1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

Gear Review Little Giant ladders

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by stg58, Jun 2, 2013.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

When I first saw Little Giant ladders on TV they looked "ronco vegomatic like"
    I was at a friends and he had Revolution model 17 and it worked well and looked like good construction handy, folds up into a small package and light.

I don't know if I would use a 32" foot one but for odd steps and short use they look OK and they are USA made.

2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I like them, but everyone I have seen, was much heavier than a standard step or extension ladder. Telescoping ladders have their uses as well, and store in small places.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Ambulatory anachronism Administrator Founding Member

Agree. A friend of mine has one, it's heavy as sin to go with versatile beyond belief.
    kellory likes this.
  4. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey Site Supporter

Don't know about the recent models, but be sure and keep the locking pins lubed and never leave one outside for an extended time!

Other than that I used one to build my place and that started back in 1980. heavy? Yes. Good accessorys? Yes. Nice to have the adjutsable legs, paint tray and scafflod parts.
  5. stg58

I did some searches and the Little Giant Megalite came up for $179 at costco.com looking at the reviews this came up:

"Just purchased the Little Giant since it was on sale at Costco this month. First thing I noticed were the welds on the ladder it wasn't as clean as the ones I've seen. Once I saw the welds I looked at where it was made and of course it's now made in China. These ladders used to be made in the USA. Hope it holds up as long as the other ones I've seen."

I hope Little Giant is not following the usual trend of slowly migrating manufacturing to china...
  6. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey Site Supporter

OT but we will soon be seeing the next generation of smart phones will be made in the USA, Fort Worth Texas.
    Texas plant to make first US-assembled smartphones - Yahoo! News
    I have some bit of experience with off shore products. We found them to be poorly made, bad specs, late arrival and just plane junk.

Now being made in the USA.
  7. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey..... Moderator Site Supporter++

We looked at these for our service vans use, but the were to big and bulky for day to day use. Would be nice around the house for certain task with odd reaches for painting or repairs but other than that not much good for me.
  8. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

I've got one, and I love it. Yes, it is indeed heavy, and it would not be my first choice if I had to lug it around routinely. For me though, needing a ladder infrequently, but never knowing how tall or sturdy of a ladder I may need, it works; be it for retrieving a cat from a tree, changing a bulb in a cathedral ceiling, or putting up a ridiculously large Christmas tree.
  9. jasonl6

jasonl6 Monkey+

Don't be fooled by Werner ect, Get the real deal, We have two at our church, the real little giant and the Werner little giant. The real deal one is much heavier construction. If you have the room it's better to have several different ladders. If not these are great.

10. stg58

11. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Have one for years... tough as nails and weighs a ton... actually thought about making a special dolly for it so I could just tilt it and roll it to where I needed it :0) but once you get it there... there's no doubt its stable and won't "let you down"... too bad so many things are "outsourced" and quality suffers... but you get what you pay for in so many ways....
  12. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Moderator Moderator Founding Member

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2015
  13. natshare

natshare Monkey+

Actually, I have one of the Werner ladders, that I picked up from an Amazon gold box deal, a few years ago. While it hasn't seen heavy use (just the occasional foray up onto the roof, to fix shingles or clean gutters), it IS a class III ladder, capable of handling even 300 pound fatso's like me, without any difficulty. I have the 22' version, and would feel utterly at ease in extending it all the way, and climbing to the top. Much more so than some of the aluminum and fiberglas extension ladders I've dealt with in the past!!
  14. stg58

15. stg58

The Pro series model 22 arrived today and it is much better built than their standard versions. The steps are thicker double welded, the hinges are larger and lock tabs are twice as large and being anodized should reduce oxidization.

I like it but it is heavier but not as heavy and awkward as my 32" Werner type 1AA ladder.
  16. shamrock75

shamrock75 Monkey

As far as a versatile around the house ladder I've got the cosco worlds greatest 13Ft ladder.It's very well made and has had no issues in the 12 years I've had it.The price I paid for this ladder was $88.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary