Insect Repellent ratings

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by stg58, Feb 10, 2016.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

2. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey++

Good info stg. Problem in my neck is gnats. They cut you up into tiny pieces and try to haul you off during certain times of the year, particularly around the end of May.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  3. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+

Use beauty berry leaves you won't have one bite you.

4. john316

john316 Monkey+

Good info stg.

5. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey++

I would like to see a more complete chart on all sorts of insect repellents. I have a thermacell for really bad days, and have used some stuff from the PX that was a patch that you stuck on your ribs. That stuff worked great, but you ended up smelling like a rotten flower for a week. I think it repelled people too.

6. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

We used to use Avon skin so soft oil/lotion. Although it wasn't originally designed as insect repellent it worked quite well.

Legion489 likes this.
  7. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

I trust these guys over CR
    EWG's Guide to Bug Repellents

Executive Summary
    West Nile virus, carried by mosquitoes, infected more than 5,674 Americans last year and 286 of them died, according to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC 2013C).

The incidence of Lyme disease, spread by ticks, has more than doubled over the last 15 years, with 24,364 confirmed cases recorded in 2011 (CDC 2013A, CDC 2013B).

Both these illnesses, and other pest-borne diseases, can have serious and occasionally life-altering consequences. Many experts expect to see more cases in the future as the warming climate expands the habitat of species that spread pathogens.

Yet many people are understandably concerned about the possible drawbacks of common repellents such as DEET. At EWG, we certainly were. So we spent 18 months digging into the question: what are the safest and most effective ways to prevent bug bites and the diseases they may transmit?

The conclusions of our fact-finding investigation surprised and in some ways disappointed us.

The bad news: there's no sure, completely safe way to prevent bug bites. All bug repellents have pros and cons.

The good news: some repellents are effective and relatively low in toxicity -- provided you take precautions when using them, particularly on children.

The surprising news: among the four repellent chemicals EWG found to be top picks is DEET, which is widely used but much maligned. DEET's safety profile is better than many people assume. Its effectiveness at preventing bites is approached by only a few other repellent ingredients.

DEET isn't a perfect choice nor the only choice. But weighed against the consequences of Lyme disease and West Nile virus, we believe it is a reasonable one.

The four repellent ingredients that EWG found to be top picks are:

Picaridin [Learn more]
    IR3535 [Learn more]
    DEET [Learn more]
    Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus and its synthetic derivative PMD [Learn more]

These repellents offer a high level of protection from a variety of biting insects and ticks, have good safety profiles, and are registered with the Environmental Protection Agency, meaning that they must provide data on both efficacy and toxicity.

Continue reading: What to look for in a bug repellent.

8. ghrit

ghrit Ambulatory anachronism Administrator Founding Member

Body chemistry, including last night's dinner can influence the effectiveness of any bug repellent; some people aren't bothered at all, and others are natural skeeter magnets. You have to do your own experiments to figure out what works for you. No point to me listing my un-fave intakes that ruin or enhance my attractiveness, but I can guarantee you a bug free picnic by eating the "right stuff" before I come and sit off to the side.

9. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

10. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Monkey

except when it gets tested, then it ranks quite low...

Mosquito repellent effectiveness: A placebo controlled trial comparing 95% DEET, Avon Skin So Soft, and a “special mixture” | BC Medical Journal

Skin So Soft Insect Repellent - Just the Facts

Insect Repellent Use & Safety | West Nile Virus | CDC

During mosquito season we tend to wear clothes outside that are treated with permethrin, it keeps ticks away as well. And if in the field we either wear gaiters or blouse our trousers.

11. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I have some uniforms treated with the permethrin but it tend to give me a rash so I don't like using it. My last trip I didn't even treat my uniforms and was fine. I did notice that when I had been on the malaria preventatives for a while the bugs seemed to avoid me. Even when I got home and stopped taking them bugs seemed to avoid me for a while after.

12. BTPost

BTPost Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator

Garlic does the same thing, MM... If you eat enough, and it comes out in your sweet....

1. WolfBrother
  2. Motomom34
  3. Motomom34
  4. VHestin
  5. Ganado
    [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Ganado, Jul 14, 2016, 14 replies, in forum: General Survival and Preparedness
  6. ColtCarbine
  7. Dont
  8. Ganado
  9. Yard Dart
  10. Motomom34
  11. Ganado
  12. Motomom34
  13. timberwolf50
  14. Legion489
  15. OldDude49
  16. Witch Doctor 01
  17. Witch Doctor 01