lever actions and single shots

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by oldman1111, Jul 12, 2021.

1. oldman1111

oldman1111 Monkey

Does anybody like leveractions and single shot rifles like i do? To me there is nothing like a good lever or single shot.
    Here are a few of the ones i have-
    Rossi 92-38special-.357 mag
    Rossi 92- .44 special-.44 mag trapper
    Rossi 92- .44 special -.44 mag rifle 24" barrel
    Rossi 92-.45 colt
    Marlin 94-.41 mag
    Winchester 94-30-30

single shot rifles
    Springfield trapdoor rifle - .45-70
    Springfield trapdoor carbine - 45-70
    Remington rolling block - .44-40
    Browning high wall -45-70
    As you can see i like anything that starts with a 4

2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Maybe? I see Henry has came out with a magazine fed lever rifle, In several calibers too.

duane, HK_User and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. Dannyboy53

Dannyboy53 Monkey

Nice collection of arms. I'm fond of lever guns, I'm left handed so bolt guns are awkward for me. Have you deer hunted with the .38/.357, if so how did it do?

duane, HK_User, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

You need an Marlin Alaska Guide Gun for your collection… Stainless 45-70 Lever action… helps in both areas and just what will take anything walking on the American Continents…

Brokor, Altoidfishfins, duane and 4 others like this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Edit; Kills on both ends too...
    [gun]

6. oldman1111

oldman1111 Monkey

I have killed one deer with the .357 mag,but most of the time i have used the .45-70. If im able to hunt this year i will use a Marlin model 94 in .41 mag. I have also a Smith Wesson model 57 41 mag revolver i hope to kill a deer with.
    The .44 mag has got to be too much for these old hands.
    [flag]

7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Levers YES, single shots, NOPE, only front stuffers of .44 cal and up!
    I have a couple of Marlins, a 336 in .35 Rem. and an original 1895 .45/70 as well as a newer pre remlin XLR stainless .45/70
    I run the Winchester 1895's a lot, usually ether a take down saddle ring rifle in .30/06 or a .405 rifle, both made in the 1920's.
    I collect the Model 95's and have many of the various calibers they were offered in, .30/40 Krag (.30 U.S. Gov) in a really slick take down, a .38/55 a 40/72, and a 9.3/74R as well as a .30/30 and a really rare .270 Win!
    I was late to the party on the Winny 95's, preferring Mauser type bolt actions, mainly the Springfield 1903 sporters, but I also run 3 Ruger Hawk Eye Guides, one in .30/06, one in .338 Win Mag ( my Favorite brush buster) and one custom made in Ruger's custom shop in .500 Jeffry's! I also have an original 1923 Holland and Holland commercial Mauser in .375 Weatherby Magnum for Alaska and our local PNW ( Elk) Swamp Donkeys, and lastly, a copy of a very rare and famous bolt action, a Fredrick Zellous Jamison H&H in .500 Jeffry's that I use quite a bit for local Elk and Bear, it's not as slick or swift as the Ruger, but maximizes the cartridge's accuracy and hitting power, plus, it looks and feels amazing!
    I also hunt with and enjoy front stuffers, mostly in .50 caliber, but also use .54 and 62 when need arises, preferring a "Frontiersmen" version of a Vermont or Pennsylvania long rifle!
    Lastly, I hunt and shoot vintage Colt 1855 revolving rifles, usually ether .44 caliber or .50 caliber conical!

8. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

All I've got is just a Marlin 336 in 30/30 with a Rossi shotgun in 20 gauge.

9. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I have a Handi-Rifle/Shotgun with .30-30, 16 ga and 20 ga barrels. I would like to get a lever-action .30-30, either Winchester or Marlin, good hunting round and easy to reload, especially with lead bullets.

oldawg, Oddcaliber, duane and 3 others like this.
  10. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

If you Lever afficinados haven't experienced a Model 95 Winchester, you really should try one, it'll change ya! Everything good about the lever action in modern pointy bullet rifle calibers like .30/06! They never made them in a "Long action" or Magnum, but if .405 or .458 don't do the job, you got other problems! Admitted, the 9.3 is about as powerful as you could ever want, there is just something special about "Big Medicine" .405 that really knocks your socks off, once you sample that, you won't want anything else, .45/70 what???

11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

You need to try the 457 magnum then.

Oddcaliber, HK_User and Ura-Ki like this.
  12. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I love singleshots, and have several. Remington 514, Stevens Model 15, BRNO ZBK110 in. 22 Hornet, a couple old Mossberg. 22s, and my best is a BSA International Mk. II in. 22LR (a Martini action). It qualifies as a lever-action, along with my Henry Goldenboy.

Gator 45/70, Oddcaliber and duane like this.
  13. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Marlin 458 SOCOM

14. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I got a side by side double .45-70 that I'm fond of. Also got a .45-70 line throwing gun that the receiver will take a host of other calibers and guages they manufactured back in the 50s.

Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and Oddcaliber like this.
  15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Never seen one but.....?

Ura-Ki and HK_User like this.
  16. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I am going to get my husband a lever action 45-70 for Christmas. What kind do you guys recommend?

17. BTPost

Marlin Stainless Alaskan Guide Gun… Not the cheapest, but has a fantastic Track Record with Alaska State Troopers, Fish & Game Employees, and Alaska Hunting Guides…

SB21, mysterymet, ghrit and 2 others like this.
  18. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Pre Remington Marlin XLR! Hands down, the best running of them all at a decent price!
    [​IMG]

jim2, SB21, mysterymet and 2 others like this.
  19. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I hate the Guide, it's got WAY more recoil then the others, and you give up too much of that cartridges performance with that short of a barrel! the XLR is way better for about the same money, and recoil is nothing!

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  20. BTPost

It really depends on where on choses to live, and hunt, between the two rifles above… Where I live, one rarely gets a shot at game over 100 yds, so the shorted barrel is better for the underbrushed Rain forests that I live and hunt in…. Up in the Un-brushy Tundra the longer barrel makes more sense, but if one is hunting in scrub-brush Open areas in the interior of Alaska, where your visibility is limited, significantly, and an Alaskan Brownie can jump out of the brush, and be on you, in a minute or two, the Guide Gun is the better choice.. Assuming the shooter is of stout muscled build, and can handle a bit more recoil…. I wouldn’t suggest it as a primary Hunting Party Weapon, for the Customer, but for the guide, who is the Hunters backup, and protection, It is the way to go.. Fairly light, short, and Hugh Knockdown Power.. This is why it is designated as a Guide Gun…. If you have to lug it around, every day, for weeks at a time, it will serve one well…

SB21, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7