Linux Lite a live version that does not alter your computer

Discussion in 'GNU/Linux' started by ochit, Mar 30, 2018.

1. ochit

ochit Monkey+

Linux Lite can be downloaded as an .ISO file and burned to a DVD with image burning software most DVD burning software has this already.

Set your BIOS to boot from CD DVD drive boot it and your running Linux Lite very similar menus the program names throw you but you will find software to do just about everything it comes with a version of office just know when you save it trys to save as a .ODT a drop down list will allow you to save as a windows compatible .doc or .xdoc

it changes nothing it all runs in ram so when your ram is loaded it gets slower but you can test drive Linux without worrying your going to screw up windows but in my opinion windows in a screw up. I used windows 2.0 up to windows 7 but around windows ME i got real dissatisfied and went looking for something different and tried a bunch. Not all were good but Linux Lite seemed to be able to install on most computers hardware, easy to setup networking and was stable with it's install remove software program and you can reload for new software repositories additions of programs there is also a update program and a tweek program. and it's free windows nickel and dimes you to death. and one day hope to make you boot from the cloud so you have no software only a rental it will be like having a redbox rental machine in your home more like ransomware if you wna to look at your video pay up.

Network boot now there is a nightmare how do you know whats wrong if there is nothing on your end to tell from.

Wild Trapper and Dont like this.
  2. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

:LOL: :LOL:

we prefer BSD/Unix/Linux Heavy ;) ;)

looks like it is ubuntu/debian based

ochit likes this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Hey Sec, can you build me an ISO that would boot my iBook Macs?

sec_monkey likes this.
  4. sec_monkey

yep in theory if the apple UEFI BIOS will allow it to boot (y)

we aint got nothin to test it on though :(

5. ochit

ochit Monkey+

I have an old Panasonic toughbook 1.6GHZ runs fine on linux but I am using a Puppy version on it Puppy is small and tight actually can fit on a CD or a mini flash drive. I use this as a media player music in MP3 and videos I have a ton of movies converted to MP4 for size sake.

Brokor likes this.
  6. sec_monkey

Puppy is interestin (y)

there are some versions that are even smaller but do not have the latest stuff [winkthumb]

7. ochit

ochit Monkey+

my wireless keyboard took dump I found an old PS2 mini keyboard and it seems to work fine until I get another wireless.

8. ochit

ochit Monkey+

thats the beautiful thing it runs on older hardware 7 to 10 years out but can work on newer equipment as well.
    Puppy can run live off a CD or DVD and not alter anything on your system,

9. sec_monkey

what all ya got in that thing?

got zee specs?

10. ochit

ochit Monkey+

If your asking about my Panasonic Toughbook CF-29 1,6GHZ I think it's got 1GB ram and I updated the HDD from 80GB to 140GB if memory (mine) serves has a DVD got rid of the floppy its running slacko puppy 6.3.0

I have another just like this I was going to format and try Xenialpup 7,5 CE 32 bit version. here is a link
    Download latest Puppy Linux release

some versions are better as they have software that easily recognize hardware some are better at setting up networking that is why it's good to run a live version first see if it sees all hardware and connects to your network,

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    Brokor, Dunerunner and Wild Trapper like this.
  11. sec_monkey

[coo]

12. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Wish I could understand this language ya'll are speakin' . Ya'll ain't from here , are ya' ??

sec_monkey likes this.
  13. sec_monkey

we is speakin puter is all SB :) :) (y) (y)

aint nuthin to it once ya get the hang of it :) :)

[chopper] [chopper]

14. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

SUDO is a language?

sec_monkey likes this.
  15. sec_monkey

ya could say Unix plus Linux are a language, we speak both :) :)

sudo is a religion ;) ;) some folks use it religiously some folks do not :) :)

[winkthumb] [winkthumb]

16. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Anyone speak Cobol?

17. aardbewoner

aardbewoner judge a human on how he act,not on look and talk.

@Witch Doctor 01 I do but the book cobol on ibm 360 is under so much dust :)
    But even now the look for programmers, a 60 year old language.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7