How do you take care of your assets> Land in this case. But open to any suggestions.

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by HK_User, May 13, 2020.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Being a long time land owner in central Texas you learn a lot of survival traits.
    In our case it has to do with long term food production.
    Our herd is a mix of really good DNA for beef production and a really bad DNA for beef production.
    That's OK as I am not into having the biggest Bull in the county.

Of course what really matters is taking care of your land and that means long term care of the most important resource that we can control, grass is a maybe thing in an area subject to drought and planning ahead will help. In this we are to amazed with the Metroplex folks who move to the country of their own accord and carry some of their worst city traits out here.
    That is the need to mow their grass to near bare ground.
    Now I am not much of a follow the group person and I do have obligations to attend to. First in what I do for the cattle is make sure I do my best in securing long term grass production.
    Think about that statement in the context of a slew of semi affluent newbies.
    But the recent lack of rain has proved our plans which we saw in action as we left to do business in town at the DAV office, post office and bank.
    As we left our enclave of false security it was clear of those that had a grip on reality as those that lived in a fog of city life past!
    I selectively mow and weed eat for grass production, no scalping and no general mowing and this includes the road right of way. In this we protect from invasive species with the weed eater instead of chemicals. Thanks to a Milwaukee weed eater carried on the RTV900 Kubota it is easier as I go about my day and beat down a variety of invasive plants. Blue Nettle, Milk Weed, and a new addition of late Devils Head.

I do cut the roadway right of way but to my advantage. In that I wait until the oats and other good grasses have seeded out and dried. Then I cut it from the road in as this will save the seeds for next year crop. I ensure that all the cuttings go to our place as a bonus of nitrogen later on.

Most have noticed the small mounds of green when the cows droppings help sprout seedlings. Most see the mounds as a "need to be mowed" thing which for me is wrong because 1.The cows refuse to eat where they poop and this provides a another good way to keep your pasture seeded for the next year.

We do keep a few head of Cow/calf pairs near the house as they are a really good source of letting you know if any thing is wrong.

Understand this is a system for dry land pastures.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    Meat, Ganado, techsar and 3 others like this.
  2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I just cut the grass out in the ''country'' Till up food plots and I refuse to clear anymore land because the rabbits need a habitat and safety from the ''Yotes''
    Added bonus,
    All my relatives that want to drag a damn trailer out there get informed it will run them about 20K to even begin to get a spot + additional taxes
    They get the honor of fighting the red bugs,Tick's,Snakes for me.
    Bonus points given if they can drag a trailer across the tracks without ripping the bottom out of it !!!

Meat, techsar, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  3. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Good fences make good neighbours. Electric fences make bbq'd neighbors.

4. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@HK_User you post great topics. Most people dont understand grass management. or herd management.... my grandpa use to say, there are cowboys, ranch hands and ranchers. True ranchers manage all of it. Grandpa had a little black book that he tracked everything in and at the end of the year he compared results year over year.

My family has dry ranch and dry grain farms in NM. We rest the pasture in the winter by putting the cattle on the dry lnad wheat. We had to manage in small pastures with intense grazing (you have to watch the land closely with this type of land management) and move the cattle at just the right time. We had a type of bunch grass that needed the crowns broken up to thrive and intense grazing let the cattle tromp up the bunch grass heads and then the following year the production of grass would double. It takes time and close monitoring.

We use smaller mexican bulls everyother year because in the USA we tend to think bigger is better but young heifers need to mate with a smaller bull the 1st year so that the babies are smaller.

Every location and every genetic herd has its own particular needs and managing all that takes time and effort.

Cruisin Sloth, 3cyl, SB21 and 3 others like this.
  5. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I’m way to dumb for this topic but I’d catch on fast with a guide in person. Then I’m normally a monster.

SB21, Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I have tons to do and I'm always behind.
    That's OK because it is a self-sustaining drive to have a regular demand on my activity.
    Inadvertently I have taken on more than I am capable of.
    When dad passed I inherited all his stuff and the property and it was/is not in good shape he bought cheap and only called everything temporary which it is.
    When my brother closed his shop he handed me all the contents and the truck as well.
    I have already given away a great deal but that had very little impact on the volume of antiques I have to deal with.
    I have other projects as well that I build for my self suing available materials as much as possible, it too keeps my mind challenged

7. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

@Ganado
    Last week I pulled a bull drop from a heifer after a few days of trying , all was fine , but me ,, Old sticky and sliped ,, I wash well ,, two 4 -H kids helped ,, Safer than the castration process ..
    Sloth

Meat, Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7