How to reanimate the walking dead or hangover cures...

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by Witch Doctor 01, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

How to raise the walking dead... option one...

The Zombie is the mother of all freak drinks. It hearkens back to the late '30s, when Hollywood restaurateur Don the Beachcomber supposedly cooked it up as liquid CPR for some poor SOB experiencing death by hangover. In any case, it caught on, especially at the
    Ingredients

1/2 oz. white rum
    1 1/2 oz. golden rum
    1 oz. dark rum
    1/2 oz. 151-proof rum
    1 oz. lime juice
    1 tsp. pineapple juice
    1 tsp. papaya juice
    1 tsp. superfine sugar
    Directions

1. Stir together all these ingredients except the 151 and pour into a 14-ounce glass three-fourths full of cracked ice.
    2. Float the 151 as a lid by pouring it into a spoon and gently dipping it under the surface of the drink.
    3. Then, if the spirit moves you, take a match to this mixture; it will burn.
    4. Garnish with mint (either straight or dipped in lime juice and then superfine sugar) and/or fruit.
    Zombie - Drink Recipe – How to Make the Perfect Zombie

Option 2...

This version of the classic tomato juice-based cocktail was created by Eben Freeman, bartender of Tailor restaurant in New York City. Though fairly simple and straightforward in his approach, Freeman uses freshly grated horseradish, but he admits that prepared is OK for single servings. Freeman encourages experimentation: He recommends adding wasabi or curry powder for an interesting twist.

Ingredients
      • 1/4 cup (2 ounces) tomato juice
      • 3 tablespoons (1 1/2 ounces) vodka
      • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
      • 3/4 teaspoon freshly grated horseradish
      • 3 dashes hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco
      • 1 pinch salt
      • 1 dash freshly ground black pepper
      • About 1 cup ice cubes
      • 1/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
      • 1 stalk celery
      • 1 lemon wedge (optional)
    Preparation
      1. In 11-ounce highball glass, stir together tomato juice, vodka, Worcestershire sauce, horseradish, hot sauce, salt, and pepper. Fill glass with ice, then pour mixture into second glass. Pour back and forth 3 to 4 times to mix well, then sprinkle lemon juice over. Garnish with celery stalk and lemon wedge (if using) and serve.
    Option 3

[​IMG]

Ura-Ki likes this.
  2. ochit

ochit Monkey+

LONG ISLAND ICED TEA
    • 2 cups ice cubes
    • 1 ounce vodka
    • 1 ounce gin
    • 1 ounce white rum
    • 1 ounce white tequila
    • 1/2 ounce Triple Sec
    • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
    • 1/2 cup cola, or to taste

3. Witch Doctor 01

file for down load....

Attached Files:

Ura-Ki, Zimmy and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  4. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Got a really bad hangover? Killer headache?

What you got isn't a hangover - it is dehydration. Bust a liter of normal saline into a vein or inhale medical grade o2 for a while. Or, if at home, a nice and large (10oz or more) cup of warm green tea. 20 oz even better....

The web suggests:
    Drink carbohydrate/electrolyte-containing drinks. Good choices are sports drinks such as Gatorade or prepared replacement solutions (Pedialyte is one example).

Better yet, when going out for a night on the town, order a large water 'chaser' for each shot of booze.

5. ochit

ochit Monkey+

The original Zombie drink was served in a tall high ball glass it had 7 giggers in layers of differing gravity / weights of liquor and liqueurs and different colors. in order to get the colors separate use a tooth pick over the mouth of the bottle to stream the liquor along the glass so it would not mix . A story form years ago this is why a Arab nation illegalized alcohol the son of a king drank too many and died in his own vomit after drinking spree in Europe.

What we see today is not the original as it got a bad rap it was difficult to make and a room temperature drink it did not have ice mixed in it. many tropical drinks are a shadow of their original because some ingredients are not legal or hard to get. Absinthe is one that you cannot get the original of unless you go to France or maybe e other places in Europe there are nuts and fruits that are banned in the U.S. so there are the generic and weakened versions may as well get a soda.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  6. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Hair of the dog, folks. Hair of the dog.

Seriously, I haven't had a hangover since I was 30. I finally decided to try something a police officer told me when I was 18 or 19, but didn't believe him back then. Through the night, drink water. Don't go the entire night without doing so. The water will keep you hydrated so you don't wake up with a hangover. Like I said, been doing it since I was 30. Never one single hangover, since.

7. ochit

ochit Monkey+

Bloody Mary with snappy tom or spicy V8 tomato juice melted ice replaces water loss :cool:
    fill a large glass or mug with ice
    2 giggers white rum or vodka
    1can Snappy Tom or spicy V8
    Worcestershire, a dash
    lemon juice, and or olive juice a squirt
    salt, pepper, dash of each
    stalk celery as a garnish or celery salt

put over in a cocktail shaker -shake pour back in glass and serve. one is good 2 is better you could chug a glass of water with a BC powder or crushed aspirin before during or after or not at all .

Ura-Ki likes this.
  8. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

If you've been partaking of the house brands of booze, ie: the "well" you are also suffering from the effects of chemical poisoning. The manufacturers of cheap distilled spirits use a single, or at best a double run for each batch, and forego aging in charcoal. The first allows much more of the esters, ketones and aldehydes to remain in the distillate, along with some of the heavier alcohols, and aging in charcoal helps remove those that do make it into the bottling run.
    Distilling potable booze is a science, and the large cheap bottlers will squeeze as much out of the usable "cut" as they can. A decent explanation, although quite technical, may be found here: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/j.2050-0416.2010.tb00794.x

Bandit99, Ura-Ki and DKR like this.
  9. DKR

Isn't alcohol poison anyway?

There is this -
    Your body sees alcohol as a poison, or at least as something it doesn't actually want inside it. To fight back, and sober you up, humans produce an enzyme called alcohol dehydrogenase.

That enzyme gets its shot at your alcohol when it attempts to pass through the stomach lining, and when it reaches your liver, primarily. On contact, it snatches a hydrogen atom off the ethanol molecules in your drink, rendering it into non-intoxicating acetaldehyde. Humans can then use aldehyde dehydrogenase as a kind of clean-up crew, breaking down the acetaldehyde that's sometimes considered a cause of hangovers, along with dehydration.

Edit to add
    5 O'clock gin makes great lighter fluid if your Zippo runs dry at the bar.
    And you are correct, house brand booze is (watered down) crap.

I stopped drinking in 1975.
    I don't care if folks drink, none of my business - until they get into a car.
    Having worked in an ER for many years, i can guarantee you will see too much of the down side to drinking there....

Ura-Ki, Lancer and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  10. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

If someone had explained it that way when I was young, I probably would have never taken my first drink. :D

Ura-Ki and DKR like this.
  11. ochit

ochit Monkey+

I'd rather be pickled than drowned.

Ura-Ki and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  12. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

IMG_0143.JPG
    20064181_2_600_446.

13. DKR

Speaking of booze...

[​IMG]

In this image provided by the Bardstown, Ky., Fire Department, debris is piled in a heap after a section of a bourbon storage warehouse at the Barton 1792 Distillery collapsed, Friday June 22, 2018, in Bardstown, Ky. Nelson County Emergency Management spokesman Milt Spalding says about 9,000 barrels filled with aging bourbon were affected.Chief Billy Mattingly

That's ton of $$$, quite literally, down the drain.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  14. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Never had a hangover :p dh finds that really anoying to.... exspecially when he has the mother of all.... but I drank twice as much....

Yard Dart and Ura-Ki like this.
  15. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Eat Mellon before and during a drinking excersize, keeps you hydrated, and the sugars help flush you out quicker, it's the mother of all drinking tricks for epic partying quantities! It's also a good trick to keep the after taste ( chemical burns) out of your mouth and throat! Finally, it helps settle the stomach after such an epic battle! Avoide high acidic content, lemon and lime and grapefruit will wreck your innards, consume berries, especially strawberries that are high in water, and your stomach will thank you!

16. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

IIRC an old Irish trick was to peel and eat a raw potato?

17. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

You don’t get hangovers if you stay drunk.
    A buddy told me one time,, he never sleeps, he just passes out , and comes to.

18. Witch Doctor 01

[beer]
    An Irish wake was held on site that night. The remaining wood and tin will also be recycled...

19. ochit

ochit Monkey+

All house brand booze is just a neutral spirit not aged and probably not double rectified so some phenol's ketones and methanol is carried over, all they are is flavored cheap ethanol alcohol, and they are not as good as most bonded stuff.

It's not only what you know but what you don't know that will kill you. Making "alcohol" the first % that comes over needs to be thrown out the amount is dependent on the total run. temperature is also important, the portion that contains methanol is produced at a lower temp than ethanol once that temp is reached your getting ethanol or drinking alcohol.

I am not going to tell people the information but know this if you do not cast off that portion your drinking poison the stuff that makes people go blind also certain metals and other equipment must be "proper" or again you will poison yourself , homemade liquor history has been riddled with dead people before scientific knowledge people knew from experience color smell and taste now we don't need to guess a thermometer and knowledge is your best defense from dying or worse a slow blind death.

20. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

"IF" I had my druthers, and I was making 'shine, I'd want to have access to a gas chromatograph, or preferably a GC/MS like the commercial distiller use. In another life I did field support for the things, and out of morbid curiosity we did run two, 1 L bottles of vodka. (Less cleanup needed for the clear booze). I think it was Flieshmans vs Grey Goose - @ $5 vs. $65+ per liter. Wish I had kept the reports, but the cheapo stuff was classified as hazardous waste under EPA rules for water discharged into a public waterway. It was an enviro testing lab so had that slant.

ochit likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7