I want a new rifle, help me decide...

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Tempstar, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Here goes: I have an Armalite AR-10 but the bull barrel makes it a bench rifle and not a battle rifle. Because of materials on hand and reloading equipment I already have, plus other rifles in the caliber, it will need to be 7.62x51. It will also need to be semi-auto, magazine fed, and with a 16" or 18" standard barrel. It also needs to be inexpensive as possible for it's upcoming life as a truck gun. Thoughts everyone?

oldman11, sec_monkey, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  2. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

GOG, oldman11, Yard Dart and 2 others like this.
  3. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

How about a second upper for your AR-10. You might need to verify for a fact that another brand/manufacturers upper will indeed fit. PSA has 18" complete uppers at $399.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  4. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I wrestled with that option, but I know the new family member will get the crap beat out of it so I don't want to do that too my Armalite lower. Plus, I hate to mess with a great shooter.

oldman11 and sec_monkey like this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

What he said^^^Tac that is.

oldman11, Tully Mars and sec_monkey like this.
  6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Build a new AR10 Lower, and buy a completed Upper to fit... The accuracy is in the upper...

7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Well Hell Order you a complete build from PSA,No reason you can't do this for 700.00 or less if you watch the daily deals.

oldman11, Tully Mars and sec_monkey like this.
  8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Normally a CETME based rifle would be an awesome truck gun, especially with $5 mags! Problem is, RELOADING for it, these chew brass like no other, costing you a lot of your otherwise usable brass!
    So, today I say build a complete AR-10 based rifle in the exact spec you want! Probably the best bet today with the current prices and availability! This may change soon, so if you can decide soon, this would be the time to do it!

9. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

3M-TA3, Bandit99, snake6264 and 9 others like this.
  10. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

3M-TA3, sec_monkey, snake6264 and 3 others like this.
  11. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Gator 45/70, sec_monkey and Ura-Ki like this.
  12. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

What I like about them is you can "upgrade" mix and match with HK G-3s and really have an awesome rifle! Plus, they have the rail and the improved ejection pattern so your not throwing brass 1/2 mile to the right! Add a set of upgraded tool steel rollers to the bolt and its almost as bomb proof as the FN!

13. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Buyer beware, some parts do not interchange with HK 91 parts, the "battle" flipper mag release is a real biatich to install on this rifle and expensive to do, the recoil spring assembly is different and the front hand guard is not heat resistant aka will melt. After market front hand guards are excellent.

As a Truck gun it would be great, forget the scope!

If you can wait till they get close just use it as a club, it'll still shoot after that too.

Be sure and wash all parts and lube properly before firing. This means the bolt and firing pin for sure as well as the bolt and guides..

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  14. HK_User

If you can adapt a HK 91 brass bumper you can easily get 3 o 5 reloads.

Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  15. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I'm partial to the FAL platform. It's more expensive to get into nowadays, but with my build I find it fits well with the longer South African butt stock. Tough, common sense design, and with a .22 conversion I can train with it on the cheap.

16. hot diggity

I wouldn't worry about the CETME brass. You probably won't be able to find it anyway. Most will pitch it 30 feet to the right and 20 feet forward of the line. Makes nice weight for the scrap brass bucket.

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  17. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

FAL guy me self, no need for any fookin around, grab and go!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Whats the deal with fired HK brass,Is this the brass I see that looks like it was fired in a fluted chamber?

VisuTrac and Ura-Ki like this.
  19. hot diggity

Brass fired in fluted chambers wouldn't be a big deal if it wasn't for the violence of the extraction and ejection.
    You could clean up the filthy brass and size out any deformities the fluting may cause. Not so easy to fix the case rim where the extractor yanked it so hard it'll no longer fit in a shell holder, and the big dents in the neck and shoulders from slamming into the edge of the ejection port on the way out.

FAL drops brass on the bench right next to me....or 30 ' away, depending on the gas setting. :)

Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and 3M-TA3 like this.
  20. HK_User

If you can adapt a HK 91 brass bumper you can easily get 3 o 5 reloads.
    No dents.

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7