Linux? Windows? WTF

Discussion in 'Technical' started by enloopious, May 17, 2022.

1. enloopious

enloopious Rocket Surgeon

For you monkeys that use Linux, Unix, ETC what versions or flavors do you find the most reliable? I've noticed a lot of my boxes will just stop working. For example I have a media server in my basement running Ubuntu that just wont start. Was up and running and then one day just refused to turn on. It gets half way through POST and freezes.

I have a removable hard drive that goes from Win10 laptop to Fedora and they seem to be actively fighting with each other like jealous parents over a kid. Windows says that there is an error on the hard drive every time I move files from Fedora to it and vice versa.

On my gaming computer I have dual boot Win10 and Mint and one of them seems to be damaging the video card drivers or hardware. Are windows and Linux actively fighting each other? It really seems like it. Why isn't there an OS that just works? Can't we all just get along?

2. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Mint has been solid for me. Only issue is memory leaks from web browsers that eventually requires a reboot. Winwoes 10 is restricted to media servers and blue iris and they aren't allowed Internet access.

Never had any issues with hardware going from Windows to Linux, but no dual boot scenarios.

3. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

noticed many errors on HD's with recent windows updates... then a few days later works fine???

strange behavior here and there...

also recently am getting a odd lag in everything... browsing gaming whatever... lag...

and some interesting pauses n such at odd times...

like it has to pass through some kinda verification or test or something maybe???

enloopious likes this.
  4. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Just a thought since this is a gaming computer and likely has a spiffy video card - are you using generic Linux and Windows drivers or are you getting the latest drivers from the manufacturer?

I don't game so use CPU based graphics and that may be the reason I'm not having issues.

enloopious likes this.
  5. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

you have a Hiren's Boot CD to test hardware, right? POST would be prior to operating system load, and so shouldn't matter what OS is loaded. Disk formats can be shared between them under the right circumstances, but they don't really like each other's formats natively. I have both accessing the same SAMBA share, but then they aren't in control of the disk that way.
    You act as if a working, functional O/S is something that grows on trees. How many man-centuries do imagine went into just one of them?

enloopious and sec_monkey like this.
  6. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

.. .. tis a hardware or BIOS prob or OC failure if it freezes durin POST cuz like Idahoser said it aint gettin ta da OS .. ..

.. .. dere is BIOS versions dat OC automatically if ya let it .. .. not all uv em do dat .. .. enuff of em do do dat .. ..

.. .. test da hardware reel careful wid wut Idahoser said or git a pro ta do it fer ya .. ..

Last edited: May 17, 2022
    enloopious likes this.
  7. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Mint recently upgraded to v.20.3 no problems. Use Win 7 / Mint dual boot on my laptop no problems. (It's actually a three way boot, DOS 6.22 / Win 7 / Mint).

I've tried dual boot Mint / Win 10 and Win 10 it seems wouldn't allow for a dual boot. Been awhile so I've forgotten the details.

In my experience with Win 10 it's that or Mint, not both.

Don't know how you have your partitioning set up, but I have a partition for DOS 6.22, one for Windows 7, and a third one for Mint. I never keep different OS's on the same partition.

sec_monkey and 3M-TA3 like this.
  8. JediWoodsman

JediWoodsman Insomnia Monkey

With the help of @sec_monkey I got most of my PCs moved over to Mint and it has fixed a lot of my networking issues and just runs better on my older computers.

As far as POST/Boot issues, try booting with the case open, Some motherboards actually have a LED on them to signal boot errors (1 flash for memory issue, 2 flashes for something else)
    You'll have to search for what they mean, but could be helpful. As mentioned before, if it doesn't make it out of POST then it isn't software.

-JW

-

sec_monkey likes this.
  9. Altoidfishfins

sec_monkey likes this.
  10. aardbewoner

aardbewoner judge a human on how he act,not on look and talk.

You could download a recent ubuntu and look up how to put that on a usb stick (if your computer can boot from that) else burn a DVD as most linuxes can be used as liveboot. that work on every computer no matter what OS.
    What many do not know is that all share the same basis, the KERNEL, and add things around that. Reliability comes from the time spend on testing new things and react on problems.
    Cynical fact : you need a bigger computer just to stream you tube than many compagnies had as a mainframe.

sec_monkey and 3M-TA3 like this.
  11. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

DOS 6.22? I consider myself an old nerd, but why?

12. enloopious

enloopious Rocket Surgeon

Yeah that server is pretty old. I've been keeping it going with tape, gum, and good thoughts but it might be time to switch it. I'm going to perform a seance and maybe get winNT or something nostalgic going on it. Surprisingly the MacMINI has been running strong for about 10 years with MacOS10 cheetah or some cat and no problems. Not a big fan of Mac but out of everything that ones lasted the longest... but then again it IS a version of Linux.

CraftyMofo likes this.
  13. Altoidfishfins

I have a small collection of old Kenwood UHF and VHF hand held radios whose programming is based on DOS, and it must be native DOS for the programming to run.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7