1. Given the media intensity given to the Covid 19 (otherwise known as Corona or Wuhan) virus, there seems no reason to have posts on that very specific subject in several forums Accordingly, all of those posts will be moved to "Headlines". All new items on that subject should be posted there as well. This notice will expire on 1 April, or be extended if needed. Thanks, folks.

How is the COVID-19 situation affecting you mentally?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by DarkLight, Mar 20, 2020.

1. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus Site Supporter

While I have several months worth of food via canned, jarred, dried and dry packed (and 2+ weeks in the fridge and freezer...probably more like 3 weeks), this has been weird for me. I mean, just in my head. Regardless of the reason or the underlying drivers or TPTB and their machinations and all that, the situation exists, and it's messing with my head. And today was kinda rough. Here's why.

While we've got more food in the house right now than probably any time in the past, the wife and I have still felt like we should "hit the store one last time, just to grab X". We live in an area with Aldi stores and honestly, they've been some of the best stores to shop at. It took until today for the store to look...eerie in how much it had been cleaned out, whereas the other stores (Publix, Harris Teeter, Super Target...yes, I know I just outed my area but let's be honest, I did that a LONG time ago) were bare in places almost 3 weeks ago.

So, why was today different? Today, after work, I went to Aldi to grab a few more things. Namely, and honestly exclusively for me, was the stupid generic water flavor stuff (like Mio, just generic). They were really not picked clean of a lot of things (I did NOT get any canned veggies or fruits), so I grabbed some other things...canned chicken, some chili, spray oil, tortillas, hard cider, diet coke (for the wife), peanuts, animal crackers (again, for the wife), and only a couple of each except the water flavor stuff. Things were okay, really not an issue, felt good. People were tired but cordial if not outright friendly. The cashiers were happy, if tired, it was good.

Dropped it all off at home and there were a few more things on the list that Aldi didn't have (flour, dried milk just in case, coconut milk because it lasts longer, stuff like that). This is where it started going sideways for me.

I pull up to Publix, and it started. People were far more aggressive in the parking lot. People in some cases literally had a hunted look on their face and heads were on a swivel. I get inside and the nice old lady is wiping down all the cart handles for us (very nice) and I get a cart and get inside. It was hard to breathe. I'm not kidding, the tension in the air was physically tangible. People were practicing their social distancing and all, but people were just plain tense. The store was much more picked over than I have ever seen it, and it's one of the more expensive stores, so it's usually last to get hit.

People weren't wandering aimlessly, but there was a feeling of despondence and it was clear that people weren't getting everything they had on their list. I got a couple of things and headed out of the store and took a deep breath...because I could.

So I think to myself, well, HT is usually okay, let's swing by...but they had just closed for cleaning and stocking, so I figure I'll go to Target.

I walk in and it's worse than Publix. More of the "essentials" are just flat gone. Bread aisle is EMPTY, I mean there is literally NO bread. Not the gluten free, not the zero net carb, nothing. NOT A SINGLE LOAF OF BREAD IN THE STORE! I have NEVER seen that, even when there's the threat of 1/4 inch of snow and we're all gonna die or a hurricane is barreling at us (in the middle of the state). There were 2 gallons of milk and a couple dozen half-gallons of faux-milk. There were 3 dozen eggs. There were a couple dozen bags of flour and zero yeast. There was no peanut butter except the super expensive fru-fru brand. There was no rice, there were almost no beans. There were soups, but they were picked over. There was zero meat in the refrigerated section. There wasn't even tripe. There were a handful of "processed meats" and that's it. There was one lunchable. And this is what hit me the hardest...there were older folks in every single aisle looking for something they needed (and not crap, junk, garbage food), and there wasn't any. And that's when it hit me.

I can't do this again. My family is set up for a fair amount of time and I can't be a part of this. I don't need to be here, I don't need to be contributing to this. I'm part of the problem now.

Don't get me wrong, and what I'm about to say may sound brash and bravado, but I don't mean it that way. If it's them or me and mine, truly dog eat dog, kill or be killed, I'd kill every person in that store for what was left and maybe feel bad about it later. Mine...Come...FIRST! But it isn't that way right now, it isn't that bad yet, and it doesn't need to be, and holy shit it hit me hard.

We've "prepped", and we're good. We should be able to weather this as not much more than a minor inconvenience. And now I need to hole up and circle the wagons and quit contributing to the problem (no, not once have we hoarded TP...we get that shit early and often...not an issue at this house).

There are people out there on the edge. Either financially or in some other way and they have no clue how to handle what's going on, regardless of the reason. They are scared and getting more so. They are on limited means and in some cases aren't going to make it. It was hard to see, and I'm not prepared to see it yet. It was tough, really tough, and I can't do that again for a while, especially if I don't need to.

The fear out there is real, again regardless of the reason. The panic in some cases is just under the surface. It's tangible and in a crowd it could get out of hand. Nothing happened, but the veneer was very thin, and it's going to get thinner.

My son has his last day of work tomorrow and then he's out for no less than 2 weeks (they are paying wages based on the average week for the last 10 weeks, which is appreciated). Once he's in, no reason to go out other than the yard and keep the single mom next door from going stir crazy (at 6 feet or more...not going to be stupid about it). We'll garden, we'll mow, we'll do the fire pit, but I'm not going to contribute to a) the panic buying or b) someone else not being able to get what they need. I know I'm just one person, but I can't have that on my conscience.

Still pretty messed up right now. Sad at the situation, really disturbed by the older folks on a fixed income that can't get the basics (I'm talking middle of the store aisles, not the crap on the peripheral and endcaps). A little pissed at myself for not prepping more in times of plenty (could have always done more). Depressed that things are the way they are. Frustrated that it doesn't look like it's going to wrap up or get back to normal any time soon.

How is everyone else handling it?

john316, Motomom34, SB21 and 12 others like this.
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grudge Monkey

Yup! We just bugged out! Our current A.O. is tenable, but it's not going to remain that way much longer! The white trash are not following the rules, and it's only a matter of time before things get violent and we needed to be long gone before any of that! So, off to the bug location for us, with plans to stay as long as this lasts! We have everything covered, so a year or more later, we will still be good!
    It's going to be rough, no doubt about it, but that's what it's going to take to survive this, so that's what we will do!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    Caveman Jim, SB21, DarkLight and 8 others like this.
  3. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey++

Being a military veteran we were taught how to function under stress. Not that I'm under a lot of stress but some. Different people handle situations differently. Most stores here have been picked clean of certain items but other things are in abundance. One store I went into all of the Spam was gone! LOL. I see this as a major inconvenience and at the same time an exercise in prepping for what may come. Don't overthink too much and let nature take its course.

4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Mai, They having a party down the street with boiled crawfish,I may grab a beer and ease on down....
    Pretty sure this doesn't help one iota?

Caveman Jim, SB21, DarkLight and 6 others like this.
  5. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Mentally I'm good. It might be because I take at least a week where I'm pretty much off grid each summer with minimal human interaction. Granted I drive the car to go hike, or my favorite fishing hole back in the bush at the beaver dam then head back to camp either that day or next. So missing the daily face to face interaction is no big deal.

We don't have as much stocks as we would like but we can still hit stores for now. The wife can cook from scratch so we've got food but after about 6 weeks rice and beans is going to get kinda monotonous.

we've got chickens, ducks, a turkey, rabbits and a couple of goats that I'd sacrifice is necessary. So for now we have eggs a plenty now that the days are getting longer.

Wife is now concerned as I took her to the store late last week. She got to see the decimation first hand and then decided to start dropping all kinds of stuff in the cart. they were out of the 2 things she really wanted. bread and butter. So she grabbed a couple more bags of flour. They had absolutely no milk nor butter, but a crap ton of heavy heavy whipping cream. She grabbed about a gallon worth of heavy whipping cream (guess who's making butter).

Wife has been watch a bunch of YouTube preppers (finally).
    Kids are bored as hell, with the schools closed. But they are using up the bandwidth on the internet when they aren't working in the garden, chopping wood or looking after the animals.

3 biggest concerns are, power goes out, internet goes out, we go on a bank holiday.
    any one of those could be a tipping point for those that have no preparations and i'd figure that would be 90%+ of the state.

Those are followed by food distribution failing and hospitals overloading doctors/nurses/emts and the protective services.
    that is when things go into the abyss. tough choices may need to be made that we will have to live with our choices and their consequences. Hopefully we don't get to that point.

But for now things are going great.

6. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

I’ll admit it was a bit odd to have things turn sideways, at least for the general public. More so than when Katrina was on her way. My last trip to the store was merely for some additional coffee, which at the time was still in abundance. But the meat section was pretty well cleaned out as were bread, milk and eggs. Canned veggies were being restocked at the time, but it was obvious that aisle had taken a recent hit. This was last week...and I have no plans to go back for quite a while.

Today I was surprised to see gasoline had dropped to $1.75/gal. Lack of demand, I suppose.

Not stressing it, although I would miss the Monkey if the net were to be interrupted. Biggest concern is the folks that lose their ever-loving minds over this.

7. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Yeah exactly, in my so-called mind they're a bigger threat than the virus.

Things are pretty much calm in my present AO. Still some bare shelves this morning when I went to the nearby Fry's supermarket, but a few things were being re-stocked. They even had a limited supply of toilet paper. Picked up a few items but we're not really out of anything, so didn't go hog wild. People were polite and friendly. I joked with the cashier and he got a laugh out of it.

We're always pretty well stocked at the house and we haven't even come close to eating our preps yet.

Heading to the BOL tomorrow (it's even better stocked). Why? Because if things go sideways and result in a lockdown, there's plenty to do in the form of brush clearing and tree trimming. Get tired of that and I can do some shooting, hiking, maybe even small game hunting. Nearest neighbor is two miles as the crow flies (no social distancing issues) and good people. I've spent over a month there last year and never saw another human being. Broadband internet and cell service is available, so not completely cut off.

Can't do shit on the edge of the big city except sit in my living room and watch the talking heads tell us about how we're all going to die. Imagine that for three months. Could start a back yard garden I guess - nah.

Could be worse. There could be rampant fuel shortages. That would not be good.

8. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

The old mossy with both side saddle loaded with 00 buck is ready to rock

9. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

I am struggling a bit more than I figured I would with more people around the farm even if they are trusted friends. That is just habit and routine of being a lone most of the time. Will get used to it though. MRs T5R is really struggling with how fast her world is falling apart. She is a tough lady though, this whole things is just unfathomable to her at this time. On the upside she is gaining a new appreciation for why I do a lot of the things I do. I did about stoke out over dinner tonight when she sat her glass down and asked "Are you sure we have enough guns and bullets ?" After 10 years of being asked "Do you really need more guns and bullets?"

10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Deeply satisfying.
    It's like I rubbed a lamp and a fucking genie came out.
    People are seeing China for what they are, only logical conclusion is more manufacturing comes back home.
    The "bail outs" have strings attached to bring more jobs back to the United States.
    A good chunk of out sourcing everything to China for the last 25 years is about to be undone.
    All of a sudden people are questioning how government employees on low 6 figure salary are quickly becoming multimillionaires.
    Mexico wants to close the boarder and all of a sudden no one thinks open boarders are a good idea.
    Gun hating libtards all of a sudden need a gun.
    Stimulus checks are in play and no one is saying "not my president".
    All those stimulus checks are going to go to people who are disabled, retired, actually worked and paid taxes, etc.
    Not a peep about impeachment, investigations or bullshit Russian collusion.
    Trump called the state department "the deep state department".
    I haven't received a call about extending my cars warranty in weeks.
    And I might get a few weeks off work.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  11. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey++

Well, I've been following this for about 2 months already, but it's really starting to hit home with disinfecting protocols at work, my family FINALLY getting onboard, shortages of everything, the economic worries of a recession or depression, the business shutdowns, etc....and today we had the first confirmed local case. Now all we have to do is get through the next few months.

12. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

My family has hit that overwhelm point you get when you 1st start prepping.

One half of me is reassuring them. Had to have a few talks about do what you can, what are your most important needs? How much can you afford now. Don't go crazy blah blah blah

I know everyone on the Monkey has been preparing for years so you have all the stuff and most of the skills in place that you need and perhaps your families do not. This includes mental skills. Its a constant reassuring them that overwhelm is a normal part of the process when your reality changes.

The other half of me (in my head which i don't say out loud) says get a grip, you can still work from home. you still have electricity gas, running water, sewer, internet and TV. So far not a great hardship so just chill out.

so i guess this makes me bipolar :p

13. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

This reminds me of a dream I had when I was 7 years old.
    Funny how that works.

SB21, Ganado, Ura-Ki and 3 others like this.
  14. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

So far so good. Work is considered critical defense industry so we are still working, for now. Uncle augar hasn’t called yet but if things continue to go down the toilet, it is only a matter of time. So close to retirement from that crap too... kids are taking it OK but don’t totally get it yet. Hubby is doing well too. We might start getting the 5th wheel ready for a trip.
    Remember, “you go to war with the army you’ve got, not the army you want.”

15. Tempstar

Tempstar Praeclarum Site Supporter+

Like Darklight, The wife and I ventured out yesterday and I taught her about extending our supply. I look at how many meals 2 of us can get from something versus how much it costs. She paid attention for a change.
    And yes, there was a tension in the air but also everyone seemed more friendly, I'm guessing due to the whole common enemy thing. We grabbed some hot dogs and smoked sausage (4 meals for two) a large frozen pizza (2 meals for 2) some chips and a pack of lunch meat (6-8 meals) and a hand full of frozen dinners to put in the last empty spot in the freezer. I could tell that other people were watching us, and one older lady seemed to be following along and buying what we did. The sitrep: No bread but plenty of cereal and milk, canned food picked 90% clean, no paper products, almost no butcher meats but plenty of pre-packaged lunch meat etc, plenty of frozen dinners.
    Mentally, I'm feeling a bit of stress but remain confident we'll get through this. I do not want to catch this thing and volunteered to work at our transmitter facility alone. I can take the wife if she wants to go and be bored. We have 8 confirmed cases here so it has hit my threshold of cutting off contact. For the next two weeks I will only interact with the wife and the gas pump.

16. Catullus

Catullus Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I am in a situation where my wife is telling her family that they need to buy a gun!! As far as I am concerned the world is about to really end lol...but seriously...in all the years I have known her she has never once told me that I haven't prepped enough. She has been saying that this could get really bad for over 6 weeks. We actually cancelled an anniversary trip to Paris a couple weeks ago...and I thought she was being too paranoid. One of my brother-in-laws lives in Seattle and the other one lives in NYC...

I have a young daughter will CP who is in same risk category as a 90yr old so my stress level is very high right now. I have basically quarantined myself and 3 kids in our house with only my wife going out and taking precautions. She is a DNP and Midwife so is going to work for now...but the hospital (large) that she works at is already critically low on masks and blood...

The hospital admins are preparing to fill an entire hospital campus up with covid patients in the next 4-6 weeks....because they are pretty certain that not enough people are self isolating in order to make an appreciable difference in what is coming.

Therefore, I am treating this as a real SHTF scenario and am acting accordingly...but instead of a bol the goal is to hunker down in place and wait it out till I can get my daughter a vaccine.

oldawg, Ura-Ki, mysterymet and 2 others like this.
  17. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Being a retired mostly pessimistic introvert who people have labeled as mental(weird?) all my life there hasn't been much change here. Mrs. Dawg has been filling in some holes in the preps of short and medium term items. I helped by recovering a couple or so Garand clips of '06 black tip from a past boating accident. Other than that we are just enjoying her unexpected vacation time. Other than wishing I had claymores It's just normal here.

john316, Ura-Ki, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  18. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

There's hope after all

Caveman Jim, john316, Ura-Ki and 3 others like this.
  19. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

So far, my county has no infections. Of some 40K people, this area is pretty well isolated with not a lot of mixing between townships other than places like the various gun club ranges. Even churches don't mix a lot one township to the next. It helps that the nearest high population centers are 35 or so miles off, one in each direction. Physically speaking, we are in a good place. Mentally, there are no highs nor lows here, everyone is alert and pretty cool about things, self isolation and social distancing, yes, but no need for quarantine level of caution. For myself, I'm hermit oriented, have been for years, so nothing out of the ordinary.

20. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Do you know all those flu shots everybody was praising?
    Do you remember the "crazy conspiracy theorists" like myself who warned you not to trust corporate government?

Yeah...it turns out it makes you more susceptible to viruses like this recent COVID-19. It's called VIRUS INTERFERENCE.

Watch @4:20
    Or just Google it, prove us all wrong. *wink*

SB21, DarkLight, Ganado and 2 others like this.
  1. ED GEiN
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Witch Doctor 01
  4. T. Riley
  5. Motomom34
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Motomom34
  8. 3M-TA3
  9. ED GEiN
  10. Yard Dart
  11. Motomom34
  12. Motomom34