1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

iDen direct connect phones

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by stg58, Jun 21, 2013.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

The link below was posted on the chat window.
    I picked up 2 for $29.99 shipped and they arrived in great shape with original protective plastic. They programmed fine for direct connect the only odd thing is one calls it MotoTalk the other DirectTalk.
    "the i560 meets tough US Mil Specs for dust, shock, vibration, high and low temperature, low pressure and solar radiation."
    I forget who posted the link but Thanks!

2 Motorola i560 Black Nextel Rugged Cell Phone Direct Talk 2 Way PTT Bundle | eBay

They also sell an extended battery door for the Motorola i560 and Extended Battery (OEM Motorola NNTN4655B) This Battery is 1450 mAh Lithium Ion.

With HTs a bit more battery power is nice.

Motorola i560 Extended Battery Door and Battery NNTN4655 Used | eBay
    AmericanRedoubt1776 and Brokor like this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator

I believe that was @kellory who posted the link....
  3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

My pleasure.;)
    stg58 likes this.
  4. stg58

Thank You!
  5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

One of the better sales on Ebay. The seller is honest, offers great shipping for free, and doesn't gouge the pricing. I ordered a single iDen from him, nothing to report except goodness. The full package deal makes it worthwhile --usually one has to purchase all the components separately, sometimes ordering through several sellers, thus increasing the risk of a bad sale.
  6. Robert Watson

Robert Watson Monkey

Call me a knuckledragger, cuz I am. But can anyone explain the operational difference between the IDEN and FRS? Why I should pick one over the other? I checked Ebay and the best deal I found was 2 Idens for $52
  7. BTPost

Did you read the Informational Post, that started this all, that is in the blog section? An Interesting, SECURE, Comm's Device, for your CN-AoO Your not a Knuckledragger. just unInformed, and this blog was written, to impart the information you are seeking. If you have any further questions, you can PM "Me" and I will be glad to have a conversation with you, on your Comm Issues.
    Brokor likes this.
  8. stg58

Cellunex jacked up their price to $50 per pair must be selling well, maybe they owe a commission to Kellory..:)
  9. BTPost

That is still a bargain, for SECURE Comms, considering the the FRS Radios are wide open as far as security, goes....
    Brokor likes this.
  10. ditch witch

ditch witch resident bacon hoarder Site Supporter+

Dang I knew I shoulda gotten a couple more pairs while they were at $25!
  11. kellory

i believe it was @broker who gave a ringing endorsement, not I. I simply saved this page to bookmarks, in case I needed more radios, or batteries (I now have roughly 40 batteries for 4 radio, i thing that will suffice.;) though I may add a few radios. i560 Motorola | eBay I check what is available from time to time, and when something looks good, I repost it here. No commission, but you are welcome to pay a finder's fee:D
    Brokor likes this.
  12. kellory

i would contact the seller, and offer the previous price as a previous customer.
  13. stg58

I did pick up 4 radios and 4 of the larger batteries. As noted even a $50 they are a good deal.
  14. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey++

Just for info and general playing around I picked up a few of those Baofeng 888 UHF radios. They run a little over $20 each. They need to be programmed and the USB cables are offered on eBay. Software is downloadable, free. It takes a little guesswork to figure it out, but hey, it's a $20 radio. These little radios have 16 channels and will work with GMRS / FRS and I have also programmed them for HAM (they operate from 400 - 470 MHz). The guys on the local repeater UHF system tell me they sound really good.

They're 2 watt according to the service monitor despite claims of "something under 5 watts". But that makes them more useful than the "bubble pack" jobs which are generally .5 W.

The cool thing about them is the fact that they can be set to scramble on any channel that you choose. It's only voice inversion, but it's better than nothing. There is also a VHF version (think MURS - no license required but limited to 2 watts). They're compact, light weight come with a charger and new LiIon battery and antenna.

The thing I like about them is the fact that, if some day one should fall from my back pocket and make a splashing sound afterwards, all I have to do is hold that handle down a little bit longer than usual (hopefully I won't have to find the plunger) and go get the spare.
    kellory and BTPost like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary