Knife lube question.

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Oddcaliber, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Here goes, pick up a SAK a VIC from another flea market. I should stay away from those places! LOL. Anyway this thing is very hard to open! Heck Clinton's emails are easy to open. So what kind of oil,lube or whatever can I use on the knife? I've got PB Blaster, WD 40 and 3 in 1 oil. Don't want to destroy the plastic scales. Thanks for any help!

2. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

I use Pam cooking spray on my blades

Ura-Ki and Oddcaliber like this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I use Food Grade Machine Oil....

4. Lone Gunman

Lone Gunman Draw Varmint!

Here are your choices: Kroil, Loctite Rust Remover, or Liquid Wrench. Of the three penetrating oils you, now, have the PB Blaster is your best choice.

If you don't already know it, you can use a thin sharp blade (like a box cutter) to slip under the edge of a SAK scale and pry it up until it just pops off. When you're finished working on the knife the scale will snap back into place with nothing more than finger pressure. (You can, also, purchase new scales from any large SAK dealer, or from the factory in Monroe, CT.)

I presently own two Victorinox Swiss Army Knives; both of them were handpicked for me by a man named Carl Elsener. (Whoever he is?) :D

5. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

[​IMG]
    Used since 1970.

Oddcaliber likes this.
  6. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Thank you for the information about the scales. Got another one of those SAK's around here somewhere that needs a replacement scales. Elsener I think is family to the original founder of Victorinox. But don't quote me on that! LOL

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

CLP to clean and loosen it up. After that, 3in1 is plenty good for the purpose UNLESS you are "carving the roast" when some kind of food grade oil makes better sense. Olive oil works.

Oddcaliber likes this.
  8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Bar and chain oil, at least for my ax and hatchet.

Oddcaliber likes this.
  9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Heat up some Bore Butter and apply liberally!

Oddcaliber likes this.
  10. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I use light machine oil (3in1 is good) for most knives, olive oil for kitchen knives.

ghrit, Ura-Ki and Oddcaliber like this.
  11. Lone Gunman

Lone Gunman Draw Varmint!

:) You're welcome! Yeah, I met Carl Elsener when he came to America to open the Swiss Army Knife store in Manhattan, NYC. He's a really great guy, (and one of the wealthiest men in Europe!)

Do you know that, throughout their 130 + year history, Victorinox has never laid-off a single employee; and they're very proud of that fact!

Carl Elsener, CEO, Victorinox AG
    [​IMG]

SB21 and Oddcaliber like this.
  12. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

" Never laid anyone off in 130 years " , Is a fact that is truly something to be proud of .

Oddcaliber likes this.
  13. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Kroil is a good one. Tap magic is another I use.

Oddcaliber likes this.
  14. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Bacon grease

Oddcaliber and Zimmy like this.
  15. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Funny story. I have a Kershaw Leek that is my left front pocket knife. Always there. It's rigged upside down for left handed opening, and recently it wouldn't open completely. I cleaned it, lubed it with cooking oil. No help. Tried olive oil. Still sticky. Switched to Mobil 1 synthetic. The blade immediately started opening completely, and with so much force that there was a little shake in the handle that told me it had locked.

But I didn't want this synthetic oil on my food. Just in case, I blew off the excess oil (I had used one whole drop) with 150PSI shop air. Wiped down the blade and blew it off again. No more evidence of oil. The blade still opens with authority. 90 days later it's still opening just as well.

My conclusion: There are oils, and there is Mobil 1.

Brokor likes this.
  16. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Well I finally got my SAK working! Used 3in 1 oil now everything opens up without the use of a Leatherman tool! Found the missing scale for other SAK. Would not snap into place so I Gorilla glued it back on.

17. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I clean with soap and water. Then give it a boiling water rinse. The hot water evaporates faster. Quick wipe of any remaining water. And lube with a little bit of olive oil. I sometimes cut food with mine.

Oh, I also work the tools open and closed in the soapy water as well as when oiling.

Oddcaliber likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7