How many consider swimming one of their survival skills ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by arleigh, Sep 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I swam sense I was kid, and even took life guard training .
    I enjoy swimming in the ocean and in lakes and discovering the critters below the surface .
    In some ways there is a big advantage in foraging under water over traditional fishing methods .Some times you even find stuff other had lost.
    A trident (frog gig ) on a shaft with a sling shot can be quite effective compared to attempting to see and strike from above the water .

sarawolf, SB21, Dunerunner and 5 others like this.
  2. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Dynamite works great for fishing to... ummm...or so ive heard....:cautious::cautious::cautious:

SB21, Dunerunner, oldawg and 4 others like this.
  3. BenP

BenP Monkey++

Yep. We even put our children through infant survival swimming lessons when they were babies.

sarawolf, arleigh, SB21 and 5 others like this.
  4. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

In the event of flood conditions I don't see many surviving being ignorant of safe swimming techniques in that kind of water .
    Water tends to be swifter below the surface often making rescue even more difficult.
    There are speculations of water levels rising world wide and or tsunami level events that many are not prepared for .
    Some that swim spend so little time under water still are disoriented under water , fewer still can hold there breath more than a minuet.
    Falling through ice in a lake or stream demands instant action , but in those unprepared, panic kills them first.
    Just a friendly suggestion from some one that's done water and ice rescue.

5. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

The last 6 month that I was in the Marine corps that was my job water combat swim instructor / life gaurd training pilots anglo company recon force recon seals and swim quil for other units and life gaurding during rec pool if it was a mos I would still be there.

sarawolf, Motomom34, arleigh and 6 others like this.
  6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I don't know how many Helicopter simulators I've been strapped in and rolled upside down in a pool and had to escape?

7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

As a P.J, I swam every single day I was able, and was expected to be able to swim in some of the worst conditions imaginable, every bit the equal of the Coast Guard Rescue swimmers and then some! In my prime, I could out swim a full platoon of squeals, now days, I could probably lead them! LOL We were often air dropped out to sea and had to swim a deflated boat and motor back to shore, some times more then 10 miles out! Had to be able to swim down to 100 feet, retrieve a rifle and load of ammo, and ascend on a single breath. Had to be able to do 50+ with heavy gear and or tools to rescue a downed pilot or flight crew! And with Dive equipment we were expected to be able to match a Navy Rescue Diver!

Yea, swimming is a serious set of skills and holding ones breath for long periods of time is a serious bonus that should be practiced and expanded on! I used to be able to sit on the bottom for a good 5 min after hyper ventilating, not so much now, maybe 3 min tops, but that's still more then most can handle! I can still do a 5 mile swim easy, and a 10 miler isn't all that hard unless it's really COLD!

8. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

The coast guard was the only branch we did not see come through the pool

The helo dunker was always fun but we did not have it at our pool we had to go to cherry point for that

When we were doing abandoned ship drill we always had some one that was scared of hights so I would say go one two three and go on three the eouwo go one two with there leg up and before they got to three I would push them hit in a belly flop face first had a big Marine come back up after me he grabbed me and I took him off the high dive blow all my air out and took him to the bottom and held him there when I let him go he looked like a rocket leaving the water.

arleigh, Zimmy, SB21 and 5 others like this.
  9. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Old hand crank generators don't draw as much unwanted attention :) At least that is what I have heard ;)

10. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

The newer ones are electronic and easily concealed in the bottom of a tackle box..............................so I've been told.:cautious:

Thunder5Ranch, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  11. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I can swim, not great, but I can swim... I never really cared too much for it even though I know it's a great exercise, I always preferred running.

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  12. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I would drown. My kids would drown. We are not swimmers. For some reason swimming lessons for kids are held during working hours. I know that is no excuse but our family is not into swimming. I can float and swim a bit but not enough to save my life.

oldawg and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Knowing how to swim is great, but knowing how and what to do if you find yourself in the water is another. Floundering around trying to swim a stream or lake in your clothes will wear you out in an instant. Cold water at 50 degrees with sap your strength and lower your body temperature quickly. Not being knowledgeable of the body of water you are negotiating is also a danger. Under water hazards like barbed wire fences, fallen trees, rock outcroppings, sunken cars (flooded areas), unseen currents and entanglements are extremely dangerous.

sarawolf, oldawg, Motomom34 and 4 others like this.
  14. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Never too late to learn! There are many options, your best is going to be one of your local High Schools or the Old school YMCA! Outside of those two, most Community Collage's offer swimming lessons for a small fee, usually pretty inexpensive. Or you guys can take a vacation and come to the PNW and I'll whip you into shape right quick and in a hurry like! LOL
    Actually, My Son would likely be the one to teach you, he is really good with helping people learn stuff, and he has a great amount of patience! Something to do with being a trainer in the Motor life boat school! LOL

sarawolf, Motomom34, arleigh and 3 others like this.
  15. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

LOL was talking about this topic with a friend off line that is a avid swimmer......... He gave me great encouragement "POOP Floats, you will be fine ;) "

16. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

If you're in the Navy you had better know how to swim! But I'm a bit out of practice LOL

17. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Swimming is a critical skill in my family. Babies are acclimated as soon as the water is warm and swim for life.

To me, being unable to swim is worse than being unable to operate a motor vehicle.

You can choose whether or not to drive but Nature chooses whether or not you might need to swim or die.

18. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The plant is covered with 2/3 water and most of us are not far from a body of water.
    Not being able to swim is really tempting fate.
    It's like that family that drowned when the duck boat sank, if they didn't have something that floated to hang on to, they might as well have fallen into a lake of lava.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    Gator 45/70, sarawolf, Zimmy and 4 others like this.
  19. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson Black Powder Monkey

Swimming is a very important skill to have...After all the world 80% or so water ....:D
    It just makes sense to me , to know how to swim and be confident in and around water...
    Not saying you need to be the next Mark Spitz and all , but still...

I grew up swimming and needed to pass a swim test for both Ranger School and L.R.R.P / LRSD School and units while in the Army..So you might need this skill for certain jobs / schools in the military.
    Andy

Gator 45/70, sarawolf, Zimmy and 2 others like this.
  20. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I am reminded of the movie The Poseidon Adventure"
    The few that survived had to swim, or die.
    There are plenty of events in life that being able to swim makes the difference ,also being able to hold one's breath can also be a serious advantage .

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7