

REMEMBER: OVERCONFIDENCE WITH A GUN, AND/OR WITH A HOLSTER CAN QUICKLY AND EASILY LEAD TO DISASTER!

You know what they (correctly) say about, 'thinking small' while you're aiming — Right? Well, 'smooth and gentle' really is better than trying to come out of the holster, 'at the speed of light'! As a general rule: If a person needs to consciously think about what he's doing — with, say, a: pistol, knife, or whatever — that person is exceeding the scope of his own individual competence; and, like it or not, he's unwittingly courting disaster.

Oh, with a G-19 and in addition to a new holster you're also going to need, at least, one magazine carrier. (I often wear two.) Like the holster, mag carriers should also slip on and off the belt easily. For EDC items like these I think Tek-Lok clasps are one of the greatest inventions, ever! Decent G-19 mag carriers are not all that easy to find. The two I like are made by Comp-Tac, and Blade-Tech. Both come with Tek-Lok clasps.

PS: On your new leather Mitch Rosen holster, see my comments here: Breaking in new leather holsters | Survival Monkey Forums

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  7. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Horizons Leathercraft: Make Your Own Crossbreed Holster
    DSC00068.JPG DSC00069.JPG

I love working with leather. I'm still trying at kydex. Currently slated a holster to fit the XDS .45 on my schedule. I also like the Uncle Mike holsters, very minimalist but they work well for me when I want to go simple and Spartan. I once knew an old sergeant who only carried his pistol bare in his belt line. Crazy old bastard, but tough as nails. Hope you find something that works for you.

OWB? I love SERPA, always will.

8. flatlander

flatlander Monkey+

9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

What ever holster you choose ,feature "having to run with it on" and how secure it would have to be.
    This is one of the reasons I settled with a shoulder holster .

10. Pax Mentis

Actually, for some of us in the older group "run" is not really a consideration. "Dive for the nearest cover" is a better test.

T. Riley likes this.
  11. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

At our age I am not sure we can call it a "dive" can we? I'm more of a "gentle, slow-motion fall" kinda guy.

12. Pax Mentis

I can still go down as well as ever...it's the getting up after that's problematic and will probably require assistance :D

Yard Dart likes this.
  13. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

HERE HERE! (as in ME too) :ROFLMAO:

1. Yard Dart
  2. Bandit99
  3. Motomom34
  4. OldDude49
  5. Witch Doctor 01
    [ATTACH] [IMG]
    Thread by: Witch Doctor 01, Apr 2, 2017, 17 replies, in forum: Firearms
  6. Altoidfishfins