Lessons from Haiti's latest earth quake.

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by duane, Aug 18, 2021.

1. duane

duane Monkey+++

1 Outside help doesn't arrive for several days . Roads, bridges, etc are blocked or destroyed.
    2 Food and water don't arrive for days. Power is off, roads blocked, food supplies limited.
    3 Medical care and supplies are limited. Minor injuries untreated can kill you in few days.
    4 Local authorities are in same situation and overwhelmed. Don't expect help in short run.
    5 Human nature does not change, disaster brings out both best and worst behavior.

Lessons I see from this. Don't have all eggs in one basket, cache in reinforced storage, hidden, and outside of main area is necessary. Given the nature of the event, peace full quiet time to total destruction in a couple minutes, close by cache should be like a bug out bag, but assume that you are arriving injured and in your clothes or PJ's. Must include food for a few days, tools to rescue any of family that may still be trapped, clothing for season, water purification and a way of getting rid of body wastes, temporary shelter, medical supplies up to immediate care for cuts, scrapes, broken bones and crushing injuries. Of course with some behaviors, it may well be necessary to include fire arms.

Run the earth quake, tornado, flood, hurricane, forest fire. etc and how you would do in short run if not only power out, but you have 30 seconds to leave and primary shelter and supplies are no longer available and bugging out is not a short run option other than being a refugee.

Stay away from crowds, cache well, prep as well as you can, and hope
    you can use what you have and your skills to get thru it.

Given that more than a few of the members of this forum have survived a natural disaster, and are even now facing flood, forest fire, and tornado's, what have you learned and what would you suggest? A few inches of dirt will provide cover from forest fires but be totally worthless in a flood for example.

r

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  2. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

It is not just the initial quake but following aftershocks that can be just as devastating. So any movie you make toward recovery should use caution in anticipation of aftershock.
    Though I have anchored my tanks it is still possible that a quake can defy such anchorage and things break loose. Have a plan in that event if you can to see that all is not lost.
    My first protocol is to shut off the propane tank in such an event and figure on relighting things after things settle down. This particular house is not that good so I anticipate it collapsing, If I can get out to shut off the gas before gas lines are compromised and fire erupts it is likely I can make do and survive the rest of the event. I will likely have to tear some of the house apart to get to my preps but it is better than losing them to fire. How hard will it be to get to your preps if the house is collapsed?

duane and Motomom34 like this.
  3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Don't live in a known high risk area for earthquakes.

duane and johnbb like this.
  4. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

How hard will it be to get to your preps if the house is collapsed?

Not too hard, I have a concrete basement. And a secondary support wall. And yes, Alaska has earthquakes all the time...

duane likes this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Yup, some BIG, and most either small, or not in a densely populated areas… but they do happen regularly… A Ring of Fire thing…

duane likes this.
  6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Though an area may not be prone to earthquake, and never see one if this country went to war you'd be feeling them and their rath.
    There is a marine base 30 odd miles from here and you can feel the shock wave every time they practice. my windows rattle each time.
    A tree falling on the house or someone using a vehicle as a battering ram to gain entrance to your home or mer.ely bullets riddling through the house.
    Post some consequential event there will be no fire department, so if no one comes to your aid, how will you put out the fire?
    I have separate water(150 gallons) tanks filled and preloaded with pressure to meet that need if required, fire extinguishers as well.

duane likes this.
  7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

How often do folks check their buried cache? I have read about people burying stuff but have never heard of anyone digging it up to make sure things are still good. I had a disaster when there was an ice jam, water backed up and flowed into a normally dry area. Glad I discovered the damage early. I lost some preps but was lucky I didn't discover the mess when I absolutely needed the food.

Gator 45/70 and duane like this.
  8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The last big earth quake California had in the 1990s was all I needed to know, total destruction, no one prepared, stay far away anywhere that is a population center and has earthquakes. Outcome is always the same.

1. DKR
  2. Brokor
  3. Ura-Ki
  4. DKR
  5. 3M-TA3
  6. Seepalaces
  7. deMolay
  8. Meat
  9. hot diggity
  10. arleigh
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. DKR