Land to build on

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Shelly, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Shelly

Shelly Neophyte Monkey

Me and my wife are finally acting on our dreams and looking for land in Northern California to build on. We want to build an A-frame I have designed to be off grid. I have seen some owner will carry places but they seem to be in one area and are not so great pieces of land with lots of regulations. If anyone can give me some advice on purchasing land that would be great.

Click here to support A piece of land to build a home on organized by James Stevens

Gator 45/70 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Make sure you have water, stay away from HOAs, make sure the property isn't all rocks, make sure where the house is going to be built isn't in a flood zone because paying for flood insurance is just another expense an extra $50 to $100 per months goes a long way towards buying off grid goodies and it sucks if everything gets washed away.
    Make sure where the house is going to be isn't considered a wet lands, make sure there aren't any stupid California rules about collecting rain water, cisterns, sceptic tanks or out houses for that area.

3. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Strongly consider not being in California. You WILL be regulated and even out of city limits, etc., the cost for land just about anywhere in California will be higher than a lot of places with similar climate, terrain and "features".

4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Hello @Shelly welcome to Survival Monkey. I have never bought land but you are correct on the regulations. Personally, I would look for land that already has a well and septic in. I do think that many states have becoming highly regulated, Northern California is no exception.

Legion489 likes this.
  5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Hi Shelly - good luck in your venture! Like others have said regulations are the key. I would be careful where any of the west coast states are concerned, especially as they are becoming more authoritarian as time goes on. What is OK today could be an issue tomorrow. I remember my parents being forced off their septic system and required to pay for 200 yards of sewer. If west coast look east of the Cascades.

Another issue in the west are water rights. Be very careful to ensure that those are included with your property. In Oregon a land owner in the soggy Willamette Valley was prosecuted for building a small holding pond on his property and thus depriving the STATE of the water. The pond was legal - putting rain water in it was not. It also is considered illegal to collect and store rain water in barrels although it isn't enforced unless the State wants to make a point.

What are your needs concerning the land? Crops? Livestock? You need a detailed list to share with a realtor, and the simplicity you seek is complicated enough that a professional is your best bet. Make sure you take growing urban boundaries into consideration. When I was a child in a small town we were right at the edge of the boundary between city and country. That house is now several miles inside the incorporated city.

Legion489 likes this.
  6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Welcome to our Monkey Tree... I sure hope you find what your looking for, but being in Commiefornia, is NOT conducive to the Off-Grid HomeSteads... If you can brave the Cold, Southeastern Alaska, has lots of places that can meet your requirements... Outside a City, or Borough, there are very few, if ANY Building Codes, simple Septic Systems, and Water Rights are easy to procure, if you need them. Rain Water is Free, and Unregulated, and NO Property Taxes... Been out here, since '91, and it is a good place to be... No Noise, few neighbors, Wildlife, Fishing & Hunting, and after the first year, the State PAYS YOU to live here.... (Sales Pitch OFF)
    Lots of good info available in our Off-Grid Forum...

7. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Welcome to Survival Monkey, @Shelly !! As stated above, be diligent in your property search in California. Look to see, if land is rural, that a nearby City hasn't designated the are for annexation. That happens and everything changes.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  8. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

It appears parts of N. California may be covered in ashes these days.

Thunder5Ranch likes this.
  9. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Welcome and just to echo others........ There are much friendlier places than Calzakystan............. Errr Of course I am in the Peoples Republic Illinichina so not much room to talk.

Altoidfishfins likes this.
  10. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Welcome from the great State of Jefferson.

11. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

Sorry, But I would get away from CA. wherever you decide to go.Look at the county or areas building codes and permits. it can be a nightmare building in some places. Water and what kind of septic or alternative septic systems are allowed is a big thing.

12. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I think California offers a growing climate that is agreeable to those that want to live off grid. I have seen some of the private crops that people grow in Northern CA and I was impressed. The warmer climate would allow at least 2 harvests and in some areas it is year round depending on what you are growing. Plus sun is abundant if you are going solar.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

You can still only have a dozen of the private crops before...wait...you didn't mean that...never mind.

[peep]

14. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Honestly, if I were looking for states in which to live, California would rank 50 out of 50 unless the northern part actually grows a pair and fully decides to break off from the worst part. Heard noises of this some years ago and then again recently.

Actually a good situation would be to split Nevada and California along an east/west line and merge the southern parts and the northern parts of each state.

15. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Actually I did and these were in CA. Lol!!!!

16. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Won't happen - SoCal needs the agriculture in the north and control over water as well. Nice thought, just like my plan for joining Western Washington and Oregon and the same with the Eastern portions. The new states to be called In Dependence in the west and Liberty in the East.

Altoidfishfins likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7