Hurricane Irma, Limbaugh & Water

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Motomom34, Sep 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Unsure if people listen to Rush Limbaugh but pre-Irma, during the build up, he made some observations regarding water.

In context: What Rush Limbaugh said about Hurricane Irma

Yes, Rush pointed out that there was no need to go beat someone up at the local market over the last case of water because people had all the water that they needed, all they had to do is turn on the faucet. Kind of _______ that it takes a radio talk show host to point out the obvious. When doom is headed at people often they seem to get tunnel vision. The news was reporting on the bottled water shortage so many focused and thought, "I need some now".

One reporter summed it up nicely:
    .” What he did do is point to the hysteria that results in things like a run on bottled water when in fact, for all of that time involved, people had 100 percent access to, yes, clean water. Water in their own house coming from a kitchen or bathroom tap. All they had to do was fill up some bottles themselves and - presto- they have clean water to drink. Instead there is a mad rush to buy bottled water - a panic. This would seem like starkly obvious advice.
    Liberal Journalists Lash Out at Rush Limbaugh Over Hurricane

Starkly obvious advice, yes it was and I have been thinking it over and shake my head because what does that say about our country?

Homer Simpson, Dunerunner and Dont like this.
  2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

First hint of a storm I do the laundry, run the dishes and clean the tub because that is what you do. I know to fill the tub in case of emergencies but it just boggles my mind that people would forget the obvious. My Aunt mentioned how during flooding people wiped the bottled water shelves clean but no one thought to just set a bucket out and catch rain water. I do not know if a majority of societies in the world are so dependent and cannot think sensibly when doom is pending.

4. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Yep, used my five gallon jugs, a couple big pots, and a bunch of empty soda bottles, filled them here at home. Ditto on the tub.
    Had everything else on hand too. Food, batteries, etc.
    Being a 60 year old native Floridian, I learned storm preps as a kid. Dad was a native Floridian too.
    Common sense and education. Last thing I want to do is wade through a Wallymart full of crazed college kids and soccermoms literally fighting over items they should already have.

5. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

I fill up clean milk jugs with water I think tap water taste better any way

6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I listened to Rush when he talked about this, on his show... The folks that are criticizing him, apparently have never been in a REAL Disaster, where help was NOT available for 36-48 Hours... Bunch of SnowFlake Idiots... They had better stay in the cities, and hope the Bodegas don't run out of Twinkies & Bottled Water....

Gator 45/70, duane and sec_monkey like this.
  7. duane

duane Monkey+++

I am somewhat prepared, live in a semi rural area, have a single story house, etc, now if I lived on the 30 th floor of a high rise looking over the beach in Florida with a beautiful window wall, I might be a little nervous also. Some of the snow flakes have a reason to be worried, if anything happens, they will probably be dead in 48 hours, that would make me paranoid, but instead of trying to prepare, they want the world to change to their way. Hate to disappoint them, but it isn't going to happen.

Yard Dart and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

Can you seriously be considered within the Prepper World if you actually have to pay the Devil his due each September?
    Isn't being a Prepper all about being prepared for things that won't actually happen every year? ??????

9. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

You know, Those garbage cans will hold a lot of rain water for flushing the toilet.

Yard Dart and Seawolf1090 like this.
  10. duane

duane Monkey+++

Are you really helping out by flushing the toilet if the sewer system and the disposal plant are under water? When you flush it just doesn't magically disappear. That is one that I haven't been able to figure out yet. Hate the bucket and ashes, but do not think I would want to use my septic system if the leach field is under water. Might be time to look more into a composting system and a higher hill for my house, but that just increases the dangers from the wind. Life is a bi*** and then you die. Expect to find out someday if Chelloveck is right or I am, just not too soon Lord.

oldawg likes this.
  11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

The only time I've had trouble flushing the toilet was during Andrew, Private septic tank system, No plants involved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7