Legacy foods

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Kingfish, Mar 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Hi everyone , I am looking at getting a 720 meal kit from Legacy foods. Has anyone here purchased from them ? is there a better deal out there? Can I expect 15 years shelf life? they claim 25. Best Value Food Storage

I am looking to add to my self reliance plan with some real 15 to 30 year " LONG TERM FOOD IN THE DEHYDRATED TYPE ". Looking at Mountain house, and many others. This legacy stuff seems to be the best weight and calories for the money.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2016
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Before you make a purchase like that, I would request a sample pack of their food. There could be a reason they are so cheap. There is a difference in tastes. My thought is sometimes cheap isn't the best. Just think if it is not good tasting and S never HTF you will have to eat that stuff in 10-20 years.

Also- I have a few of those buckets. I have cheap brand and I have mountain house. Makes me nervous because I just received some food from Valley foods and one of the packets was open. I know I am supposed to just leave the bucket as is- sealed tight but I wonder if any of my packets in my buckets have popped open.

Mountainman, AD1, Tikka and 1 other person like this.
  3. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Have you tried Legacy foods?

4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

No I haven't tried Legacy but definitely call them and ask for a sample. If they want to sell their product then they should have no problem giving you a free sample.

Tikka and Ganado like this.
  5. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

image. Never tried it. If this is what we are talking about I could not afford it for 32 people. $1,400 would almost feed two people 2,200 calories a day for a year in my group, though I am sure it is easier and not as boring.

6. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

What is nice is that these are all freeze dried just add water meals. We already have roughly two year supply of food for 6 people , 4 adults and two children. Im looking to add some easy make meals that are not the average beans and rice etc. Lots of breakfast meals in there, but yes 1400.00 is still high for what you get. I can buy a lot more food in bulk but have to package it myself. Still looking.

Motomom34 likes this.
  7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@Kingfish you mentioned a lot of breakfast meals. I store quick oats, just add hot water and they are ready to eat. Plus quick oats are good for cooking with. I also store pancake mix, the just add water type. Easy quick & cheap. Plus with pancakes you can add to the mix and change things up so they won't get boring.

Mountainman, VHestin and Tikka like this.
  8. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@Kingfish
    Never knock rice and beans. A cup or so of rice and a a squirrel is a protein filled meal.

Longer-Term Food Supply

IMO, the trick is having enough to get through winter until you can harvest what you grow.

BlueDuck likes this.
  9. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

@Kingfish I do have enough just add water food storage at my place for the first two week after a catastrophic event. Too much will be going on during that time period.
    @Tikka it takes a large garden to feed one person year round, much less a half dozen or more. I figure 1/2 acre plus per person.

10. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Oh, Im not knocking rice and beans. We have Buckets of that stuff. I am trying to add some add water and stir type long term preps for mixing in some diversity . Looking at Mountain house, Yoder, and other canned meats and stews and such. I am trying to get some stuff that lasts 20 years. or more. Right now other than the rice and beans most of our preps are rotated out every two years. Standard grocery store canned goods and such. We have a two year plan when we add in the rice and Beans. I want to add in a third year of longer term preps.

Ganado likes this.
  11. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

12. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

That 2nd link @stg58 has some links to a nice stainless steal water filtration system that looks comparable to a berk at a cheaper price. nice find

@Kingfish did you ever decide on a brand? If yes do you mind sharing your thought process on why you decided on whatever brand you decided on?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2016
    stg58 likes this.
  1. JC Refuge
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. JC Refuge
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. RJFab
  8. duane
  9. TnAndy
  10. john316
  11. DKR
  12. DKR
  13. apache235
  14. Ganado
  15. alaskachick
  16. Motomom34
  17. Bandit99
  18. Asia-Off-Grid