Lenovo Caught (3rd Time) Pre-Installing Spyware on its Laptops

Discussion in 'Technical' started by stg58, Dec 18, 2015.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

Reinforces my decision never to buy a Lenovo product.
    A Lenovo PC running W10 you have spyware coming and going..

Lenovo collects usage data on ThinkPad, ThinkCentre and ThinkStation PCs
    Lenovo seems to be testing the boundaries of trust.

First came the Superfish scandal where they were found to be pre-loading ad software that was so poorly implemented that it left victims/customers vulnerable to serious security flaws.

Gopherman likes this.
  2. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey++

Linux has become much easier to use over the years. I first tried it in the late 90s and found I wasn't good at remembering the rather cryptic command lines.
    Guess the die-hard geekies can still do it that way, but most versions have Windows-like interfaces now and it seems there are fewer and fewer things that Windows can do that Linux can't. I use a dual boot and only boot into Windows when it's necessary.

stg58, chelloveck and duane like this.
  3. ditch witch

ditch witch resident bacon hoarder Site Supporter+

As Trunk Monkey knows, the Mr. recently got an Alienware computer with Win10 that came preinstalled with all sorts of nastiness. He pulled it from the box, plugged it in, and that's when the merriment began. Not only was it downloading crap and covering the screen with multiple popups, it wouldn't let him visit AVG or Spybot websites. I got into the history and found a lot of references for d.7769domain.com. Any attempt to visit a page on how to remove 7769domain brought back a blank page with a message about being unable to load it. I could load the same page from my own system no problem, but it wouldn't let you remove it on his. Tried to manually remove some stuff, wouldn't let us. Naturally Dell insisted we downloaded the virus ourselves. Never mind he hadn't even opened the browser to go download Chrome yet. It came bundled in on that system, don't care what they claim. I spent close to 6 hours on the phone with tech support who turned up 18 malware/viruses before the system shut down and they had to send us a recovery disc. 48 hours from opening the box to blue screen o' death. Many more hours going back and forth with Trunk Monkey (thank you so much darlin), multiple resets deleting everything on the drive and all day with 4 different programs looking for malware, but it seems to be running clean. For now.

kellory, stg58 and Altoidfishfins like this.
  4. I'm thinking about using a VM and running Linux that way. Has anyone on here tried that? How'd it work out?
    William

5. ghrit

ghrit Ambulatory anachronism Administrator Founding Member

Hmph. So much for considering Lenovo or Dell for the new laptop.

Altoidfishfins likes this.
  6. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey++

Never tried it.

7. BTPost

BTPost Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator

I run Windoz Xp in a VM, on my iMac.... Safest way to run Windoz, I have found... I can aways just reLoad an Archived copy if I contract a virus...

8. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2015
  9. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

My choice..
    Speed is not really needed.
    At work they had two pallets of small form factor (SFF)
    3.2 gb PC's stacked up for..... wherever.
    I snagged six blew the dust out of them and robed the memory and small HD's off of eighteen more.

Reformated as a Linux box ..Or you buy a "clean" copy of windoze and move on.

Reformatting and loading a fresh OS feels very good.

One example, no connection. No Keyboard, mouse or monitor with OS..

HP Desktop Computer PC Core 2 Duo @ 3.0Ghz, 2GB, 160GB Windows 7 Pro 64 BIT

Edit: posting on a SFF Ubuntu PC.

The best way to describe an Off-Lease Computer is to use the analogy of an automobile. A buyer purchases a new car, via lease, for a period of time-usually 1-3 years. At lease end, having a lot of use life remaining, the vehicle is turned in, tested, cleaned and resold as a certified pre-owned vehicle. Similarly, a major US corporation purchases a new computer, via lease, for a period of time-usually 1-5 years. At lease end, having a lot of use life remaining, the computer is turned in, tested, cleaned and resold as a Certified, Pre-Owned Computer."

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  10. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I eat vegetables. My friends are not vegetables.

Win10 is the drop of the hammer on computer privacy and security. Bill and his chums want to know your every keystroke because they think they own you.

N4M: Not for me!

11. Bill Gates has, for all practical purposes, not been involved with Microsoft for many years. He handed over the reins to Steve Ballmer, who, in turn, executed his exit strategy at the appropriate moment: pumping up receivables to coax yet another multi-million dollar bonus out of the board and then taking over the LA Clippers as a retirement hobby.

Both Mr. Gates and Mr. Ballmer knew at the start that the worst mistake would be to stay around too long. Microsoft will be handed off to a series of bureaucrats whom will supervise its transition into an old-line industrial firm that produces familiar products which are always just shy of everyone's point-of-pain.

Oh, and by-the-way, they do own us. If you don't believe me, try to get a job that doesn't require you to know Windows or Mac. At this point, that's just a Ford vs. Chevy distinction, but Linux geeks are persona non grata in American industry.

William Warren

BTPost likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7