Just how far?

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Big Ron, May 10, 2018.

1. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

Would you consider traveling for going back and forth to work? If you live at your place in the boonies.

Ura-Ki and Dunerunner like this.
  2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Wouldn't. It would eliminate any time I would have to work the property, unless it was turn key, and that is not probable.

I would want a garden, a pond, land for animals and seclusion, at least 100 Acres... Puts me literally, Out There.

Better bet would be the ability to work from my remote location.

Tully Mars and chelloveck like this.
  3. duane

duane Monkey+++

Time and distance are two different factors. If you are on a freeway, 60 miles may be an hour travel and the roads basically usable year around, you can get to work and if TSHTF every one can also reach your house. I am 22 miles from work and it takes 45 minutes to get to work. I know of people that I work with that live 20 miles from work and it takes them 20 minutes to get to a good road and an hour to get to work. My place is not survivable nor can it be defended, theirs can be and with their neighbors probably would be.

4. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Since I got out of the service, I haven't travelled over 12 miles (one way) for my primary job. Optional side jobs...depends, but I have gone nearly 100 miles....but I emphasize this was optional and purely voluntary.

5. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

I do

6. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

30 minutes is my max. Distance does not matter. That's all the time from my life I will devote to working somewhere, other than the eight hours spent working.

7. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I have traveled to work each direction for about an hour.....for years, up until recently. Now I go about 20 minutes. ;)

sarawolf likes this.
  8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Up until recently, my commute was almost 2 hours one way, but only about 60 miles each way. During the winter, the "commute" could be 4 hours+ depending on if the county plowed the highway, and how much effort it took for ether the Sno-Cat or 4X4 to get to the highway, then on down the pass appox 3000 feet to town where I would then have to put in a days work for a days pay! The Sno-Park job was even worse, whole only about an hour when the roads are clear, it can take 5 hours by Cat if I had to go, so I usually stayed in "Housing" for my rotations, and that cut the comuye to nothing but a trip to the lodge for coffee, and my commute to the lift or my commute to my Cat to begin my shift! All those days are now over, I'm retired! Now any commute is for needful things or fun and adventure!

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

My "commutes" have varied from 15 minutes to an hour and a half each way. Now, it's zero, gotta luv it.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  10. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Currently I commute a very fast 20 miles. But I would not drive everyday into the heavily congested areas. If I lived in the boonies, I would commute up to an hour one way. Also one other factor in distance would be the climate. If I lived in the boonies that gets lots of snow, I would consider maybe not having such a long commute. You don't want to get stuck out in the middle of nowhere in the winter. It gets dark real early.

snake6264 and Ura-Ki like this.
  11. sarawolf

sarawolf Monkey+++

From here the DH had a 40 min. drive to work from 2004 to 2015.

ochit and Motomom34 like this.
  12. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I know guys that travel 2-3 hrs each way 5-6 days a week. It's worth it to them. I much preferred working for 2-4 weeks straight then two weeks off. I stayed in my RV or a man camp. Not bad when you get accustomed to it.
    Nowadays it's across the property or over to the uncle's on a 4 wheeler:)

Ganado, snake6264, ochit and 4 others like this.
  13. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

Thanks for the replies. I think I have gotten spoiled with a ten-minute drive. I am considering some property that would put me at about thirty minutes.

Motomom34, snake6264 and Ura-Ki like this.
  14. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Three hours one way.. I work two sixteen hour days and occasional an eight hour shift, stay in a provided apartment and meals. And get paid for fourty hours.. Leaves much of the week for working around my home in the mountains. Well, after I catch up on some sleep.

Ganado, Yard Dart, Motomom34 and 2 others like this.
  15. ochit

ochit Monkey+

LMAO back in the day I worked around the clock until the job was finished, pay started when you got the call , generally a couple of days a few lasted over a week. No specific breaks or time to eat I have finished one and might go 2 states over and do a few more. One job I was so drunk I couldn't stand the company man said me or no job, so they picked me up threw my bag in the truck and drove me there 5 hours out, last hour drinking coffee. I lived on coffee and Crown Royal, I loved my work I loved the money travel some overseas travel back then Mexico was a local job. When you go into overtime on the second day and your perdiem check looks like other peoples wages your getting tapped by big brother hard. but compensation was excellent days off lived in the best hotels all travel and expenses vehicles and liquor bills paid on or off the job.

I have almost drown in a bath tub I was so tired, vehicle wrecks and all the other travel nightmares been life flighted and duct taped together and my love life was a bull ride in a hurricane but, I still have all my fingers and toes walk OK most mornings my memory is intact and I only need cheaters for reading, doing pretty good for the shape I'm in

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    Bandit99 and Yard Dart like this.
  16. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Soon to join you, Ura-Ki

Tully Mars and Ura-Ki like this.
  17. BenP

BenP Monkey++

I drove an hour one way for years, audio books and a cheap car that gets good mileage make it easy.

Tully Mars likes this.
  18. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

In a ideal world I would only leave the property once or twice per year. But 3-4 times per week I have to travel 30 minutes - 1 hour to sell my stuff at farmers markets, April through October.

ochit likes this.
  19. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Worst commute was over 100 miles one way and we lived in the boonies .(in the desert)
    I came home on week ends.
    It was great being in the desert but not being away from the family .
    Now that I'm retired I'd live there again if I could .

ochit likes this.
  20. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

[LMAO]...................You sir have gotten spoiled. Thirty minutes would be a breeze!!!!!

Tully Mars, ochit and Bandit99 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7