In need of a sthil or husquvarna

Discussion in 'Pay It Forward' started by Off_grid_couple, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Off_grid_couple

Off_grid_couple Neophyte Monkey

Hi all as the title states. I'm in need of a good sthil or husquvarna chainsaw this saw will be put to work immediately. My wife and I are moving off grid in the spring I know I'm going to need a good chainsaw to clear some land and brush out for our homelite. Now here is where this whole thing gets a little tricky for us. The wife is a school bus driver and I'm on disability as you all know with this covid19 crap going out of control they aren't sending the kids to school so no pay check there and with my disability check only being $765 and my rent being $700 doesn't leave much money left over to buy things like chainsaw and tools. I am wondering if anyone has one they would be willing to get rid of fairly cheap

2. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Welcome to the board.

Maybe a local Church can front you the $$$. Since Spring is a few months away, no hurry - eh?

In the meantime, post something about this property you will be moving to - a map or some pics would be great.

HK_User likes this.
  3. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

A location would help so maybe some one close could loan you one.

In fact if you are close to me I will give you a machine that needs some TLC that spares (fuel lines etc) are cheap for and it will be a good starter unit.

4. Off_grid_couple

Off_grid_couple Neophyte Monkey

I'm in Norfolk VA. And would perfect something that would need maybe a carb cleaning or rebuild. We enjoy figuring things out and getting them working.i did some trading and got us a 6500watts generator that needed work. Hk worker I could possibly pay shipping if needed

HK_User likes this.
  5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

@Off_grid_couple
    Patience. Not all our membership checks in every day, and if you aren't going to need it until the weather breaks, time is on your side. Since you have the gennie, maybe you can get by with an electric saw, much less expensive option than a gas saw. Also consider stop gap measures like cheaper saws than Stihl or Husquvarna. You might also trade labor for the loan of a friend's machine. Once you know where you're going to be, stop at the local church for a chat with the elders.

HK_User and Yard Dart like this.
  6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Local church group here went around cutting trees off peoples homes and such,May want to check-out the local church groups?

HK_User and Yard Dart like this.
  7. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Check your local craigslist or FB marketplace.
    lots of folks needing cash for the holidays or just survival money.
    Might be able to snag a deal.

8. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I was in a local Stihl shop over the weekend getting a new chain for one of my saws . Had a friend up from Ga,,, while in the store , he bought a new Stihl 170 for $ 180.00 ,, said down there that saw was 250 or more. Just for info. I 2nd what VisuTrac says ,, ya might can pick up a Poulan for 40 bucks or less in a pawn shop. Good luck.

HK_User and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Oh god Norfolk VA? I used to live there. Friggen toilet and its only gotten worse in the 10 years since I left. How far away do you have to go to get away?

SB21, HK_User and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Well to give you some hope....... I tried a stihl ran a 390 for 30 minutes got in the truck and went and bought a Orange 460 Rancher to replace the ragged out 460 Rancher and the New Stihl. Heard of someone that needed a bigger saw and gave the 390 to them. Would have given it to you but yer about 6 weeks too late :( So it is possible to get a high end saw free or cheap....... Just need to find someone that has always use Husq and tried a stihl and hated them.

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

At least you know what decent Saw brands are... Up in alaska where we live, Stihl is the Bull of the Woods brand, and every town & village has a dealer... We have two that are 25+ years old... Mine is an 032AV w/24” bar and AlaskaChick’s is a 180 w/14” Bar... Start watching the local Yard Sales and Facebook Marketplace... I like the Church Group idea, a lot... plenty of good christian Folks around who can and will help out a Disabled Vet...

SB21 and HK_User like this.
  12. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

$765.00 must be very hard to live on. I just gave a Poulan saw to a old friend in need. You are welcome to the very best forum there is. Keep us updated on your progress,there are some really smart people here that will be able to answer any questions you might have.
    [flag][flag]

HK_User likes this.
  13. HK_User

Sorry to say that my offer is not the brand of your choice. As many I did not need a killer 24/7 saw as my needs were for brush removal and seldom did I use it continuously. Often it sat for a couple of years at a time and no matter what they really need to be run on a regular time line.

Which brings out a few facts, where do you plan to move? As BTPost mentioned a 120 vac saw and the gen unit can be a good idea.

SB21 likes this.
  14. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Twasn’t me that made the Electric Saw/Genset remark, although it is certainly a valid judgement... Twas that aging Pennsylvanian Admin, Ghrit... Put that Gennie in the back of an ATV with a 100ft extension cord and a decent Chain on the saw, and anyone would be good to go...

Cruisin Sloth, SB21 and VisuTrac like this.
  15. HK_User

Oh well, good idea anyway, thanks Ghrit.
    Actually have a middle age lady friend who did something like that. 'Cept she cleared a 10 acre hillside of mesquites and salt ceder in about two weeks. She used a heavy duty garden cart and loaded a small Honda in it. Kept most of the noise and exhaust at bay and then sold both for about what she paid for them when finished.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7