I left my carry gun on my desk.

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Thunder5Ranch, May 18, 2018.

1. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

This morning was typical morning other than the big storm that blew through last night and took a tree limb the size of a good size tree out. So I grabbed my coffee cup and camera and went out to take a couple of pictures of the tree and how lucky I got. It missed the wifes truck by 2 feet, a tractor by 3 inches and a building by about 12 inches. Got that feeling, the one where the hairs on the back of your neck stand up and tells you that something is stalking you.

Something was stalking me. Three very large coyotes, the biggest one was just standing there staring at me with zero fear, the other two were circling around me. Typically Coyotes would not act this way and avoid a human at all cost. But their population has exploded and the competition for food is causing them to be a lot braver than what is normal. Had the camera open so grabbed few pictures of them in action and then reached for my sidearm. Only problem being I left it hanging on the peg above my desk. And didn't take my Coyote destroyer dogs out with me this time. The two smaller ones circling me are thankfully still skittish and cowards and booked it out of here and over a fence, when I yelled and threw a few sticks in their direction. The big though just stood there side to me staring at me and after a few minutes turned and followed the other two over the fence. No doubt in my mind I am going to meet these three again sooner rather than later. And the Dogs and Gun won't be inside the next time. I am guessing it is these three that have been picking hogs and chickens off of late. Most of the Coyote population does not come any closer to the house and livestock buildings than the hayfield which a good distance away. When they get brave enough to stalk a human or drag a 100 pound gilt out of a hog shed, they are going to have to be dealt with.

Now maybe someone can explain to me why I don't need guns to protect my livestock and my self it would seem, in a way that makes any kind of sense. If I had been charged from 3 sides and unarmed I would have been in deep poop. And I never leave the pack piece on the peg when I go out............ except this morning.. Stupid stupid stupid! That one in the first picture blows my mind and that ain't a I want to be your friend look he is giving me. The one in the 3rd picture is not as brave and can see he is not so sure about this human for breakfast idea. one in the second pic who knows I only got his back side as he was circling around behind me.

DSC00196.JPG DSC00197.JPG DSC00198.JPG

Zimmy, Mountainman, Yard Dart and 9 others like this.
  2. Borrego

Borrego Monkey

The people that want to take our guns away live in 'safe' cities with no wild animals and police just a moment away. They have no clue that there is any danger in the world. I, like you, live where there is no guarantee of safety and being armed should be not only possible but probably mandatory. Wild animals are reason enough, but imagine if that had been 3 bad guys with knives or clubs....

Ura-Ki, Gator 45/70, Lancer and 4 others like this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

When Seconds count, the police are "At Best" minutes away....

Ura-Ki, Gator 45/70, ochit and 6 others like this.
  4. Out in the woods

Out in the woods off-grid in-the-forest beekeeper

Thankfully you were not injured.

You were not 'aware' of the danger, which is common. And once you became aware, you were able to challenge them and chase them away.

I would be concerned about others in your county, who might be focusing on their own daily tasks [hanging laundry or mowing grass], who might get attacked. I should tell someone local to get the word out, Is there a nearby general store, diner or church even? Any way to get your neighbors to be more aware of when coyotes are snooping around?

When I have called our Sheriff's office they are able to get a patrolman here the next day to take a report of what happened.

3cyl, Ura-Ki, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  5. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

We have had a wolf pack attack on the local Air Base.

The PTB answer - No guns for you!

6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

A friend of mine I know shot a coyote dead with a 9mm, 3 of them were stalking her and her daughter at the school bus stop one morning a few years ago. Her little girl would have been 8 or 9 at the time.
    I tried to fight 3 wild dogs with a fixed blade knife back in 2009. They ran with their tails between their legs when I came at them. Too bad, I had just gotten back from Afghanistan and fightng 3 dogs with a knife probably would have provided much needed "therapy".

Garand69, Yard Dart, Ura-Ki and 6 others like this.
  7. ochit

ochit Monkey+

yea children are tasty to predators more than a few have been attacked by pumas in Cali, a few here have been killed by deer in rut. and numerous domestic dog attacks all this in what we would call a civilized world.

8. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

That first one was considering what sort of cuts he would get off your carcass. I've seen that expression before...
    As you noted, I never go far unarmed. Between the coyotes, and feral hogs, I'm reasonably certain I'd be out numbered.

ochit, Ura-Ki, tacmotusn and 2 others like this.
  9. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

I had two big nasty dogs circling me and growling at the mailbox and I had no weapon of any kind. I tried yelling at them to "go home" Lucky the wife heard me and came out with a shovel. They looked at my wife and ran! We have some hungry Mountain lions that keep coming into town for meals (dogs and cats) Its a good idea to be armed!

Ganado, ochit, Ura-Ki and 3 others like this.
  10. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

I was actually very impressed with how coordinated they were. Going to dig out the dying rabbit recordings and thin the packs down a bit in the coming days. Came in and showed my wife the pictures and told her what happened and she was LIKE OMFG me and the two rat terries were out there just a half hour ago. Cough and unlike me she had her piece with her and truth be told is a better shot than me all the way round.

oldawg, Ura-Ki, tacmotusn and 2 others like this.
  11. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

When I was 16 years old, one of our neighbors had their little girl taken by a Cougar and eaten, this was in a very rural area several miles out side of town. The Sheriffs office and Ranger district office got a massive possy going to go try to find the girl and if possibly that cat! Being a 16 year old with hunting experience, I was volintold to go help, along with my two older cousins, and we spent three days and nights hunting that big cat. I spotted a cat over 800 yards away, no idea if it was THE cat we were after, but I took a knee and drew a bead on that sucker and put a 180 gr softpoint through its heart! We sent my oldest cousin back to fetch the sheriff who came right out with several other men to examine this cat. Turns out it wasn't the cat we were looking for, but it showed problems that indicated it may have also been a threat to people later! Oregon had outlawed cougar, bear and wolf hunting with dogs, and the populations exploded ( except the wolves), and these cats were YUGE! The one I took was a good 200 pounder, big as a Great Dane, and no one shed a tear at its passing! They never found the suspect cat, but did find the little girls remains a few days into the hunt, very very sad!
    There is currently still a very large Grizzly living in my lower pasture and eating my berries, he has been there for 4 years that we know for sure, and he doesn't range very far out side my ranch, which makes every one else happy, but, rule number 1, never go outside with out a 12 gauge loaded with slugs, and or a rifle with 200 gr soft points, not to mention the standard 10 MM pistol!!! I don't wanna end up bear poop from getting fire wood or checking the lower irrigation pond and dam!
    These snow flakes in the civilised world have no idea the dangers out in the wild, man Is not the ultimate predator, and the need to carry is not something I ever take lightly or will be willing to give up or negotiate away for feel good feelings!

12. ochit

ochit Monkey+

If you see me and I am not armed I'm naked ... well that's is not absolutely true, I have walked to my mail box with only a gunbelt and a pair of flip flops if I had to, I could have shifted the holster to use as a cod piece.

13. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I looked at a piece of property a couple of years ago that was rather remote. I asked the old man selling the place what was in the woods in the AO. He smiled and said their was a bunch of big mountain lions out there.....never go into the woods without adequate protection son ;)

3M-TA3, ochit, Ura-Ki and 1 other person like this.
  14. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

What really boggles my mind, with all the hot springs in my A.O. and all the "natural" nature folk that hike around in nothing but hiking shoes or boots, they see me with a rifle on a sling and pistol(s) on my hip and they give me the stink eye, like how dare you walk around in our woods armed and up to no Good! These same nekid people are the ones getting snake bit or mauled by our local predators, and we have a bunch of them, we have a good size pack of Wolves ( at last sighting I couted 9) at least 2 Grizzly's and possably cubs now, and tons of Coyoties, and many cougar. We also have many Raptors that can get uppty if your close to a nest of chicks, and a metric chit ton of Rattelin sneks! I always laugh at these nekid idiots, knowing full well I'll likely get a call from the seach and rescue folks to go find some dumbass nekid idiot what got them selves bit or mauled, or fell off the trail and banged up good! Never fails, despite the warnings and the signs and folks like me they run into on the upper trails!
    I scared the chit out of a large group last summer, I waited just around the corner and watched them as the decided to stop and have a snack, I fired a shot up the canyon and started yelling BEAR, RUN! Then came running down the trail right past them and disappeared off the trail into the rocks to watch the show, bunch of floppy flesh bouncing all around all the way to the parking area! I laughed so hard, I almost puked! Too funny, wish I had borrowed a video camera!!!

Cruisin Sloth, 3M-TA3, ochit and 2 others like this.
  15. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Weeeellllll, there's a picture we didn't need in our minds. :D

Cruisin Sloth, 3M-TA3, ochit and 2 others like this.
  16. ochit

ochit Monkey+

not all things that happen are of natural causes.

[​IMG]

17. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Where the frigg do you live ??
    I know , Mine are .8 hr
    S

Lancer and Mountainman like this.
  18. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Always carry when we go out of the house since we have wolves (also possible two legged varmints) and everything else down the line around here. Have never had a coyote that brave around here, but arrogance like that would not last long. [gun]

19. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

yawn.

Yard Dart and ghrit like this.
  20. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Never had one that brave here before, let alone three LOL. They are getting seriously over populated around here, I suspect the competition for food and territory has a lot to do with the new found bravery.

Mountainman likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7