1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

Hospital pays $17,000 in bitcoins to hackers who took control of computers

Discussion in 'Technical' started by stg58, Feb 18, 2016.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

$17K is not that much in the real world sounds like some local kids.

There is nothing on my exposed devices that we would pay $17 a hacker for let alone $17.000.

Reformat and restore from backups.

Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center paid a $17,000 ransom in bitcoins to a hacker who seized control of hospital's computer systems and would only give back access when the money was paid, the hospital's chief executive said Wednesday.

Hollywood hospital pays $17,000 in bitcoins to hackers who took control of computers
    Legion489 and Motomom34 like this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Moderator Moderator Site Supporter++

You are correct. 17 thousand is not much but then maybe they can hide/ disappear a smaller amount easier. Seems really odd.
  3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Pick a small ransom, and they will likely pay it several times, before they realize they are being bled out. (Death of a thousand cuts). Make that bill 100,000.00, and watch the hospital declare an emergency, call out the guard, demand the Feds DO SOMETHING! !!!.

Just like you would not scream TOO loudly if a contractors bill was a bit more than you expected, it seems not worth the time and money to fight about it.
  4. Legion489

Legion489 Shining the Light of Truth

Yeah, I had my identity stolen. I made them pay me $500 to take it back. $17,000 is a couple insurance fraud /over payments to the hospital, or 15 aspirin. In other words, petty change.
  5. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

we will continue to see ransomware exploits as long as we have computers.
    I'm just waiting for the day they slip stream it into something like Tax prep or Industrial control software packages. At that point there won't be enough BitCoins in existence nor available for purchase to appease the perpetrators. They'll have to go back to suitcases of greenbacks.
  1. Gopherman
  2. stg58
  3. Motomom34
  4. svjoe
  5. Salted Weapon
  6. Motomom34
  7. Dont
  8. Cruisin Sloth
  9. enloopious
  10. Legion489
  11. Motomom34
  12. stg58