Jeeps and other stuff

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by ColtCarbine, Nov 26, 2022.

1. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Touché, you really know how to kick a guy where it counts. LOL

That's what is missing here, people laughing and joking with each other. Instead of insults.

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I have a friend in the Alaskan Bush that found a new Jeep CJ Look-a-Like that is powered by a 45 Hp 4 Cyl Diesel.. They love it, as it has Good Power, a high Ground Clearance, and gets really Good Mileage… They bought the PTO Winch Kit for it and got it installed in a Day… Does that count as a Jeep Wanna-Bee? Just asking for my friend…

3. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

....... I am struggling as I do not know if this is better or worse ..... :) Certainly no "Man Points" can be awarded. Is it one of the Indian made jobbies ?

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I can find out, where he got it, but it must have been on the West Coast of the USA…

5. Andy the Aussie

They have imported some out here. Made by Mahindra. The first ones didn’t meet our specs to be registered for road use but were cheaper than many side by sides on the market. I think the new ones can be registered though.

6. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Last I heard, Mahindra had some legal issues with Jeep...they ended up having to change the front clip because they looked too much like a Jeep...but they still didn't pass muster for road-worthiness. No ABS, airbags...stuff like that. 'Tis a shame.

Turns out there are some places that allow the Roxor to be registered for road use. If you wish to peruse the areas further:
    Are ROXORS Street Legal? Helpful Guide (Rules Per States) (motorandwheels.com)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
  7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

We have a few Jeeps, LOVE them all! Wished I still had the FSJ Wagoneer, that thing was a beast and rode like a Caddy. The 48 CJ-2A is a works in progress, but will get it done someday, the Wife has the 55 Jeepster that we converted to 4X4 and 304 V-8 with automatic, it's also a works in progress, but does run and drive nicely! I also have a 52 Jeep Gladiator Pickup project, It is getting the new Crate Cummins 4 banger and 6 speed manual, but otherwise will be mostly stock! Then on top of that, I have the two PowerWagons, that's a whole nother class of kick ass, Basically, anything else is just pretending! LOL
    We really looked into the Mahindras, and almost pulled the trigger on one, but found getting parts was gonna be a challenge I didn't want to risk, while everything outside the engine should be pretty easy to source ( as they are License built Jeep CJ-2 Series) the Engine it's self would be the major issue! As is is, the CJ-2A is getting a MBZ 4 banger turbo diesel from one of the newer vans, puts out around 90 Hp and has a 8 speed automatic, its a super short coupled drive train and will adapt to pretty much any transfer case I would want, so it's a no brainer!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
  8. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

In my area of the UP, off-road vehicles are legal on roads (no interstates or highways). The Mahindra makes a pretty cool vehicle to buzz around locally.

9. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Still wish I had my old 1994 NAS D-90... :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

D_90-001.

10. Andy the Aussie

I struggle when choosing which to mock first ….a Jeep or a Land Rover ;)

11. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

My Dad brought home a rusted up , body falling off the frame old Willys army jeep back in the early 70s . It had a brand new looking Ford 302 under the hood . That thing had about 12 leaf springs front , 14 rear . He finally got that thing together ,, top speed was about 60 mph ,, and that was after he put an overdrive gear in the 3 speed trans . He welded pieces of RR track for front and rear bumpers to try and put some weight on the tires . I remember driving that old thing ,, you could sit at a stop light ,, put it in overdrive gear ,,,, feather the gas pedal ,, ease out on the clutch ,, no more shifting ,, be at top speed in a second or 2 . It was just his little hobby ,, wasn't practical for anything ,, if it could get the grip ,, it probably could have climbed a tree .

12. Dunerunner

My dentist and good friend told me when he saw my Defender, "You know why the British never made a TV?" "No," I replied.
    "Because they couldn't figure out how to make it leak oil!" :whistle:

13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Ah the Roxors, Cool looking and top speed is 35 mph...unless one disconnected the odometer cable which has a speed sensors built in, Now one could get up to 70 or so mph's.

ColtCarbine, Seepalaces, SB21 and 3 others like this.
  14. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

From Mahindra's site:
    • MAX SPEED 55 mph / 88 kmph
    • MAX TOWING SPEED 15 mph / 24 kmph
    • MAX FLAT TOWING SPEED3 55 mph / 88 kmph
    Not interstate worthy, but not bad. I still prefer my Samurai ;)

Seepalaces, SB21, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  15. Andy the Aussie

......let us not forget Lord Lucas... the Lord of Darkness :D

16. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

I believe the Roxor was available initially with a manual trans only, which made it perfect to introduce the young kids to proper driving. I think if the wind is right, she’ll do 65-70.

Seepalaces, Seawolf1090, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  17. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I remember years ago, the Mahindra diesel small pickup truck was supposed to be coming to the US. A bunch of folks had been hoping Toyota and Nissan would bring in diesels, but it never happened. Neither did the Mahindra, as it never passed DOT certification. It would have been much less expensive than a Japanese truck, and I liked the Jeepish looks of it.

18. Dunerunner

Still have some spares...

2v8fzth.

19. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Them's almost Fightin Words! LOL!
    I'd still take an old Jeep over any Japanese Made truck of any era, and I would take any pre series II Rover truck, ether the 110 or the Discovery's! Hands down the very best would be the Mercedes Benz G Wagon, but those are spendy and hard to get! We had both a Toyota and Rover in Yugoslavia, both were decent, but that damn Rover was unstoppable, the Toyota interior was cheap junk plastic that squeaked and rattled and fell apart! It also sucked for power, it's diesel engine couldn't pull much! We ended up with a G-Wagon non turbo diesel, and while it was gutless, it absolutely went everywhere! Sadly, it got shot all to hell and left in a ditch!

20. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Guess I'm a double dipper. Bought my daughter a Land Rover Discovery a few years back. It was a turd but built like a tank. She has moved on to a different vehicle but we still have it. Thought for sure it would be dead by now but it's still chugging along.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7