Man found guilty of illegally owning BB gun

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by stg58, Mar 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

Stupid SOB should be dead but an illegal BB gun?
    Five years in prison for a BB gun? Looks like a suicide by cop attempt.

Man shot by Edina police found guilty of illegally owning BB gun

A man shot by Edina police in August was convicted of illegally owning a BB gun.

Colin Peter Reinsmoen, 36, was found guilty Monday after four hours of deliberation. His sentencing is April 19 and he is expected to receive five years in prison.

According to the criminal complaint, and testimony in the week-long trial, Edina police were called to an Edina home on Aug. 8 by Reinsmoen’s parents, who said their son had threatened them.

Upon arrival, police found Reinsmoen with his hands covered by a blanket. He initially refused to show the officers his hands and then threw the blanket aside and pointed what appeared to be a handgun directly at one of the officers.

Two officers shot at Reinsmoen multiple times, seriously wounding him. A black semi-automatic BB gun was recovered.

Reinsmoen’s defense was that the gun did not qualify as a firearm. The jury disagreed because he already had convictions for simple robbery and fifth-degree possession of a controlled substance, and he was prohibited from possessing a firearm. The jury acquitted Reinsmoen of second-degree assault.

2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey Site Supporter

Once had a Whammo (also sold under other names) bb/dart/pellet pistol that looked like a Colt 45.

I had enough sense to always treat it like the gun it wasn't.

3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

A BB gun is not a firearm. A firearm is a device that propels a projectile at high velocity by use of an explosive force. If energy stored in spring qualifies as an explosive force, then all bows and slingshots are firearms as well. Compressed air is also not an explosive - it is compressed air.

Reinsmoen is an idiot and this appears to be a good shooting. That the pistol was a bb gun is immaterial.

Taku, UncleMorgan, tacmotusn and 3 others like this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator

They couldn't find ANYTHING Else to convict him on, so the came up with this BS Prosecution... The Defense must and been Totally BrainDead.....

5. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+ Site Supporter+

Totally agree, because being a butthead isn't illegal...yet.

UncleMorgan and Tikka like this.
  6. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Monkey

I agree with everything above but have to question the marksmanship of the arresting officers. Sheesh!!

7. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Well... Supreme Court just ruled that a stun gun was covered by 2A, we shouldn't pick and choose what is and what isn't.

Rancher

8. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Well it depends.
    Up until last summer, we (in Michigan) could not order an airgun via internet nor mail order as it was classified by Michigan as a firearm. I guess they'd want you to go to a FFL to complete the transfer .. LOL

NRA-ILA | Michigan: Air Gun Reclassification Package Signed Into Law

Thankfully that nonsense is over.

I think NJ, RI and IL still classify them as firearms, Maybe MN too.

Know the laws in your home states lest ye get tagged as a felon.

9. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Be careful you don't bite your peanut butter and jelly sandwich into the wrong shape, either...
    Idiot lawmakers will be the death of us. I believe one of our liberal towns up the valley has an ordinance about shooting BB guns with the city limits. It's coming to the time where we will have to tell them all to eff off.

Seepalaces, Taku and UncleMorgan like this.
  10. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

The inventor-maker of the Bug-a-Salt fly killer learned the hard way that many countries classify anything that uses air to propel a projectile as a weapon, most notable was Australia.

Rancher

Seepalaces and UncleMorgan like this.
  11. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I

I totally agree....parliamentary hot air should be classified as a weapon of mass destruction....rarely explosive, but often incendiary. ;)

12. Motomom34

Motomom34 Moderator Moderator Site Supporter++

He brandish a weapon at two officers. He must have removed the orange tip that says do not remove because it could be confused with a real gun. Sounds like it was modified. He should be charged with something. Unsure if the charge of illegally owning a BB gun is correct but he did threaten two officers of the law.

LOL! Does make one wonder. I have heard they get free ammo to practice, reduced range fees. :rolleyes:

13. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

I don't know who's idea it was to put orange tips on non-lethal firearms, must have been a liberal, I mean how hard would it be for me to paint the tip of my AK-47 with orange paint, instant non-lethal until I fire it.

Rancher

14. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Monkey

Oh, that one was for the children.....:rolleyes:

15. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I don't know about everyone else; if someone pulled a BB gun on me, I'd hurt him. I'm not going to grab it and read the label as for all I know it could say Daisy or S&W. I'm in a life threatening situation were seconds matter. It's my lefe and important to me; YMMV with your life.

Pointing guns or things that look like a gun at others makes them fear for their life.

Dont, Yard Dart, chelloveck and 4 others like this.
  16. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Monkey

Rule One - Never point a gun (toy or not) at anything you are not willing to destroy.

I'm with @Tikka here, my life is important enough that I would act to protect it.

17. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@Dunerunner
    Ditto and I don't care if it is you, me or a cop; I don't hold anyone else to a different criteria.

18. ghrit

ghrit Ambulatory anachronism Administrator Founding Member

I'm not so sure that BB guns fall in the same class as nerf, airsoft, or paint guns that need orange tips. Either way, don't point it at me.

19. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I eat vegetables. My friends are not vegetables.

In fact, and under the law, a bb gun is a weapon (an "arm"), right along with swords, shillelaghs, maces, and the occasional knee-mortar. And it's quite capable of inflicting serious and/or lethal injury.

So he got a ration of lead that was lawfully (if not efficiently) administered,

But, however much as the bozo in possession might have wished it was, his weapon wasn't a firearm.

I think he was wrongfully charged and improperly convicted, because being prohibited from owning or possessing a fire arm does not extend to being prohibited from owning or possessing an "arm" of any other type.

Like a kitchen knife, for example. Should we be re-busting felons because they have the capability to cut a steak or slice an onion? Nah. We should only re-bust them when they proceed or attempt to vegetate someone.

It was also not proper that Bozoman (the secret not-so-superhero) was found guilty by the jury because he had priors.

He either had a firearm or he didn't, and in this case he was convicted of having one when he didn't.

He definitely should be appealing, and suing for wrongful imprisonment on the side.

20. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I eat vegetables. My friends are not vegetables.

Actually, that has been done several times. At least once by a team of bank robbers. I understand the police get very unhappy when they run into someone with an orange-tipped firearm.

Seepalaces, HK_User and Motomom34 like this.
  1. Motomom34
  2. Yard Dart
  3. 3M-TA3
  4. oil pan 4
  5. Gopherman
  6. OldDude49
  7. Yard Dart
  8. OldDude49
  9. stg58
  10. OldDude49
  11. DarkLight
  12. Motomom34