I am on a battery system for electrical power when the grid goes down.

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by arleigh, Apr 24, 2019.

1. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

But I also have air pressurized water tanks ( with a check valve) plumbed into the house plumbing for when the grid water is shut off.
    There have been a few repairs to the city system from time to time shut off water for the day.
    They have not effected me.

Living on the desert we had tanks in the upper loft of a shed above the house how will you supply water to the house post SHTF ?

tacmotusn likes this.
  2. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Gravity fed spring, 3,000gal of storage tanks, excess flows into fish ponds.....same as the last 35 years.

3M-TA3, oldman11 and tacmotusn like this.
  3. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Simple Pump ...... company name. I have both the strictly manual version, and also can take the manual lever assembly off and put 12 vdc gear pump in it's place. Having solar array and 12 vdc battery bank would be a nice touch as well but do not have yet.

arleigh and oldman11 like this.
  4. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

Either change to gravity feed or have extra 12 volt pumps. Batteries don't last forever. Think about how they did stuff in the 1880s

5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Well...

It's a work in progress.

6. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Ya we used intestines as condoms
    ;)
    S

Tempstar likes this.
  7. duane

duane Monkey+++

Bit the bullet 15 years ago and got a cast iron pump with the cylinder down in the water for my shallow well. Use it most of the time for my greenhouse water, deep well has a lot of minerals in the water, easy to pump, drains back through weep hole so it never freezes, have a set of spare leathers for it, but so far in 15 years haven't needed them. Picked it up in Amish country from a wind mill company. If I had to do it over I would get a brass lower unit, get some rust now when I start pumping after it sets for a few weeks in the winter, and I would get the model with the ability to use a hose to pump the water into the greenhouse rather than just being able to use a bucket. Used to call them Baker Monitor, or Amish pumps. Lot of new hand pumps out there, just never got into them. I don't like the Chinese knock offs. They are about 3 times as much as I paid 15 years ago, by the time you get the pump head, cylinder, pump rod, well pipe, etc, it would run $1,000 for the cheapest and close to $2,000 for the best. Don't know about prices etc, but I enjoy looking at Water Well Pumps and Supplies - Dean Bennett Supply
    and at Aermotor Windmill Company - Wind-Powered Water Pumps
    and while I am sure it will work well, I just can't get into the more modern www.simplepump.com

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

My greater concern is dealing with fire in which case gravity fed is not that aggressive . Pressurize water however has a greater impact on putting fire out.
    Though one does their best to prevent fire it is not one's own fire that is of concern , as in the case of a neighbor's place jeopardizing yours , or a forest fire making an approach even though you may have done your fire prevention wind and fire are common. Post some disaster that city water pressure is gone so is the fire department.

oldman11 likes this.
  9. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

You're really old!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7