I bought an Airbow & what I learned so far

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by GOG, Aug 1, 2021.

1. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

I stumbled across airbows recently and after rolling the idea around for a while decided to go for it.
    There's a definite learning curve especially for someone whose experience ended with Red Ryder.

There's a surprising variety just as other firearms. More power equals more dollars. I also found that the arrows and accessories for the higher dollar models cost more as well.

These things will definitely take game and there's much anecdotal evidence that they work. But more capability costs more bucks.

I bought a Umarex Air Javelin that's capable of launching an arrow at approximately 330fps.
    It's an entry level model, but it gets great reviews. I posted a screenshot of the Umarex page

I don't know how truly useful it will prove to be but another alternative weapon can't hurt.
    I just ordered it so I'll check back in after some evaluation.

0003388_umarex-airjavelin-co2-powered-air-archery-airgun-rifle.jpeg.

Screenshot_20210801-153927_Samsung Internet.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    Dunerunner and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Is it quiet?
    Picked up a used Barnet Cross Bow a few years ago, that sucker is NASTY, and super quiet, about the same FPS as your air bow lists!

Dunerunner and Gator 45/70 like this.
  3. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

No, it definitely isn't silent, it's not terrible but you can hear it. There's a bunch a videos on youtube.

Dunerunner, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  4. Dannyboy53

Dannyboy53 Monkey

Sounds like a great deal, can hardly wait for a range report. The wife bought a Barnett crossbow a few years ago primarily for SHTF use since it's much quieter at taking game.

5. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

I would have preferred the Air Saber, which gets up to 450fps., but it's $200. more, the arrows cost more and it's a pcp system which uses a compressor. So while the Co2 cartridges are expendable, you can buy an awful lot of them for the cost of a compressor.
    (I don't know if it's a specific type of compressor or not.)

Dunerunner, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

I have one also love mine I put a 125 grain field point on it and it shoots it really good.

7. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Oh don’t shoot at the same spot when you get it sited in you will run through arrows pretty fast

8. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

9. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Thanks @Bishop, that's awesome!

10. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

No problem I think about 30 shots or more I keep forgetting to count them when I start shooting

11. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Cool ,, I've been looking at a few PCP airguns,, them things are throwing 50 cal slugs a half mile, but its taking a good bit of elevation,, but still impressive,, to me. But I'm looking more towards the 30 cal range.

Altoidfishfins, Dunerunner and GOG like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7