Is this Pure Fantasy for Coronovirus TEOTWAWKI Survival For limited Food, No Jobs, etc?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by ED GEiN, Jun 21, 2020.

1. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Let's say it gets 100 times worse than now and everything closes up, food, medicine and other resources are scarce and unemployment and lawlessness is the norm. Using myself as an example of someone who lives in a large city in an apartment, if you had a stockpile of resources, could you transfer the bulk of them to a hidden/safe location ahead of time and basically go back and forth from your apartment to your "secret fortress"? That commuter survival concept is probably a Childish Fantasy, correct? In other words if you're out, you're out, there is no compromise and you can't go back?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Why in the hell would you want to go back???????????? The thing about secret fortresses is they usually are not a secret for very long. Someone will notice yer coming and going and follow you. Or someone will simply stumble across yer stash. The best secret fortress is a series of sealed 5 gallon buckets buried below the frost line and the hole returned to looking natural, even then a keen observer passing it will notice the signs that someone has been in the area and most likely discover the disturbed earth around yer stash hole. Thus multiple stash holes in the most unlikely places. Like the old saying goes...... "Don't put all of yer eggs in one basket."

3. TinyDreams

TinyDreams Monkey++

I wouldn’t go back if I had everything hidden somewhere else. If I was concerned enough to leave in the first place it means it probably isn't safe to go back yet. Yes it would be easy to transfer stuff out at 3am-4:30am in the morning (or whenever ppl are asleep in your area) you’d want to do it during that time on a weekday not Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. Be mindful of the semitruck drivers they sway at that time in the morning...give them plenty of room. Then you want to be back at your living place by 6:00-7:00am. If done properly nobody will know that you were up so early in the morning.

totally depends on your area though maybe take a drive around during different hours to see when the roads are truly empty

Gator 45/70 and ED GEiN like this.
  4. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Going back because I have all my CDs and electronic equipment to occupy my time for which I've spent a lot of money on and is too large and noticeable as far as sound in a small hideaway. Good point though about eventually being noticed.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

The transferring I'm not worried about but its living without music because I'd be afraid of someone being aware of my presence and frankly I have too much stuff for what I imagined would be a small sized studio at most. But it does seem to be an all in or nothing option

Gator 45/70 and TinyDreams like this.
  6. TinyDreams

TinyDreams Monkey++

You need to keep some stuff there if you are wanting to stay (maybe a bucket of rice and some beans). An empty pantry looks too suspicious. If you could hide majority of the stash thats an option too but personally I would rather have it hidden elsewhere unless I am planning on bugging in. If you are ‘raided’ leaving in your car afterwards while looking upset would be an option that doesn’t involve shooting everyone that shows up.

there are probably better psychology tricks to use and have been discussed before on the forum

7. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Is it worth dying for? I'm not bugging-out because I live on 10 acres (surrounded by hundreds of acres of farm land) in NW Alabama, I have a water well, fish pond, gardens, fruit trees, and too many preps to list here(or to move)! Is it worth dying for? YES! You on the other- hand live in an apartment, located in an over-populated concrete jungle, located in a desert ...and you are worried about your CDs and electronics! Without power the electronics are worthless, while the CDs could be useful as coasters or over-sized poker-chips.

8. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

Id dump the big city location. Its a trap.

Thunder5Ranch and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I have terabytes of music stored in FLAC format on a 1U NAS that has redundancy. Dimensions are 19" x 1.75" x 8". The CD's themselves (at least the music I bought that way) are stored in boxes. As much as I love my audio gear, which includes some of the best components ever made, I would walk away from it in a heartbeat and never look back if needed to assure my continuity of life or that of Mrs. 3M.

You don't need to go off grid to be safe and even if you did you wouldn't be able to power all that gear. Most people off grid do well enough to power refrigerators, freezers, and lights. If I were looking at that option AND still wanted music the options would be a low power amp pushing headphones, or high efficiency speakers like 4344's or their Econowave offspring (search for econowave on audiokarma).

A low wattage amp will drive these to insane ear damaging levels if you want LOUD on less power than a filament light bulb. For even better efficiency set them up in a passive biamp configuration so you don't lose power to the leveling pot or resistor network in the HF section of the crossover. You honestly don't need more than a few watts and there are plenty of class D chip amps based amps designed for headphones but have ample power for a high efficiency speaker.

Find a place that hits all your check boxes that isn't densely urban. It needs to be a red state or eventually you will be in the same situation. If you like the LA type tropical area look to the Gulf Coast and states like South Carolina. It will be a bit more humid, but you will be able to see that the sky is actually blue on a regular basis. Yes, there are gaitors and hurricanes, but I'd take them over crowds of people any day.

If the coastal scene isn't your cup of tea, there is a lot of nice desert areas with reasonable water availability that don't have the gaitors and hurricanes. If you handle snow, then that really opens things up, and every one of them has a lower cost of living.

10. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Here's an EOTW pandemic scenario, and music is high on the list of things to somehow preserve? Methinks saving your ass would be higher priority, as in GTHOOD with full intent of being elsewhere for the duration. Returning regularly to your residence for stuff you forgot is about guaranteed to attract attention of the unwanted type.

To my mind, music is far less important than the other necessities of life.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    Thunder5Ranch and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Those CD's scare off Crows,Deer,etc if applied correctly !

Thunder5Ranch likes this.
  12. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

CDs? People still use CDs?
    Rip them to a format you can load on memory stick.
    as for occupying your time .. erm, sharpen sticks? learn how to patio garden? or better yet figure out how to get out of the big city.

13. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

If/When S truly HTF, your CD collection and high end electronics will become door stops. Short term you won't have any way to power he gear, and by the time you do that gear will be long gone. If your location is bad enough that you need to keep your valuables elsewhere - YOU need to be in that same elsewhere.

14. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Great fer hanging around a round pen with noisy clanky things to take the spook out of a horse in training as well :)

Gator 45/70 and Lancer like this.
  15. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

You may want to rethink that.
    Entertainment is something you have when things are relatively safe, not on high alert.
    Distraction is some thing the enemy uses to infiltrate your security.
    However using electronics one can create a surveillance system to boost you security.

Gator 45/70 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  16. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I still have one of the gen 2 ipods and have 45 days worth of music on it. I also have some music on my phone. Get some nice head phones and a small portable speaker and a goal zero nomad kits or something similar
    Nomad 5 Lightweight Backpacking Solar Kit | Goal Zero
    Still think you should rent a storage unit on the outskirts of town for most of your stuff then a motoped or something like that to keep in your apartment but can get you there quicker.

TinyDreams and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

"Is this Pure Fantasy for Coronovirus TEOTWAWKI Survival For limited Food, No Jobs, etc?"

Yes, it is.

Merkun, Thunder5Ranch and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

If you have time that needs occupying in TEOTWAWKI yer doing something bad wrong to start with :) Every minute of every day in a survival situation should be devoted to nothing but keeping you and yours alive and breathing and improving your circumstance. Learn to listen to the music of the world, it is a real good indicator if you are safe or in danger. NO insult intended but you are like most people now days that you can't hear anything and are probably blind because your ears are so full of artificial noise and the eyes full of fake images that you have never learned to see and hear what is real. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the music and video artificial junk when there is time for it, but I learned to see and hear the real world before I learned of those things.

techsar, ED GEiN, TinyDreams and 2 others like this.
  19. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

CDs through a high quality Stereo System that I have is a night and day difference from FLAC, Mp3, etc. and I can't listen to anything that's not on CD through a high quality system. I gave up on records years ago as I scratched and ruined thousands by everyday use and a lot of my money went to replacing records with CDs and then replacing those CDs with remastered CDSl A Tube CD Player through high end equipment can't be beat.

Agreed but I don't consider this TEOTWAWKI time yet.

Don't trust storage units but I do need some backup plans. I realize its all in or not at all and I haven't reached the All-In Stage yet.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2020
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

So ED,You're retired,What in the blue blazes hell is holding you back from traveling around the country in a Winnebago,

I realize that you don't drive for the time being,But then again 1/3rd of the people on the road can't drive either,Hit the road Jack !

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7