Energy Increase solar panel output with reflectors

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by DKR, Dec 6, 2020.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

this with foil backed cardboard - more of a proof of concept

here, mirrors are used to boost panel output. This also shows placement of the panel and tilt angle are real keys to maximizing panel output. This video is poorly done, but shows increases are possible..

this one shows a well laid out 'system' with tilt, orientation and reflector settings to show the possibilities

I see this as having more potential for portable or mobile systems, say when backpacking/on RVs .

It may worth your time to see if these simple reflectors will be worth the effort on your setup.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
    3M-TA3, chelloveck and Merkun like this.
  2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

It voids the warranty on pretty much every panel made.
    And panels are so cheap why over drive them and waste money on reflectors when you can just buy more panels or a higher efficiency charge controller?

3. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

DOes it work to do that? Wonder if it woudl burn out the panels

SB21 and techsar like this.
  4. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

I know from mine the output is the highest on a cold day when the ground is snow covered and the sun comes out bright.

But I'd have to agree with OP4.....panels are so cheap now I doubt you could build a reflector that would hold up in the weather that would increase the panel output enough to bother....if nothing else, you're taking up space another panel could mount.

The DO make aluminum reflector plate that fit behinds vacuum tube type water solar water heating systems that are probably a good idea. I have a water system like that, but it doesn't have the reflector.

BenP, Ganado and techsar like this.
  5. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Sure, it would work - for a while.

Much akin to taking the governor off a lawn mower and running it flat out...more power, but much shorter life.

Alf60 and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The water heater tubes use reflectors to lower emissivity so they hold heat longer.
    That's what most people need, heat tubes that hold heat longer and preform better in the cold than tubes that heat up faster and get hotter in hot weather.

7. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

My solar collectors have aluminum reflector plate that fit behinds vacuum tube, I ran 4 units , pool and DHW systems .
    Sloth

8. Cruisin Sloth

Im doing a water wheel next , this will learn up the gray again !! I have the midnitesolar.com folks to smartin me out !!!
    Work well together !! Very !
    As we have here , Gray hair ones .
    Robin Is the force and his Brother .
    MidNite Solar Inc. Renewable Energy System Electrical Components and E-Panels
    Heat kills the life of the panel , snow reflection is some of the best of both worlds when cleared .
    Sloth

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  9. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

Uhhhmm yeah....it's a bad idea that doesn't give any meaningful increase in output.

It's kind of like disconnecting the radiator fan in your car to save energy and boost gas milage. Yeah, it works in theory but in reality you're just going to cook your engine.

10. Cruisin Sloth

I pulled the fan and clutch drive off of mine installed a two speed fan , low speed is when compressor is on and high speed is a signal from rad temp !!
    Worked great , car is now timed X at 900K km + .
    New ride next spring.
    Sloth

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7