Loss of Power/Home Heating- Are you Prepared?!

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Yard Dart, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Winds dying down as power restored; some schools still closed

This week we experienced high winds in the region, which in the NW equates to trees down and power outages normally. Per PSE which serves a majority of the region, there where over 200K without power this week, for various periods of outages. At the same time, the temperatures here have plummeted making those without power, very uncomfortable and miserable. Many have lost power for days.... and plenty of them have had to go to their families homes elsewhere, shelters or hotels with power, due to the fact they are unprepared for the cold weather & loss of power for their heaters.

Are you ready for loss of power....... and able to fend off the cold? Post-SHTF, shelter will be a daily issue of survival to stay warm and out of the elements. What have you done to be ready for that circumstance?

jimLE and AmericanRedoubt1776 like this.
  2. Yard Dart

Residents survive wind, prepare for cold

3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

The new house is getting a backup generator that runs off of natural gas. Might not help long if there is a natural disaster or a WROL event that disrupts gas service, but we get an blackout at least once a year. Unfortunately air quality regs prevent us from burning wood in my area or we would have a wood stove as well.

mysterymet likes this.
  4. Yard Dart

Have you looked at the duel fuel units.... you could use NG as a primary, with a diesel belly tank... just a thought.

Tully Mars likes this.
  5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Didn't realize there was such a critter - the project is on hold until the city fixes a sewage issue so I can take a look before the trigger gets pulled.

kellory and Yard Dart like this.
  6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

You might also have a look at tri fuel setups, NG, propane, and diesel. Note that the different fuels might affect the machine's output rating.

Yard Dart likes this.
  7. Yard Dart

8. ghrit

Just had a looksee for trifuel diesel sets. I strongly suspect those can't be had in residential size units, but NG, propane, and gasoline are pretty readily available.

9. Yard Dart

On the resi side the options are a bit more limited....
    @BTPost may have some recommendations as well.

10. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I didn't think it would be possible to have a motor with 2 different combustion styles?

I converted my gas genny to a tri-fuel (Gas, LP, & NG) but have only used gas and LP so far.

11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Tri-fuel small Gensets are relatively easy to setup... My Brother "The Engineer" has such a Setup going into the space he built under his New Garage.... it is a 20Kw Generac Genset, built around Chevy Engine. It came with a Gasoline Carb, which he converted to Tri-Fuel, and buried a 1000USG Propane Tank, in the Back Yard. He has NG, from the Utility Company, feeding the House already, and had the Utility swap out the Meter/Regulator for one large enough to run not only the Genset, but the Water Heater, Cookstove, Dryer, Furnace, and two Fireplaces. If the NG stops flowing, he can switch all of these over to Propane, and continue as normal. If the Electrical, quits, the fires up the GenSet to keep the Batteries Charged, and uses the Cooling Water, and Exhaust Energy, to heat the domestic Hot Water, and the Furnace, via Heat Exchangers. once he finishes the Kitchen Remodel, the next thing is Solar Panels & Collectors on the Roof, both Electrical and Hot Water... This is what keeps him out of trouble... and as a PE, he can stamp his own Plans, for the Zoning and Building Code Enforcers, most of which have absolutely NO IDEA, what he is doing....

Tri-fuel is considered Gasoline/NaturalGas/Propane... and there are AfterMarket Kits for Gensets as small as 1.5 Kw.... If anyone wants to get into that, they should check things out over on Antique Engines Antique Tractors Steam Engines and Old Iron where the Pros hang out, who know about such stuff....Man-Decades of experience just waiting for someone to ask, over there.... TriFuel/Diesel is a very special Case, and I have never seen one smaller than 250Kw and that was an abortion....

12. Yard Dart

Bi-fuel vehicle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

13. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

About six or so years ago almost the entire state of new mexico (except for albuquerque) was without natural gas service for about a week in the winter . I would say every plumber in NM and the surrounding area was running around working 14-16 hour days lighting pilots and other gas type of services. Needless to say there was much suffering. I have never seen more appreciative people. The stores were completely out of electric heaters, i heard there were fist fights over heaters at walmart in taos. Never be without back up heat or if you are elderly back up cooling. I don't care of you live in nyc or barrows ak, never, never count on the grid, be it electrical, gas, or water.

14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

In my opinion no we are not prepared, in my husbands opinion we are. He is stuck on short term and I think long term. One of us will be proven right.

Tracy and ditch witch like this.
  15. ghrit

Yeppers, there are dual fuel ng and diesel, but they are large machines in special applications. I had a gas attack in my skull when I suggested that idea for a home machine. There are now some ng/diesel vehicles being developed and field tested. Some are for sale as well. The problem is a lack of ng fueling stations.

16. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

With two generators, I have heat and power, as long as the fuel holds out. Stove, water and heat are all on natural gas, propane heaters (2) and grill will back up heating and cooking. Water can always be heated on the stove. Yes, it would cost me more money, but I am warm, fed, and secure.

17. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Wood heat, solar and wind power, generators on standby just in case...yeah, I think we'll do ok if the power drops along with the temps. Still have some more wood to split for next year's heat. Can use the wood stove, propane, kerosene or gasoline for cooking, if required.

18. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

We've got a ventless LP heater and enough propane to keep it going for a while. I'd like another tank though. LOTS of blankets, including wool ones. Wish we had a fireplace... next house that will be a requirement.

As far as cooking, the Traegar needs electricity but my old woodburner grill will do just fine and we have close to a cord of pecan and mesquite. Also have a tailgater grill and tons of charcoal. And two camp stoves that use that Coleman fuel... plenty of fuel for them.

We can charge phones, laptops off the truck inverter if we have to. Freezers will be fine... they're out in the garage where it's always cold anyway. I don't worry about power going out on them in the winter.

19. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

We have a heat pump, furnace and wood stove with a blower for heat. Only use the wood stove for heat since firewood is available on the property and I save lots of money over paying for the electric heat. Have a small solar setup (3KW) and converted gens that run off of gas or propane for AC. Bought 2 Aspen Thermoelectric Fans that use the stove heat for power. They are not cheap, but if you don't want to use your stored fuel for AC these things are great.

Tully Mars likes this.
  20. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

You may want to think about adding a rocket stove to your preps. You can use twigs or any small fuel to get this thing going. I have a manufactured one the costs around $100 or you can make a homemade one.

This is what I bought. Kind of small but works great.
    Grover Rocket Stove Customer Reviews

4 block homemade rocket stove.

nathan, Cathail, Brokor and 1 other person like this.
  1. hot diggity
  2. JC Refuge
  3. Andy the Aussie
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Gator 45/70
  8. 3M-TA3
  9. ColtCarbine
  10. Prepper12
  11. Motomom34
  12. Thunder5Ranch