I fired a High Point 9mm today.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Gray Wolf, Nov 8, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

To be absolutely fair, I am trying to get some facts out there, not advert for any company. I don't feel your reply is "smart" in any way. If someone's product is garbage, I'll call it like I see it.

I said, I believe several times, that handgun choice is personal, and YMMV. Your belief, in your words to the bottom of your pea picken heart, that your choice was right - is right for you. However, other people may not have smaller hands, or be interested in the facts about a gun from an actual owner/operator. That is all I gave. Firearm choice is personal and YMMV with any weapon you buy, from a $1300.00 pistol all the way down to a $200.00 rifle.

In my posts, I wanted to take the opportunity to dispel any preconceived notions, or second hand information, in favor of personal, direct experience.

Again, I don't care if 500 people who work with/around guns all day every day tell me "That so-and-so is garbage". I'll politely thank them for their opinion and find out the facts for myself. That is just me. I'm stubborn that way.

Homer Simpson likes this.
  2. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

I do not fault you for that, I like things up front and out in the open. I mean I paid 100 bucks apiece for my old ak-47's, then my brother sold them behind my back.............but they were good guns. I too have had good luck with "cheaper" guns.........So it is what it is.

3. Falcon15

I've had that same experience, with cheaper guns being good weapons. However, if one of my brothers sold one of my weapons, the family would be short a brother. :mad: Cheaper guns $ wise are not always the worst to have, agreed.

4. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

So, how doe sone modify 1911 mags to fit the Hi Point? The link didn't lead to modification instructions.

jim

5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Just after a quick comparison between the two magazines, I can only surmise that a person *could* make the locking notch (don't know the term for it) in the side of the 1911 mag match the hipoint mag, as the two magazines appear to be identical otherwise...also along the base you might have to make a minor adjustment where the plastic meets the magazine since there is a small lip on the 1911 magazine. But, all I did was compare a hipoint 9mm magazine to a .45 1911 magazine and took into consideration the width difference, but since both mags would be .45, I can see how it *could* be done. Take a set of calipers and test it out.

6. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

7. Falcon15

Yeah, I watched this video. These guys SERIOUSLY tested the High Points. Made me LOL a couple of times and cringe at others.

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

For all that didn't want to wade thru the YouTube reloads, they conclude that HiPoint is a satisfactory pistol for the purposes intended: i.e, close range defensive work.

9. RKBA2USA

RKBA2USA Monkey+

I have both a HP C9 pistol and a 995 carbine. I enjoy shooting them both and have defended my ownership of them on numerous occasions. Yeah, there are prettier guns out there. But then again, I'm always attracted to the offbeat but practical. As long as they go bang! every time with a fair amount of accuracy they are doing what they were designed to do. The C9 is a bit too clunky for concealed carry (at least for me) but is fun at the range. It's easy to shoot either one well - I guess that's what also makes them great for teaching firearms basics to folks just starting out.
    The one thing that did disappoint me is that the magazines are not interchangeable from pistol to carbine. I'm sure that Hi-Point had a good reason for that - I just wish they'd found a work-around.

"Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul."
    - Mark Twain

10. Will-IB-Ready

Will-IB-Ready Monkey+

I was watching Cops the other night and some fool had his HiPoint 9mm malfunction while he was being chased.

Not that it condemns the whole product line, just thought it was funny.

11. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS HOLY THEY ARE CALL MAGAZINES, MAGAZINES !!! Not CLIPS !!!!! Two totally different things !!!;):eek:

12. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

To update this a little, I put several hundred rounds through a 40 cal Hi point.It was reliable, and what surprised me, it was really accurate! At ten yards, it was trying to put all the bullets in the same hole! The same accuracy I expect out of pistols that cost several hundred dollars more. It is too heavy and bulky to ever be good for concealed carry, but for home defense, or in a vehicle, it will do the job at a fraction of the cost.

I saw an article in The Blue Press about a handgun drill to try. At 5 yards put 5 shots into a 5" circle in 5 seconds, 5 times in a row without any outside the circle. Easy with my 9, or my .357. Next time I get my hands on a Hi-point, I'm going to take that challenge with it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2017
  13. Homer Simpson

Homer Simpson Monkey+++

I am going to have to echo what Falcon15 has said. I have had a 995 since 1999 (yep the planet of the apes stock) literally thousands and thousands of rounds down the pipe with no problems. The ONLY problem I had was with filthy wolf ammo. a quick spray and swab out and we were back in business. All other ammo has run flawlessly, RN, JHP, 115, 124, 147, cast lead hand loads, never a problem.

The HP warranty is without exception! I misplaced the iron sights after putting a scope on for a while. I called HP fully expecting to pay a reasonable price for replacements. The nice lady asked for the serial number, then my name and address, and said I should have my parts in about 5 working days, they were in my mailbox exactly 5 days later. Can't beat that for something I lost, not broke.

I have come to the conclusion, 99.9% of HP detractors have never held one, much less fired one.

I have no problem staking my life on a HP, it is much more reliable then other guns I have spent much more on. It is accurate to 100 yards, and goes bang every time, what else do you want? I'll leave the "prestige" to all the self important arrogant gun snobs, meanwhile there is some paper that needs holes punched in it.

Yard Dart and oldawg like this.
  14. Lone Gunman

Lone Gunman Draw Varmint!

No, they're not — Honestly, they're not. I grew up in the 1950's and 60's. Several of my uncles were United States Marines; and every one of them was a significantly scarred and battle-hardened veteran of the ferocious battles that were fought in both the South Pacific, and later on in Korea.

EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE MEN REFERRED TO 1911 'CLIPS' — 'CLIPS' — RATHER THAN CALLING THOSE THINGS, 'MAGAZINES'.

I can also say, with every confidence, that until the late 1980's I never heard any other expression except the word, 'clip' used to refer to 1911's. Then, ....... along came the internet and the pedantic cowboys who like to hang around internet gun forums!

These guys just seemed to love pointing out the technical and mechanical differences between clips, and magazines; and the tendency for these, 'internet gun forum cowboys' to be derisive and immediately correct anyone who would dare to use the word, 'clip' rather than, 'magazine' in his Browning P-35, or 1911 has now become absolutely epidemic — Epidemic! (This nonsense has spread like, 'avian bird flu'; and all the kids seem to have picked up on it.)

Still, gunmen like myself and my heroic, real world, Marine Corps uncles continue to use the term, 'clip' (at least) most of the time whenever we referred to what are presently more popularly known as, 'pistol magazines'; and, believe me, none of us are (or were) the kind of gunmen that anyone would dare to correct face-to-face!

So, the question becomes: 'Is the current terminology right, or wrong;' or should I say: 'Is the current terminology correct, or incorrect?'

According to the NRA/ILA (the people who present this information to courts and juries) it is both historically accurate and technically correct to refer to any pistol magazine as a clip; and any pistol clip as a magazine — This has been going on in America for almost a hundred years longer than these internet gun forum pedants have been so scrupulously, and so tirelessly pointing out the different technical minutia among actual: 'stripper clips', 'M1 Garand clips', and 'M16/AR15 stripper clips', and the, 'M16/AR15 box magazines' into which these stripper clips can be inserted.

THE POINT IS, (TO USE A NOW INFAMOUS QUOTE) 'WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE!' MY OWN ANSWER IS, 'ABSOLUTELY NONE — NONE!'

Listen, this is a lot of, 'techno-crap' for someone who's busy fighting for his life to have to deal with! If time is of the essence, and I'm out of ammo, and I need to reload, it's far quicker and easier for me to shout, 'Give me another clip!' than it is to say, 'Give me another magazine!' For all practical intents and purposes,

IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT THESE THINGS ARE CALLED. IF YOU'RE FAMILIAR WITH GUNS THEN YOU WILL IMMEDIATELY KNOW WHAT IS BEING EITHER REFERRED TO, OR ASKED FOR.

Here's the NRA/ILA's official explanation:

'Clip: A device for holding a group of cartridges. Semantic wars have been fought over the word, with some insisting it is not a synonym for, "detachable magazine." For 80 years, however, it has been so used by both manufacturers and the military as such.'

'There is no argument that it can also mean a separate device for holding and transferring a group of cartridges to a fixed or detachable magazine, or as a device inserted with cartridges into the mechanism of a firearm becoming, in effect, part of that mechanism.' — (NRA-ILA Glossary Of Firearm Terms)

'Magazine: A spring-loaded container for cartridges that may be an integral part of the gun`s mechanism or may be detachable. Detachable magazines for the same gun may be offered by the gun`s manufacturer or other manufacturers with various capacities. A gun with a five-shot detachable magazine, for instance, may be fitted with a magazine holding 10, 20, or 50 or more rounds.'

'Box magazines are most commonly located under the receiver with the cartridges stacked vertically. Tube or tubular magazines run through the stock or under the barrel with the cartridges lying horizontally. Drum magazines hold their cartridges in a circular mode. A magazine can also mean a secure storage place for ammunition or explosives.' — (NRA-ILA Glossary Of Firearm Terms)

Now I suggest that we should, all, give this topic a rest. Better men — BETTER WARRIORS — than either you, or I have spent their entire lives calling magazines 'clips', and clips, 'magazines'. So, who are any of these, 'Johnny Come Lately' internet gun forum wise guys to say otherwise, and attempt to correct others as often as they do!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  15. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

Do and believe as YOU wish. It is certainly your prerogative. I would add that my education and training most certainly predates the internet.

16. Lone Gunman

Well, quite frankly, it's been more than a year, now, since I've been to our local public gun range; and that's about the only place I might expect to see any sort of Hi-Point pistol, or carbine. (For whatever reason(s) they just don't seem to show up at the private gun clubs.) So, if any significant improvements have been made during the past 12 months, or so, I'm not aware of them.

In fact I don't know when — if ever — I'm going to return to shooting at any public range. Why? Because our county's public range is very close to the state line with New York and New Jersey. The place is almost completely unsupervised; there are no cameras; and it never ceases to amaze me who is going to either be there, or show up while I'm shooting.

(I tend to practice hard; and I tend to practice alone; and this is definitely the way I prefer to spend my own range time. While I do meet people I know; I don't go to the range to socialize. Which isn't always a safe thing for me to do because you should see some of the people who show up at our public range: It's really difficult to have to watch the target in front of you, and your back all at the same time!)

With this being understood I can only offer what my own experience has been with these firearms: In, something like, 7 or 8 years of watching people use Hi-Point firearms I have, yet, to see a single one of them fire for as long as 30 consecutive minutes without having the gun jam and, sometimes, horribly so — Not a single one!

My opinion of Hi-Point guns is that for use at the range they're both highly affordable and (I guess) OK to use; but, ....... as self-defense weapons? Never, absolutely never!

Sure, I've seen some pretty sexy, tricked out, Hi-Point guns at the gun shows, lately; but every time I look at one of these things I get this ineffable feeling that I'm caught up in some sort of, 'firearms twilight zone' where the real, and the surrealistic all, kind 'a, blend together and reality becomes distorted. It's hard for me to tell whether I'm looking at some sort of, 'toy for high school boys'; an interactive video program, 'primary shooter's weapon'; or the next, 'latest and great gun craze' that's about to hit the big city ghettos?

Maybe tomorrow I'll know the answer to exactly, 'What' a Hi-Point firearm is; but, as of today, I couldn't definitely say whether or not a Hi-Point is (1) a genuine weapon; (2) a nifty, Cerakote-camouflaged, range toy; or (3) a crappy piece of, 'gun junk' that only a fool would actually attempt to trust his life to? I just don't know; and my best guess is that only time will tell. In the meantime I'll stay with my considerably more expensive: Colt 1911's, Glocks, and (AR15) M-Forgeries.

17. Lone Gunman

OK, then YOU should know better but, apparently, don't.

18. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

The silly clip/magazine debate also predates the intrawebz. Yes, they are technically two different things...but in practice nobody who isn't anally retentive really cares or makes an issue of it. Kinda like football and soccer...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    Lone Gunman, Motomom34 and oldawg like this.
  19. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@chimo :5s: My Uncle is a Vietnam vet, was shot over there and calls it a clip. Always has, always will be bottom-line is we all know what he is talking about when he says clip.

20. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

whatever I take off your body, I want to know how to work it. I don't think being a gun snob is a very helpful thing. Poor people have a right to defend themselves too.
    Do I have favorites? Sure. If I owned any guns they might be some good ones :)
    I know what you mean when you call a magazine a clip. Doesn't make it the right word.

1. 3M-TA3
  2. Matei
  3. Yard Dart
  4. Yard Dart
  5. hot diggity
  6. Oddcaliber
  7. Dont
  8. oil pan 4
  9. Oddcaliber
  10. Yard Dart
  11. Marvin L. Steinhagen