I work so hard to save power

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by BenP, Oct 17, 2018.

1. BenP

BenP Monkey++

I disabled my refrigerator defroster, installed all LED DC lighting, heat pump water heater, propane stove, and today I come home to this in the living room. :)
    IMG_20181017_175956.

Ganado, Mindy Sue, GrayGhost and 11 others like this.
  2. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Chicken Nuggets on slow cook,,,,[lolol]

Alf60, squiddley, GrayGhost and 9 others like this.
  3. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Just make a nest where they can snuggle up to the cat for warmth...:whistle:

oldawg, BenP, Motomom34 and 7 others like this.
  4. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

One trick I read about is to get a chest-type freezer, and set it to refrigerator temperature.

When you open the door, the cold air doesn't fall out, and you wind up using about 1/10 the electricity of a standard refrigerator.

Of course, it would eat up a lot of floor space...

5. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

cute little clucks... Glad they are yours! [winkthumb]

oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. BenP

BenP Monkey++

Did I mention she was also running the air conditioner and the wood stove at the same time. :)

I eventually bought more batteries, installed more panels and hooked the defroster back up. The freezer quit freezing after a few months.

Motomom34 likes this.
  7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Do you have a coop or barn to put them in?

8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Would a heated reptile rock work?
    Most of them draw 40w, have a thermostat and don't draw power all the time. So they draw 1/5 the power when on. Worst case scenario the heated rock draws 1\8 the power of a heat lamp.

9. BenP

BenP Monkey++

Yes, we have a big wire cage in the barn for them but it has chickens in it and I think she is afraid they will get in with these...actually I think she just wants them in the house and is using that as an excuse. :)

10. BenP

BenP Monkey++

I pushed them over next to the wood stove last night and they were nice and toasty without the light.

11. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Mine got nothing but a 40 watt incandescent light bulb and they fared very well. an older incandescent automotive 12 volt bulb will function as well, so you don't have to use AC power .
    In natural life a laying hen does not put out that much heat.

BenP likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7