How many spare rounds in shotgun?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by AxesAreBetter, May 11, 2019.

1. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I've been looking over some upgrades for my shotgun, and the big one I am getting all kinds of opinions on is "how many rounds should my shtf/combat shotgun hold"...
    Got every answer from "leave the plug in" to "get one of those 30 shot spinning end things", figured I would open the can of worms up here and see where y'all fell on the spectrum?

Gator 45/70, oldman11 and GOG like this.
  2. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

I have a Mossberg 590 SP and it holds eight in the tube + one in the pipe.
    I'm waiting for a 6rd. side saddle to come in the mail and that will go on. That will have to suffice.

Ura-Ki, Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  3. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Got 5 in the tube and 5 on the side. 1 1/4 oz of #4's coming at you! After that it's the 9mm.

4. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Well, the double barrel shotgun is a little limited on capacity.

SB21, Ura-Ki, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  5. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

For me Shotguns are not primary weapons, but more like last ditch / last gasp when you are being overrun. That said I own 5. Ammo is heavy as is recoil so i also consider them men's weapons. All but one are Rem 870s in 12ga and only 5 rds each. I like the keep it simple stupid doctrine. The odd duck is a Mossberg pump in 12ga that I sort of took in a trade where a guy owed me money. I will probably trade it or sell it when the time is right. Primary weapons are .223/5.56mm and .308/7.62mm. I can also muster up several 9mm sidearms for ccw situations. I believe in adequate ammo stores for all potential service/duty weapons. jmho

SB21, chelloveck, sec_monkey and 3 others like this.
  6. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

870 with 8 round extended mag and for recoil have the barrel cut with a EDM process to reduce felt recoil.

EDM Porting — Rob Roberts Custom Gun Works

This is not who I used.
    I used
    Mag-na-port International--Home Page
    The Standard Pro-Port procedure consists of "cutting" eleven compound ellipsoidal ports into each side of a barrel These (similar to an oval) ports are placed behind the choke tube or constricted area in a series of two rows with six on the top and five on the bottom.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  7. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

My Rem870 Express has the 8 round mag tube and the six round Side Saddle carrier. Also have a 13 round carrier on a sling, but that makes it a bit cumbersome, so not usually mounted.

8. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

[​IMG]

Maximum Effective Range of Buckshot
    very cool site - practical limit on shotties - 40 meters for so

Summary-
    If your duties or circumstances lead you to carry a shotgun for self-defense when outdoors, we encourage you to make use of shotshells utilizing a pattern-controlled shotcup and copper-plated shot pellets. As tested, pattern-controlled #1 buckshot presents an interesting alternative to the more traditional 00 buckshot (also pattern-controlled) in that the maximum effective range is the same but the felt recoil is reduced by 23% over the 00 buckshot load. Since there is no difference in the long range performance of the two shells, we recommend the Federal LE132 1B load to maximize range and minimize recoil for the defensive shotgun. For self-defense indoors or in environments that physically cannot exceed 10 yards distance, we recommend #4 plated buckshot at 1250 ft/sec or higher muzzle velocity. You can maximize your shotguns effectiveness by selecting buckshot that is effective out to your maximum planned engagement distance and no further.

Oh, BTW - the mex effective range of this bad boy
    [​IMG]
    Is listed as 500M and 650M 'with optics'.

VisuTrac, sec_monkey, Ura-Ki and 4 others like this.
  9. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I own several shotguns, while my favorite is actually a double-barrel, I guess I am mostly a pump-gun kinda guy. Model 12 Winchesters are my goto for almost everything but I keep a Benneli M1 Super 90 Tactical in my truck, it has a ten rd tube, a side-saddle with six more and a gas mask pouch full of buck, ball, and shot that follows it around. Of course, there is the M79 grenade launcher loaded with a .22-18 beehive, that's sort of a shorty with an attitude.

VisuTrac, sec_monkey, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  10. DKR

LOL
    [​IMG]
    for when you want to send the very best...40MM (Cutaway of 40mm Flechette Grenade)

11. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

If you shoot at anybody with something making a fireball like that you'd better be prepared to shoot and scoot because the return fire could be brutal. Surprisingly, the simple looking birdcage flash hider of the style on the M16A1 will reduce a fireball like that to a couple barely visible sparks.

sec_monkey, Ura-Ki and oldman11 like this.
  12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

If you have such a FireBall at the Muzzle of your Weapon, you are wasting a WHOLE BUNCH of Powder and NOT getting full use of the Powder that is burnt before the charge exits the Barrel... Someone needs to do a better Job, of designing the loading of that Shell, for then Weapon it is being fired from...

13. hot diggity

I keep it simple. Defensive shotguns hold the maximum capacity in the tube (8, 5, 3) plus one in the chamber. I've found extended tubes and plugs to be problematic. I get my hands banged up on receiver mounted shell holders, but I do carry a few specialty rounds in elastic holders on the butt. They can be installed facing different directions to help identify them.

[​IMG]
    An important safety note on shotgun shells in cloth or leather shell holders. The metal portion of the shell will react with the holder if it encounters moisture. You get either rust or vertigris, making them useless.

If you have to run out the door with only a shotgun you can use a pouch to drop a whole box of shot shells into. The box holds them nicely and keeps them quiet. Something like a surplus canvas SAW ammo bag with shoulder strap would work. I use a similar belt-mounted pouch for 3 gun. Not the fastest reload, but fast enough for me, and I'm not dropping stuff in the mud.
    [​IMG]

14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

25, That's all I can swim with,That and a shotgun......

15. hot diggity

Exactly. Most of the Russian surplus ammo has issues like that. 7.62x54R surplus from most countries, fired in a Mosin-Nagant 91-30 makes no flash. In an M38 or M44 it makes a 24" fireball. 9" more barrel length is all that's needed to consume the powder before the bullet exits the barrel. Makes me wonder if the guys I see at the range with compact 16-20" barrel bolt action "sniper rifles" have fired them at night to see what kind of muzzle flash they have. It really won't matter how far back in a building you set up your position. If the whole building flashes like a flash cube went off inside and I'm taking fire, I know where you are. ;) I miss having artillery support.

Now I'm wondering about shotguns in the dark, since I've never thought to test one during a night shoot. I suspect that even with an 18" barrel there will be little flash, given the burn rate of shotgun powders.

Bandit99, SB21, Oddcaliber and 4 others like this.
  16. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Try politically correct 28 inch barrel, sub sonic or reduced recoil shells for low flash shot gun, ect.

sec_monkey, HK_User and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Shotguns are to me, a narrow, specific need tool, and because ammo is bulky for the number of shots, not a very practical for extended carry use! I some times would carry a shorty Remmy 870 pistol grip as a back up/breaching tool, but these days, my shotguns are all home defense, or around camp defensive tools!
    I really dig the old Winchester 1897 trench types with Bayonet fixed, makes for a wicked tool in most situations!

Bandit99, SB21, sec_monkey and 3 others like this.
  18. DKR

Yup -I take the kiddos to the range with a metric crapton of COMBLOC surplus ammo and scare the horses.....

Gator 45/70, Oddcaliber and HK_User like this.
  19. Just read an article about Mossberg 590A1 Retro in Firearms News (formerly Shotgun news). Author gave it good review. Very trench gun looking, hand guard and all, ,and it has a bayonet lug, takes M-16 bayonets. Don't have any idea about LE's view on them but as one "Tommy" at Roark's drift said " spears don't run out of cartridges". Fixed bayonets against untrained opponents would be intimidating at least.

20. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

I like shotguns for up to around 50 yards or so depending on what the load is. I went all out and bought a belt that holds 25 rounds and I can sling it over my shoulder. Shotguns are deadly and inexpensive. You do have to know their limitations. My uncle was a shotgun nut and was kind enough to show me what different shot did at different yards.

oldman11, Gator 45/70 and Bandit99 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7