Justice Scalia Found Dead of Natural Causes

Discussion in 'Politics' started by 3M-TA3, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Not necessarily.. there have ben justices that appeared to be conservative way and actually voted liberal... and vice versa

chelloveck likes this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Why does your statement make me think of John Roberts. Everyone thought he was the man but IMO he caved to the blackmail.

3. Garand69

Garand69 Monkey++

@William Warren ... Spot on! This is going to get ugly.
    If anyone thinks Mitch McConnel is going to do what is best for this country....... [stoner]

Wild Trapper and 3M-TA3 like this.
  4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Chello would make a better Judge than most, He has first hand experience with having his gun rights ripped away!

Minuteman, 3M-TA3 and Garand69 like this.
  5. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I thank you for your confidence in my ability to interpret the law, and make judgements based on it; but Australia has no equivalent to the 2nd Amendment, and although we have some analogues to the US First Amendment, they are decidedly milquetoastian.

You can't take away something that one has never had. Australian, and formerly, British subjects born in Australia never had the right to gun ownership as is the case in the USA. What the conservative Australian Liberal/National Party coalition did was to legislate the further restriction of semi automatic long arms, and the further restriction of semi automatic and wheel gun pistols. Licensing had always been a requirement for the legal possession of firearms in relatively recent times: just that the rules for licensing were very much toughened in the late 90's with regard to training requirements, background checking, safe storage, notification of ownership transfer etc.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Oh so NOW Obama's going to do his "constitutional responsibility"? How convenient. I guess all those other parts of that pesky constitution thing aren't so important. Just the ones he can benefit from. Didn't take him long after the judge's passing to leap at the opportunity to tell everyone of his " constitutional responsibility".
    Obama wants the court to be a political action committee basing judgment on social ideology instead of the rule of law which will change the very structure of our nation, and like Obama said many times- "I want to fundamentally change America".
    Today our Nation mourns the loss of one of the greatest Justices in history A champion of our liberties and a defender of the Constitution, he will go down as one of the few Justices who single-handedly changed the course of legal history.
    He authored some of the most important decisions ever, including District of Columbia v. Heller, which recognized our fundamental right under the Second Amendment to keep and bear arms. He was a defender of religious liberty, free speech, federalism, the constitutional separation of powers, and private property rights. All liberty-loving Americans should be in mourning.
    Justice Scalia’s three decades on the Court was one of President Reagan’s most important legacies. My prayers are with his wife Maureen, their children, and grandchildren.

7. Garand69

Garand69 Monkey++

Very bad news...
    "Article I, Section 5 of the Constitution states “Neither House, during the Session of Congress, shall, without the Consent of the other, adjourn for more than three days, nor to any other Place than that in which the two Houses shall be sitting.”

That means that so long as both the House and Senate haven’t jointly agreed to “adjourn” for a stretch longer than three days, then there appears to be no way the president could make a recess appointment.

But the House and Senate are not operating under those circumstances right now. Both bodies of have adjourned until later this month for the President’s Day recess.

The Senate last met on Thursday. When doing so, it approved a
    “conditional adjournment resolution” for the Senate not to meet again until Monday, Feb. 22. The House met on Friday and at the close of business adopted the same adjournment resolution to get in sync with the Senate. The House is out until Tuesday, Feb. 23.

So, the House and Senate will not be meeting in the coming days. This is an adjournment and is not challengeable in court the way the NLRB recess appointments were because both bodies have agreed with each other to adjourn.

This is a true recess and an opportunity for the president should he elect to take it -- considering the political realities of the Senate and the position of its majority leader to potentially make a recess appointment."

Obama has rare parliamentary window to make recess appointment to succeed Scalia

Dunerunner likes this.
  8. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

But....That appointment still has to be Confirmed by the Senate, wouldn't it?

9. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

Justice Antonin Scalia found dead of "natural causes" sounds more like tinfoil hat talk to me. Yes he is dead. Yes he was the last lone voice in the wilderness crying out for us. Yes Obummer will push for a Billary clone to replace him. Yes I believe the Senate will roll over like the good little politicos they are and appoint someone to his place. Go watch the 3 minute video I just posted about Big Gov't and see if you don't agree that we are screwed.

That means that so long as both the House and Senate haven’t jointly agreed to “adjourn” for a stretch longer than three days, then there appears to be no way the president could make a recess appointment.

Thanks Garand69, your sense of humor never fails to make me laugh. Obummer obeying the Constitution, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

10. Garand69

Garand69 Monkey++

@Legion489 ... You didn't read the rest, I wish I could laugh at it. follow the link, hear the story.
    No, "Both bodies of have adjourned until later this month for the President’s Day recess." and therefore "This is a true recess and an opportunity for the president should he elect to take it -- considering the political realities of the Senate and the position of its majority leader to potentially make a recess appointment."

"Keep in mind that this window will close later this month. Then GOP-led House and Senate can effectively block the president with another recess appointment gambit in the future by agreeing to meet every three days, even if members aren’t really here.

But obviously nobody anticipated Scalia’s death.

Thus, the president could in fact take advantage of this rare opportunity because he won’t get it again after February 22/23 if McConnell sticks to his guns."

11. Dunerunner

This is all to opportune, too neat and packaged....

Yard Dart, 3M-TA3 and Garand69 like this.
  12. Garand69

Garand69 Monkey++

natural causes...... :rolleyes:

13. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

None of that matters so long as the new Justice both respects and stays true to the Constitution.

...Chicago Style...
    [seeno][hearno][sayno]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    Yard Dart and Garand69 like this.
  14. chelloveck

Fair enough 3M, your commitment to judicial pluralism is laudable and applaudable,... but were a Muslim appointed, I'm certain that there would be loud shrieks, wailing, and the gnashing of teeth, that it is proof positive of the thin edge of the Sharia Law wedge encroaching on the USA's secular laws. When I see a colander being worn as proper judicial garb by a SCOTUS judge, then I'll know that religious affiliation is truly irrelevant to the appointment of SCOTUS candidates. :D

[​IMG]

'Pastafarian' allowed to wear spaghetti strainer on her head

15. Dunerunner

I'm in agreement with the tactics of Schumer with respect to radical appointees to the Supreme Court. Just as he said in this vid, so should conservatives act in the Senate on any Obama appointment.

16. chelloveck

Given that Obama is a relatively young man, in good general health, he could be sitting on the SCOTUS bench for some 25 to 30 years....which translates to some six or seven or more US presidential administrations. Now there is a situation that must have conservatives saying bucket loads of intercessory prayers.

17. Dunerunner

If Hillary isn't indicted... Or Obama impeached. None of these are worth holding your breath for but they make for good conversation.... It would certainly boost gun and ammunition sales again!

18. Garand69

Garand69 Monkey++

@Dunerunner in a logical and lawful world, both Hillary's indictment and Obummers Impeachment would be a no-brainer.
    Sadly I fear neither will happen, especially now.

This has been borrowed with permission to repost, reprint, etc. Modify to suit your needs or let it inspire you to right the same, either way get to work quickly the last Box of Liberty is rapidly approaching. I would personally add a demand to Mitch McConnel and Paul Ryan to IMMEDIATELY return to session in order to prevent our worst nightmare.

-usmarinestanker
    Here's a letter I've written for my local newspapers, I'd appreciate if you guys could proof read it. Please be brutal.

Also, feel free to copy it or use it as a base for your own letters if you plan to organize for this situation.

Letter to the Editor: Prudent to Replace Scalia after Presidential Election

Greetings fellow citizens,

As a liberty-minded individual, I write today to ask your help supporting our Senators in the months ahead in preparation for the debate which is already starting over appointing a replacement justice to the Supreme Court following the death of Antonin Scalia on February, 13th.

Article II, Section 2, Clause 2 of the Constitution of the United States of America gives the President authority to appoint justices to the Supreme Court and requires the Senate to be consulted for advice and to give consent for the appointment to be successful. This has developed into our system of congressional hearings in which a nominee is grilled publicly and then put up for a vote. If the nominee receives a majority of votes of the Senators present, then the nomination goes through. This procedure is part of the wonderful system of checks and balances our Founding Fathers knew was appropriate to prevent the Executive from controlling too much power.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) has voiced his belief that it is most prudent to wait until after the Presidential election this year to appoint a replacement justice; his rationale being that the Supreme Court currently is (arguably) equal in number of justices being liberal or conservative with four each. By waiting for the next President to be elected and allowing that person to make the appointment, McConnell advocates in favor of the American people having a stronger voice than usual when it comes to installing someone who will swing the court one way or the other on the political spectrum for life.

Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) disagrees and wants President Obama to appoint a nominee as soon as possible. Such an action would undoubtedly cement a liberal bias, unfriendly to constitutional liberty and State rights, for decades. As it stands, a court without a “tie breaking” judge for a year is already friendly to Obama’s agenda, as the 4-4 split will be unable to defeat anything brought before it, ensuring anything Obama and other statists wish to pursue is free and clear for long enough to become accepted by default.

As liberty-minded citizens it is our responsibility to take up the pen (or keyboard?) and contact our Senators to sustain them in this fight, for the very fate of our nation is at stake. To help make this an easier endeavor I have included the contact information for our representatives, Mike Lee and Orrin Hatch. If you have never before written a member of government, I am overjoyed for you to join us in exercising our protected First Amendment rights to petition. Your letter or phone call doesn’t have to be long or even eloquent. It should be to the point and honest, just like you. Simply asking your Senator to vote in favor of postponing appointment of a justice to the Supreme Court until after the next Presidential election is essentially all you need to say.

Thank you for reading and for your conscientious thought during these trying times.

Yours in Service of Liberty,
    M****** ******
    Washington, UT

United States Senator from Utah Mike Lee
    [www.lee.senate.gov]

Washington D.C.
    361A Russell Senate Office Building
    Washington, D.C. 20510
    Phone: 202-224-5444

Salt Lake City
    Wallace F. Bennett Federal Building
    125 South State, Suite 4225
    Salt Lake City, UT 84138
    Phone: 801-524-5933
    Fax: 801-524-5730

St. George
    Office of Senator Michael S. Lee
    285 West Tabernacle, Suite 200
    St. George, UT 84770
    Phone: 435-628-5514

United States Senator from Utah Orrin Hatch
    [www.hatch.senate.gov]

Washington D.C.
    104 Hart Office Building
    Washington, DC 20510
    Tel: (202) 224-5251
    Fax: (202) 224-6331

Salt Lake City
    8402 Federal Building
    125 South State Street
    Salt Lake City, UT 84138
    Tel: (801) 524-4380
    Fax: (801) 524-4379

St. George
    Federal Building
    196 East Tabernacle, Rm 14
    St. George, UT 84770
    Tel: (435) 634-1795
    Fax: (435) 634-1796............

Yard Dart likes this.
  19. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Garand69 likes this.
  20. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

A quick recess appointment will only confirm that he was murdered...so I don't expect a recess appointment...at least not during this recess.

Scalia may have been better than some of the other justices but he was no real friend of liberty either. While he did hold the original intent of the framers dear, he also shared the wacky notion that their intent was subject to modification based upon the realities of today. (example: he never thought the framers could envision hand-held rockets, thus the 2nd Amendment does not apply to hand-held rockets) I have always contended that any modifications to intent can only be done via amendment, not via interpretation. If you don't want the 2nd to apply to hand-held rockets, amend it. Easy peasy...or not.

Garand69 likes this.
  1. Cruisin Sloth
  2. DKR
  3. Motomom34
  4. T. Riley
  5. Motomom34
  6. Motomom34
  7. HK_User
  8. Gator 45/70
  9. DKR
  10. Tevin
  11. HK_User