LED home lighting question

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by SB21, Oct 24, 2017.

1. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I'm thinking of putting in some low voltage led lights in the house. If I pull some of my lighting wires from my breaker panel and reroute them to a low voltage panel, here's the question , will regular 12 or 14 gauge home wiring ,( Romex ) , be to large of a wire. Will the larger wire cause to much pull or cause any kind of voltage drop for 12 volt systems.
    Hope that makes sense.

hitchcock4 likes this.
  2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

You will need the heavier 12 and 14 gauge wire to reduce voltage drop on a 12v system.
    But in most houses the light circuits are tied in to each room's recepticles.
    The way I would wire a house would be to put the lighting on its own circuit like found on industrial and commercial wiring jobs.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    SB21 and sec_monkey like this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

12 and 14ga wire MIGHT do if the wattage of the lights you intent to install is suitable (in other words, you need to know the amperage as well as the voltage.) However, with a nod to OP4, usually lighting circuits are lumped with wall outlets, so you will need to separate the sources. I agree that a separate panel is what you are looking for.

Rather facetiously, I add that there is no such thing as too big a wire for "normal" uses. However, there's apt to be a walletary limit ---. The wire adds nothing significant to loads, i.e., add no "pull" unless the amperage is out of line.

4. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Yea, I didn't think about the receptacles on that circuit. My walls aren't open so that I could run new wires, so I may have to run a few lights were I can run exposed wires, or run thru some Trac. Thanks.

5. hitchcock4

hitchcock4 Monkey++

I'm no electrician -- but aren't you talking about 12V DC (direct current)? My house runs on 120V AC, not DC. You need something to convert the AC to DC.

There are plenty of 12V DC power supplies that plug into a common 120V AC socket that should do the trick for you. But running your own wires with 12V (more than running say 10 feet or so) will result in lost power AND heating wires unless the gauge is thick enough.
    -hitch

6. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

Why are you messing with low voltage lights? Why not just plug 120 VAC LED lights into the wiring you already have and use an inverter to run them from DC if that is the way you want to go? There is no need to reinvent the wheel.

Anyway, I know that wasn't your question but I had to throw it out there.

You cannot do much guessing when using DC. You need accurate numbers on how long your wire runs will be, how much current you are pushing, etc., because these factors are much more meaningful when working with DC than with AC.

DC is a very inefficient way to power stuff over long runs of wire. This is why the commercial grid is AC. Tesla (AC guy) and Edison (DC guy) had a major smackdown over this. Tesla won.

I suggest using an on line voltage drop calculator. Enter your values and it will tell you exactly what you need.

There are many calculators out there but here is a good one: Voltage Drop Calculator

Altoidfishfins and SB21 like this.
  7. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

And you really do not want to use the same type and color wire for two different types of service. Go with the NEC.

sec_monkey likes this.
  8. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I get random power outages sometimes throughout the winter and was just thinking of putting some 12 volt lights as backup mainly. Just thinking I could keep a battery on a battery tender and then flip a switch when I need the lights. I usually have the battery from the boat on a tender anyway, especially thru the winter.
    Lol. Yea I'm not really trying to reinvent the wheel, I guess I'm just trying to put a snow tread on it. :ROFLMAO:

oldawg, HK_User, sec_monkey and 2 others like this.
  9. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Typically, how long do the power cuts last?

Here in Cambodia, we have 220ac power. They sell LED lamps for Edison sockets. When mains power fails, they continue to illuminate for some time. Maybe these are available (for your voltage) in your area?

sec_monkey likes this.
  10. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

i HAVEN'T seen those here Paul .
    Best just have a small genset or Li ion battery 's & flash lights .
    It comes down to price .
    You should have done the house in LED's already , saves on the power bill & many were offering a rebate

Sloth

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    sec_monkey and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  11. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I'm using LED 120 volt ac bulbs now. I use kerosene and propane for heat, plus putting in a wood stove this year. I've got flashlights , batteries , oil lamps , and a 5500 watt portable generator. I can cook with, kero, propane , or wood. I guess it's not something I desperatly need, just looking for a little more convience with the 12 volt DC lighting ,and it never hurts to have another backup. Blackouts have gone from a few hours to almost a week.

oldawg and sec_monkey like this.
  12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

#12 Romex will work just fine for 12 Vdc LED Lighting, if the runs are less that 50 Ft from the Central Distribution Panel.... When i built my Beach Cabin, I installed both 120Vac, and 12Vdc Power Systems. They both have Breaker Panels... There are Side by Side Lighting Fixtures in each Room, one for each System. There are the double number of 120Vac Outlet Plugins, than one would normally expect.. One can NEVER have to many Outlets... The Energy to run all this comes from an Onan Single Cyl Water Cooled 3Kw Diesel Generator... It supplies a Trace 3624 Inverter/Charger connected to a pair of 240AmpHour 8D Batteries. The backup Power Source is a 240Watt Propane fueled TEG, that burns 1USG per Day, when running. This supplies the 12Vdc System, thru a 24/12 Vdc Dc to Dc 20Amp Converter, that charges another 8D Battery.. This runs the Backup LED Lighting, Refer, Comms, 2.4Ghz Internet Connection back to my Cabin, (1.5 Miles) Laptop, and the Bose Music System... The Onan Genset is water cooled, via Heat Exchanger, and i have a Radiator with Electric Fan, mounted inside the Insulated Cabin to provide Heat, if needed, when the Genset is running. Primary Heat is from a small Sears WoodStove... Cooking and Kitchen Refer is basic Propane fueled, but Refer is a RV ThreeWay Powered Unit, (120Vdc/12Vdc/Propane) So I can use any of the Energy Inputs to keep things Cold... I have spent 30 Years, engineering this System, and it just works...

SB21, sec_monkey and tacmotusn like this.
  13. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

For years before LED came out I took incandesant bulbs and broke the bulb and cleaned up the wire and made coils that would accept the 12 volt quartz bulbs . They were not very efficient but being 12 volts ,they were the best I could do at the time , but this allowed m to take any standard lamp and convert it to 12 volt in my home . Later when I discovered those motion sensor lights at harbor freight for $9. I buy them and distribute them all over the place .
    And for them I run a 6 volt line .
    There are reasonable LED bundle lights you can get on line that ae 12 volt I have every where as well . these are all on one line #14 wire , roughly 100 feet from the battery.
    I also run small 12 volt automotive fans in the bed rooms , I may switch to computer fans when these wear out.

14. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Convenience and another option, is a pretty good idea, in my book.

You would feel at home, here.

ghrit likes this.
  15. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Sounds like you definetly have the system worked out. I thought of rigging up a radiator setup so the wood stove could heat the water and the radiator and fan would be in a room that won't be able to get the heat from the stove. I'll have to rig up a pump for this as well.
    I don't have 30 years left in me to amass your setup, just pokin around with what I got. :ROFLMAO:

16. BTPost

If you do it right you will NOT NEED A PUMP, Put a Copper Tubing Coil in either the FireBox, or inside of the bottom section of the Stove Pipe, and connect that to a Hot Water Tank, that has NO Insulation, and is setup at yhe same level, as the bottom of the lower most Coil Entrance Pipe... This then will comprise what is known as a ThermalSyphon System, and the Temp Differential between the Hot Water exiting the Top of the Coil Pipe and the Temp of the Water entering the bottom extrance Pipe of the Coil will drive the circulation of the watet... Now if this Hot Water System is also used as the Domestic Hot Water System, you get notonly the radiation heat from the surface of the Tank, but Domestic Hot Water, on Demand, by using a small RV Pump to pressurize the Hot & Cold. water System....
    This is the System we have in our Main Cabin, using a four Turn Copper Coil of 1/2 Inch Pipe that sits in our Diesel fueled, Open Flame, Pot Burner Cook Stove.. We have a 100 USG Galvinized Hot Water Tank that is in the Main Room, on the other side wall from the Kitchen, which acts as a Heat Radiator, to heat the Main Room. Our Cook Stove heats the whole Cabin very effectively untill th e Temps drop below 25F, outside... Below that we Fire up the Wood Burner, in the Main Room, for suplimental heat as required... There are pictures of this whole System posted here on the Monkey, in th e Off-Grid Forum...

arleigh and SB21 like this.
  17. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Great info. I will definetly look up those pics. Thanks a bunch. (y)

18. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I did a quick scan thru there and didn't find the post with your system pics. But I'll look again later, when more time permits. But I did learn one thing. If there's a Genset for sale somewhere, you know about it . :ROFLMAO:

19. BTPost

I see them every day, but only post them if i kno w someone is looking for one...

20. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

My system is the same type of setup for winter .
    We run 50psig with a jacketed SS extruded 316 3/4 " sch 40 pipe I installed inside the burner box above the wood .
    Has heated water since 1992 for us.

Sloth

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7