Idea for turning my machete into a sword...

Discussion in 'Blades' started by AxesAreBetter, Jul 14, 2017.

1. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

So, I have a 22" Ontario machete. It's just right for my AO, except for one detail. I don't really like the balance point. Normally this would be a small issue, but it is the only thing I don't like about it.
    I've also been wanting a "SHTF sword", so I can put what amount to my training into practice if I need to.
    So after a couple of weeks of mulling it over, I think I have a practical solution.

What I am thinking is that I can cut the scales off, and replace them with a layered set, of 16 gauge plate under wooden scales. That should be enough to lower the point of balance to somewhere nearer the handle, and if I cut the plates a hair long I can bend them out into a rough guard over the back of my hand, kinda like a messer.

Now, I'm not the greatest mechanic with the most experience in these matters, but I do have a fancy new jigsaw I can much more easily rough all this out with. Am i missing anything?

chelloveck likes this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Do I read it right that you think it's blade heavy? If so, that is the way it should be. With machetes, the weight should be concentrated forward to assist with the impact while cutting, like an ax head. Sword fighting is different proposition entirely. No, a machete is not a suitable tool for fighting (works well for beheading the loser--) but your approach may improve the balance for thrust and parry, and add weight for muscle building. Doing that modification may not serve you well in an actual duel.

AxesAreBetter likes this.
  3. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I understand. But if I am going to carry the tool, i would like to improve my chances. I actually like tip heavy swords, but this is a little too extreme for my liking. And it is giving me some control issues with the cutting tasks I have been undertaking...if it brings it back to where it is on the 18" version, I will be happy. Too far in the handle, and I'll have to try something else, maybe cut the plates in half? But playing with it to get it just right is half the fun. Haha.

4. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Got them in the shop right now. Not the kind of sword I know how to use, and the 1055 just does not hold up to the trees in my AO as well as the 1095 does. The kukris are not bad, had some when I was younger. Throw good, like a hawk.

GOG likes this.
  5. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

Well since this is not going to be changing anything but the grips, and you can always change back if you don't like it, way not?

GOG and AxesAreBetter like this.
  6. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Any thoughts for getting the grip off in one piece?

7. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

How are grip attached? Drill out rivets? Cut along side of blade top to bottom? Back to front? That will thin the grips, but you can always add light weight filler material and bolt/rivet back on.

GOG likes this.
  8. ghrit

Yeah, they are riveted. Drill 'em out, starting small and sneaking up on full sized drill. Go easy, you'll be into the tang steel before you know it, and there will still be rivet material in the scales. Where you'll probably hit a glitch is when you discover that the scales are also epoxied. I have a sneaking suspicion that you'll be better off building a sword from scratch.

Good luck.

GOG likes this.
  9. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

That is the machete, yes.

10. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I think that the nearest sword type to what you seem to be indicating that you want is a Falchion.

It has a broad blade with a somewhat pointy tip. Falchion - Wikipedia

[​IMG]

As with all sword configurations, this and similar designs have their trade offs that limit its usefulness for particular sword fighting styles, and other non-sword fighting utility uses. The shape seems more useful for cutting and slashing rather than thrusting style fencing.

11. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Plenty good battle-ready swords available. Get something designed for your needs.

chelloveck and ghrit like this.
  12. ghrit

And remember as well that multipurpose tools don't do all the purposes well.

13. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Nice one Chell. (y)

chelloveck likes this.
  14. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Sword fighting swords are a very different animal from a machete .
    A cutlas is a good short fighting sword ,not so much for thrusting as for hacking .
    Good ones have a guard and full tang, cheap ones have a rat tail tang , (wall hanger)
    If your processing brush the guard is handy especially if your getting into the thick of it. Like any thing else it takes practice.
    As for sword fighting , Get training. start with fencing , it's a blast , especially of you have some one to spar with.
    The investment is minimal ,foil, mask and glove , the rest can be improvised .Park and recreation usually have a program if there are enough people to participate.
    It's my son and my favorite thing.

GOG, chelloveck and AxesAreBetter like this.
  15. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I actually have years of training using European sword fighting methods...I also have a handmade cutlass (Will King makes a fine piece of steel) and a Cold Steel Grosse Messer I am training longsword with. I also studied ancient and Civil War warfare back when I had aspirations at a Doctorate...I'm honestly trying to make my machete a little easier to handle, and to bring it more in line with the fighting muscle memory I have trained in in case it is what I have with me when things go south.
    Appreciate all the warnings though.

chelloveck likes this.
  16. birchtree

birchtree Monkey

Kinda basic idea but I'm waiting for the execution of that idea.

17. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

It's more fun if you've got some one to play with .

18. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Been busy. I'm fairly convinced that work is hell.

19. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

@AxesAreBetter, consider looking at a cutlass. I believe the machete evolved from that.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7